Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 159 Next >>
Topic: What’s the last movie you saw in a theater? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2019 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It's rare that I do this after viewing only one film by a specific director, but Ari Aster's HEREDITARY repulsed me so much, I will be going out of my way to skip MIDSOMMAR.

Not a fan at all of his overall approach to horror material.

Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 6:25am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Yesterday

Entertaining premise, likeable lead actors and the film is good fun, though I felt it sort of lost its way a bit once he starts getting famous. Himesh Patel makes a good everyman and nicely underplays his part with suitable humility, but he maybe underplays it a bit too much once he starts to feel trapped in the prison of his own making and the resolution seems a bit too quick and easy. Great songs of course, seamlessly and inventively worked into a cohesive narrative and I did find much of the film gently amusing, and sometimes outright funny. Patel has a lovely tone to his voice and the film does succeed in drawing you into his situation; the musical performances come across as very genuine, helped by the live vocals.  

Jason G. Michalski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yesterday 

Really liked it a lot, except for conversation near the end of the movie that sorta took me out. It wasn't bad at all, I just thought it would have been better if it didn't happen. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2019 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

ALADDIN (2019)

Yet another tiresome, mediocre live-action Disney entry, and for me, the biggest disappointment so far this year.

The whole family wants to see the new LION KING next week, but after that one, I'm probably swearing off these live-action "reimaginings" for good. Almost every one I've seen has been saddled with perfunctory scripts, lifeless acting and poor new songs.

The "Disney magic" has been sadly lacking from these non-animated attempts for years now.  They bring nothing new or noteworthy to the table, aside from the usual splendid production values and special effects.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2019 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Conceptually, the Lion King remake seems to fit with these live-action reimaganings, as you call them, but watching the trailer recently made me realise there's not one jot of it that appears to be live action. As far as I can tell, it is some weird 100% CGI recreation of life.

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

YESTERDAY.  My wife and I went to see it.  She liked it.  I throughly enjoyed it.  

Some of the throwaway references to things the lead character remembered that no one else in the world (including GOOGLE) did not are a hoot.  There were a couple of other twists that I won't mention here that totally made sense in the film,

I highly recommend this one.  Next up for me will be Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, which I'll see in a couple of weeks.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2019 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

HOBBS & SHAW.

Idris Elba was a great choice for the bad guy, but the movie left one mystery unanswered that will hopefully be answered in the sequel: The identity of Elba's character's boss. 

Couple of surprise appearances in the film that you will either love or hate. And no, its not anyone from the franchise the movie is spun off of, though Helen Mirren is back as Shaw's mother. No one from THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS appears, but Mr. Nobody is briefly mentioned.

They've made sort of a big deal about Dwayne Johnson's cousin Roman Reigns appearing, but if he had any lines they were left on the cutting room floor. But he does help fight the bad guys, and yes he hits a couple of wrestling moves. (Sadly, not his Superman Punch finisher, though)

Some of Shaw's past as a bad guy is explained, which I liked. The banter between Hobbs and Shaw doesn't get old fast, like you'd expect it would, and a lot of it is actually pretty funny. There are a few too many comedic moments in the film for my taste, which is the only negative thing I really have to say.

#JusticeForHan

Edited by Brian Floyd on 13 August 2019 at 8:52pm

Bryan Eacret
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2019 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

HOBBS & SHAW is the best superhero movie I've seen in about a year.

I'm not a fan of the franchise at all, but I had a lot of fun watching this movie. Good action, heroic deeds, a stand-out bad guy, playing with hot-wheels car stunts and a coherent plot. Couldn't ask for more. Very entertaining. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2019 at 9:17pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'll add one more thing about the movie:

After seeing this, Idris Elba deserves his own action movie where he's the hero. He was great as the bad guy.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2019 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I`m a recent convert to the Fast and Furious movies, i
enjoy them for what they are, but cringe at some of the
"You can type this shit, but you sure as hell can`t say
it" dialogue!

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2019 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I've said before that HOBBS & SHAW looks like a ridiculous movie...but, not necessarily in a way that I wouldn't see it.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2019 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

A few nights ago, a re-release of HELLO, DOLLY! (1969)

Surprisingly pleasant and fun, and it's my two daughters' new musical obsession.  Not flawless--Walter Matthau and Barbra Streisand are hopelessly mismatched, and this must have seemed impossibly anachronistic and instantly-dated, released only a few months after "Woodstock" captivated the headlines-- but it also looked great, and turned out to be a perfect antidote to all the lousy news inundating us all these days.

And when the great Louis Armstrong appeared, I did my best to hoot my approval as loud as I could!

<< Prev Page of 159 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version