Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 69 Next >>
Topic: What’s the last movie you saw in a theater? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2016 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

GHOSTBUSTERS (2016). While not the absolute trainwreck I'd heard it described, this is just not a very good movie. Nary a laugh to be had. The leads, I thought, were fully onboard, and giving their best, but they were saddled with an uninspired, unfunny, by-the-numbers story/script. 

The matinee I saw it in was completely empty, apart from myself and the occasional appearance of the theater usher. While I enjoyed what was essentially a private screening room (Ah! so this is how the other half live!), only two weeks out, this does not bode well for the future of this "franchise". 

Which is a shame, because with the right director and a decent script, this cast seems capable of delivering an entertaining movie.
Back to Top profile | search

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2016 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

LIGHTS OUT - A fun little scary movie - akin to recent movies like 'Mama' and 'Oculus.' I like that there was some depth to the characters and the link between the monster and the characters was interesting and tied into the themes nicely. Still slight - even at 81 minutes parts of it felt padded but enjoyable for sure.

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2016 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

GHOSTBUSTERS: David summed it up for me in his first paragraph.

Edited by Michael Arndt on 27 July 2016 at 6:23pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 27 August 2016 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

JASON BOURNE -- About on par with the earlier three, an entertaining action/thriller that's somewhat dragged down by an interminable car chase in the final act.

Edited by Thom Price on 27 August 2016 at 8:14pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

vishard chandool
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2016 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

" Don't Breathe"

A well made tense thriller. Stephen Lang was fantastic.

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2016 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

TRAIN TO BUSAN.

Easily one of my top 3 movies of the year. If you have a chance to watch it, just run ! 

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2016 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

SULLY with my parents on Wednesday, and HELL OR HIGH WATER with my Dad on Thursday.

Saw both the previous week (by myself) and enjoyed them enough to see them again.

Jeff Bridges is a National Treasure, (as is Hanks of course...)

Laura Linney seemed a bit over the top in SULLY the first time, but, upon watching with my parents, I realized my Mom would react EXACTLY the same way. (My Dad and I got a good chuckle out of that)

HELL OR HIGH WATER was great, and the final scene is so good, I could sit and watch the next two hours, were there to be two more hours!

SULLY intrigued me, as I knew only superficially what happened on the river. Aaron Eckhart is perfectly cast as Hank's sidekick. Eastwood's fingerprints are all over this movie, right down to the post credits, which had my parents and I in tears. (I left early the first time I saw it!)

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 24 September 2016 at 6:02pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN (2016)

I've not seen the original and I don't generally like Westerns; the reasons I went to see it are 1) I like Chris Pratt and 2) it was a cloudy Saturday.

The movie is good, although I dosed off for a bit in the middle.  I found the tone of the film to be a bit odd; too exaggerated to be a straight Western but not stylized enough to work at the same level as, say, THE QUICK AND THE DEAD. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2016 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN

One-night only re-release through Fathom Events... only downside was the film started a full half hour late, due to an almost 10-minute (!!) shill for a new making-of book from Mel Brooks, plus another 20 minutes of live-feed from L.A. of Brooks reminiscing about the movie.

But once it finally started, it was glorious, up on the big screen. And my 12-year old daughter accompanied me and had the giggles throughout, as always... it's one of her favorites!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2016 at 6:06am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Shaun, are you actually complaining that you got 20 minutes of Mel Brooks reminiscing? Was he that bad?

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2016 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Not at all, James... he was his usual wonderful self, but the live-feed presentation was never advertised in any listings in advance, that I'd seen. So between the insufferably-long photo montage of the film (which turned out, ultimately, to be simply an ad for the new making-of book), and then another 20 minutes of very rough, not-well-rehearsed live feed from Los Angeles, I was almost ready to complain to the management and ask, "There is the actual FILM with this presentation, is there not???"

The movie was supposed to start at 8pm... it didn't start until 8:30. That's quite a long wait... especially when you're with a daughter who has school the next morning!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2016 at 5:46am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

OK, point taken. But isn't there usually 30 mins of adverts before a film anyway?

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2016 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Depends. In the States, anyway, the pre-show ads might start 10 minutes before the showtime, with coming attractions for another 10 minutes after that.

