Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 72
Topic: What’s the last movie you saw in a theater? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Went to see Red Sparrow last night and I enjoyed it well enough. Jennifer Lawrence did a good job convincing in the role, and I found it to be a quite enthralling spy thriller. I did find the violence to be a bit too intense/nasty. I did like that they had seeded the components to the denouement/twist throughout the movie, so that although it is a surprise twist, it isn't a cheat. 
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

JUMANJI: WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE

Funny as heck. Heidi was laughing so hard she actually snorted a few times. I liked that the entire cast was given a chance to shine, rather than it being a `Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart, then everyone else' film. 

Definitely recommend seeing it, and we already decided before it was even halfway over with that we're getting it on Blu-Ray or DVD when it is released.

Not posting spoilers, except it does reference a few things from the original movie besides just using the Jumanji game and setting.

Actually going to another movie sometime today: A WRINKLE IN TIME.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2018 at 12:20am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

THE HURRICANE HEIST

It was okay, but I'd recommend waiting for it to hit cable or DVD, unless you really want to see it. Slow in parts, for one thing, and some `twists' were predictable. (For example, I called one character actually being a bad guy way before the reveal.) We went to a 4:30 showing, and there was only one other person in the theater besides the three of us. And he left about 20 minutes in and never returned.

I've seen Ryan Kwanten in worse movies, but Maggie Grace must've not been able to find anything better to do. And Kwanten uses the same accent he used as Jason Stackhouse on True Blood, despite TB being set in Louisiana and this movie taking place in Alabama. (And his character is an Alabama native.)  Only a few of the stunts are fairly cool, as is the way one bad guy gets taken out. And a few neat tricks involve an armored storm chaser vehicle one of the leads drives, but nothing spectacular happens as far as the action is concerned.

We planned on going to A Wrinkle In Time, as I said in my previous post, but decided not to seeing that several parents with kids were ordering tickets to it. (Easily a dozen kids.)  I wish we had gone to GAME NIGHT instead of THE HURRICANE HEIST.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2018 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

A QUIET PLACE

You could hear a pin drop throughout the film. Such an effective movie. Possibly the most stressful time I have ever had watching a movie.

No fat, at all. And it is just relentless in its tension. 

The cinema was packed as well. Highly recommend.

On a side note - this is the first time I have been to the cinema in Canada. You certainly do things differently than us Brits. The first thing that shocked me was that people were holding conversations during the adverts at full volume. We hold conversations at hushed volumes.

And then you all started to get your phones out to play a collective game, trying to throw popcorn in to the correct bag - what????
What is this? I came to watch a film, not play games for 20 minutes. Is it some 'get it out of your system' thing to make sure you all behave during the film or something?

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2018 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

RAMPAGE

Matt Reed, Rampage is an example of a game I enjoy.

I've complained about other video game adaptations focusing on the parts of games I hate, but RAMPAGE delivered the parts of the game I loved: monsters destroying buildings and civilian casualties.

The movie is apprximately one hundred pounds of hammers stuffed into a fifteen pound bag, which is how I like my monster-smash. It might be tooooo careless and dumb for some's tastes but I had fun.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2018 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I also saw and enjoyed A QUIET PLACE. I like these kind of creative experiments - it felt like the writers came up with the scenario and said 'what's the worst thing that could happen if you can't make any noise' and went with it. Good stuff and I can't remember a movie theater being that quiet in years.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2018 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Last - BLACK PANTHER

Loved it, loved it, loved it. 

Next - AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR

I am anticipating this one like a thirteen-year-old kid. It's a wonderful feeling. 

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2018 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

A quiet place

very nice movie. Me and my son loved it !
Back to Top profile | search | www

Gregory Harshman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 9:57pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

THE DEATH OF STALIN I had such high hopes for this. This movie was written and directed by the creator of Veep (which I love) and the snippets of it I had seen online looked great. However, the laughs were few and far between and the film felt much longer than its 107 minutes runtime.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2018 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Since I last posted here, I've gone to see:

A QUIET PLACE

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR

and *may* be going to see Rampage later today. (Next classic video game I want made into a movie? Dig-Dug.)

