Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 159 Next >>
Topic: What’s the last movie you saw in a theater? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2019 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

We did a double feature (over two consecutive days) - First, Angel has Fallen. I wasn't expecting much, but I really enjoyed this chapter (third in the series of "Fallen" films).  It's strictly a park your brains at the door kind of film.

The second film we saw the next day was Angry Birds 2.  This was a harmless film - good for one viewing.  I didn't see the first one, but was able to get into the sequel easily.
Back to Top profile | search

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2019 at 6:15am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Good Boys - A really sweet film at heart.  Lots of crude language and humor (in the vein of Superbad...but not quite as well done).  The kids in the movie are gold.  Each with personalities so distinct that you really want to see what they would be like in a few years.

Basically a story about kids growing up....and away from each other.  The ‘sex’ bits in the marketing are way overplayed.  

Fun and funny.

Thomas Price
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2019 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

GOOD BOYS (2019) -- better than expected; sweet and funny, with just a dash of vulgarity.

A few weeks back, I LOVE LUCY: A COLORIZED CELEBRATION -- 5 colorized episodes and a short documentary on the colorizing process.  Generally not a fan of the colorizing process, but the technique has greatly improved through the years.  A somewhat odd experience to watch a sitcom on a big screen with an audience, but I've seldom been in a theater with such sustained and hearty laughter.  Not a good reflection on the 2019 movie year when the best experience I've had is a nearly 70 year old TV show.

Edited by Thomas Price on 06 September 2019 at 3:59pm

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2019 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

IT CHAPTER TWO: Not as lean as the first part, partially because it embraces the sort of nonsensical weirdness of the book - lots of supernatural mumbo jumbo this time around - but the adults are mostly spot on and the heart of the story's still there.  It's certainly longer than it needs to be, though.  I liked the first better but this is a good enough conclusion that hits the right emotional beats.  

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2019 at 8:21pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It Chapter 2. It's basically the first movie all over again, beat-for-beat, scene-for-scene, fight-location for fight-location.
A good movie but you don't need to see both parts 1 and 2. If you've seen either one, you've seen both movies.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2019 at 10:15pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Haven't seen Part 2 yet but I knew this would happen as soon as the project's format was announced.

If you split the kids and adults story into two different films it's gonna turn out like seeing basically the same movie twice.

I'm in the minority here but I liked the 1990 series better and I find Tim Curry's performance scarier than Alexander Sarksgaard's more stylized and CGI'd one.

Thomas Price
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2019 at 6:38pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

IT CHAPTER 2.  Enjoyable, but less impressive than the first part.  Part 1 was genuinely creepy-scary, but this one is more funhouse thrills-style horror.  Also rather overlong and repetitive; not just with part 1, but with itself.  Not a bad film, mind you; it just doesn't match the first.

Not entirely surprising for me; I've never cared for the grown-up parts of either the novel or the TV mini-series all that much.  Kids fighting a monster is just more compelling than adults.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2019 at 3:04am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

IT Chapter 2 is technically impressive. Lots of expensive looking effects and production values, a good solid cast. Even if Jessica Chastain just seemed a little too thin and 'wiry' to me to be a grown up Beverly. (Though I guess you could say much the same of Ben. Haha!)

SPOILERS AHEAD...

But on a more serious note however, I really struggled with the drawn out scenes of kids being murdered by Pennywise again. I get that we needed the Georgie scene in the first one. It's an iconic beginning that sets everything in motion, and I wouldn't have wanted to see that removed. But for the second part did we really need another scene where first a little girl and then the second little boy meet the same fate? And in such gory fashion to boot?

Surely we'd established what was happening now and didn't need to keep showing it? Doing so again and again just felt very distasteful to me, and so completely unnecessary that including them just feels ghoulish. And then drawing them out in the way they did, almost felt like the movie was turning into some kind of sickening, almost voyeuristic advertisement for the type of monsters that would do so in real life.

Admittedly this might be an overreaction on my part. But I just felt physically sick after those scenes. Maybe I'm just not cut out for horror movies...

P.S. Sorry if this offends folks who did enjoy the movie. I'm certainly not criticizing anyone who did. I'm just quite taken aback right now at having such a strong negative reaction towards having viewed it. That really surprised me. So I guess I'm just processing why now..

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2019 at 9:29pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

IT: CHAPTER TWO

Loved it, maybe even a little more than Part 1.  One of those rare, big-budget horror films that somehow manages to be a big crowd-pleaser as well.

Both kid and adult casts were excellent.  For my money, James Ransone isn't getting nearly enough press as he should, as the adult Eddie... he's so much fun to watch, and plays off really well against Bill Hader.

The over-the-top nature of it all really gelled for me this time, where I was a little iffy with "Chapter One."  The end battle was so much more impressive than the TV version!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE (1979)
40th Anniversary re-release

For two days only, through Fathom Events...

It's not great TREK, but it's not bad TREK, either... to me, it's always been perfectly fine, especially as more time goes by, and it can be judged against other, later iterations that ranged from silly (THE FINAL FRONTIER; NEMESIS); to non-essential retcons (ENTERPRISE; DISCOVERY); or to flat-out insulting and bone-headed (the Abramsverse).

Watching it on the big screen again, after 40 years, was a real treat for me.  The "human adventure" is the least compelling aspect, but it was still great to see Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley, et al again; and really, the main reason to pay a $10+ ticket was to absorb the tremendous special effects and the sight of the Enterprise, and to hear that glorious, booming Jerry Goldsmith score, arguably the best one he ever conceived.

It's not a perfect film, but nostalgia rules the day for me on this one (I was only 7 when it first came out), and by the time Kirk exclaims, "Out there... thataway!" at the end, I had a big, dopey smile on my face.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 15 September 2019 at 3:04pm

Tyler Kloster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2019 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

AD ASTRA.

The space movie I really, really wanted INTERSTELLAR to be. I loved this one, although I suspect it's definitely not for everyone.

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2019 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Loved AD ASTRA, but I'll have to watch it again to see if it was as good as I thought the first time. Only think I hated were the "moon pirates." So damn stupid it felt like an idea forced on the director by some studio executive to beef up the action.

Don Z

<< Prev Page of 159 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version