Past one-night-only re-releases I've seen (JAWS, GREASE, SINGIN' IN THE RAIN) have usually been sponsored by Turner Classic Movies, and will have no pre-show ads or coming attractions whatsoever, and only a 5-minute intro to the film, usually a host giving a quick history about the making-of said film, and it's place in pop culture.

Not sure if Fathom Events is outside the norm with their own sponsored re-releases... just wasn't what I was expecting.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 08 October 2016 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN (2016)

I read the novel last year.  The film oddly changes to the locale from London to New York, while keeping the central character British.  An enjoyable psychological thriller although, as with many stories of this nature, the characters are less people than plot devices.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 09 October 2016 at 2:05am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

DEEPWATER HORIZON (2016) - Edge of your seat thriller that doesn't diminish those who lost their lives in the biggest oil spill in US history.  It's both a disaster film and a real life treatise all rolled into one.  Highly recommended.  

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2016 at 2:32am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Shaun - thanks for the clarification. Makes sense why you were a bit frustrated now.

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2016 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I want to meet Mel Brooks in the best possible way.

Taavi Suhonen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2016 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

The local cinema had a special re-release of Rear Window today, so I went to see it with a friend who had never seen it before. I'd never seen it on the big screen before either and since it had been a long time since I saw it at all, there were a lot of details I'd forgotten, making the experience feel quite fresh for me as well.

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2016 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Mrs. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children with my 10 year old daughter and wife.

Daughter liked it- though it was gross and scary at times but fun
Wife- thought it was a lot different than the book
Me- always happy to see Terrence Stamp but mostly meh otherwise
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2016 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN
Casting in this movie really took me out in a few spots. Everyone was
fine and did their jobs, but, I was underwhelmed.
One bit of dark humor at the end. I'd say 75% of the theater laughed
when it happened; even my mother, who is usually very squeamish.

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2016 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

THE ACCOUNTANT

Really enjoyed it, but I have to admit part of my interest was due to the fact that I have a daughter with autism, which is an integral part of the plot. Still, I thought it was an entertaining action movie and the cast (Ben Affleck, Anna Kendrick, John Bernthal, J.K. Simmons, Jean Smart, John Lithgow, Jeffrey Tambor, and Cynthia Addai-Robinson) was solid throughout. Worth the cost of the ticket and some popcorn.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2016 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

The wife wanted to see TO JOEY, WITH LOVE last night. I had no idea what it would be about other than being another sappy love story. Boy, was I wrong. It is basically a documentary on the last 2 1/2 years of country singer Joey Martin Feek's life as shortly after the birth of their baby, she was diagnosed with cancer. Feek is 1/2 of the country music duo Joey & Rory. Her husband, Rory, wrote, produced and directed the film from countless hours of footage filmed from that timeframe. I had never heard of them, but they we, apparently, just starting to become a BIG DEAL in country music. The film is pretty much a love letter and a touching goodbye to his wife as he begins his life as a single dad raising a two-year old daughter with Down's syndrome. It's not one everyone needs to rush and see (and I'm not even sure you can, last night was the only night it was showing in my theater) but it's a nice film that really makes you realize that tragedies like cancer can happen to ANYBODY, and to appreciate those around you and give them all the love you can because you never know when it will be taken away. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2016 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Dr Strange. I think this is the first time I've been to the cinema since May, probably the longest stretch since I was a pre-teen... And I thought it was pretty good.

They tried to give us some things we hadn't seen before visually, which I appreciated, and it had some decent emotional oomph at times.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2016 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

DOCTOR STRANGE
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2016 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Last week: DOCTOR STRANGE (in 3-D) with my 6-year old son... it felt good to take him to see a superhero film so close to the holidays. (Back in December 1978, when I was 6, my mother made the decision to NOT take me to see SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE, something which still stings a bit for me to this day.)

This week: TROLLS, with the whole family. Lots of fun, and DreamWorks continues to produce some of the best-looking CGI animated kids' flicks out there. This and KUNG FU PANDA 3 are two of the most gorgeous animated films I've ever seen!

<< Prev Page of 69 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version