They're already talking sequel for A QUIET PLACE. Frankly, I do not believe it needs one. 

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR, though? GO SEE ASAP! Call in sick or borrow money if you have to. It's THAT damn good. (End cutscene is after all the credits, not during. And it is a must-see one.)

Edited by Brian Floyd on 03 May 2018 at 1:16pm

Phil Geiger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 7:04pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

CASABLANCA (1942). They screened a 35mm print at The Paramount in Austin last night. I had never seen it, so we went. A great, great movie! Funnier than I had expected, too.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2018 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY

Saw it last weekend... it's far from the trainwreck that some are making it out to be, but it's not great, either.  The overall response from the audience I saw it with was notably lackluster.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 9:17pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

INCREDIBLES 2

With the whole family... pretty much a total blast.  A little top-heavy with set-up and plot, compared to Part 1, and didn't seem quite as laugh-out-loud funny as the first, but still a fun time.  The nearly-sold-out audience applauded at the end of this one!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 12:25am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I enjoyed INCREDIBLES 2 more than the first one, but oddly, I thought the plot was the weakest part. Everything with the villain was telegraphed way early in the movie, and I spent the majority of the movie waiting for the bad guy to get on with it already. Mr. Incredible's struggles with being a stay-at-home dad while Elastigirl was out working seemed cliched, straight out of an 80s movie.

But the epicness of the superhero fights made up for the weakness of the plot. They really captured the spirit of superhero battles on the comic page in a way that live-action movies with CGI still cannot. Even Jack-Jack's battle with a raccoon.

Also, BAO, the short that preceded THE INCREDIBLES 2, was great. I saw it with a mid-week crowd, and they applauded the audacity of it.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 8:00pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Took my son to see:  JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM

Never not enjoyable, but for my money, also the single most derivative, dopey, preposterous, and at times just downright stupid entry in the JURASSIC series.

Put another way:  I never understood some of the criticism or outright hostility towards 2015's JURASSIC WORLD, which I found to be perfectly decent (and my kids love it).  But for anyone who hated that one?  They will absolutely loathe FALLEN KINGDOM!

Gregory Harshman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 6:31am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Won't You Be My Neighbor? (2018)

A wonderful portrait of a wonderful man. When the film was over, everyone in the theatre gave it a round of applause. There are so many great moments in this film. I can't recommend this highly enough.

Edited by Gregory Harshman on 25 June 2018 at 6:31am

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

TAG- Cute comedy, nothing great or anything I'm likely
to revisit again.

Charming real-life story it's loosely based on though.

Edited by Joe Hollon on 25 June 2018 at 2:02pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2018 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

The Incredibles 2.

I liked many of the same things as I did from the first film -- the 60s chic, the Bondian/Barryian score, the attention to detail in creating the world in which the heroes exist, and the main characters. 

I though the plot of the first film was better and, as Michael says above, it was pretty clear who behind the evil scheme from early on in the film.

The action is really fun though. All the bits with the Incredibile, the runaway maglev, the final act with the boat, great stuff. My favourite section was actually Elastigirl tracking down the Screenslaver and breaking into his lair. In fact, it was so good, it makes me wish maybe they had gone down more of that straight action-thriller route, and ditching some of the domestic humour. That said, Jack-Jack's battle with the Raccoon was also very good and Edna's joy/fascination at dealing with a problem like Jack-Jack.

I'd classify it as solid sequel territory -- more of what we enjoyed before.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2018 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Just saw JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM with my son. Definitely not as good as its predecessor but we both had a good time watching it. 

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2018 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

DEADPOOL 2. 

More of the same. Not a bad thing, if you liked the first one. 

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2018 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Incredibles 2 on Sunday, Deadpool 2 today. I enjoyed both.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 72
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version