Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: The Beast and Nightcrawler (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2009 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 1  

When the Beast turned from gray to black Marvel also reduced his extra
super strength and took away his near instantaneous healing factor.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2009 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 2  

What exactly are The Beasts powers?  I've thought he was kind of a super-acrobat?  Is that mistaken?  Thanks.

Craig Bogart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2009 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 3  

One of the earliest comics I ever saw was the issue where the Beast joins the Avengers.  Not only is the blue-furred version the "definitive" one in my mind, but I also prefer him as an Avenger rather than an X-Man.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

William Lukash
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2009 at 9:26am | IP Logged | 4  

Just piling on about the blue, fuzzy Beast being a favorite.  That's how he was when I started reading comics.
Back to Top profile | search

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2009 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 5  

I have to admit that the Beast with hair is the only version I have known in comics.  I still prefer to keep things as close to original as possible so I would love for him to somehow go back to being normal looking.

Also, I have been wanting that more since this second mutation Beast version has kicked in (or third now or whatever).  This new version just looks horrible to me.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 August 2009 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 6  

The personal starting point is SO important! What we see and read first shapes out impressions of characters in many ways more than anything that comes after. See the STAR WARS threads! If you didn't see the original movie before you saw the prequels and sequels, odds are you'll never really "get it". I have my own versions. Much as I can appreciate the earlier and later iterations, up to a point, "my" Batman is the smiling guy who wore blue and gray and fought aliens. "My" X-Men are the original teens in their school uniforms. And so on.

Keith Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2009 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 7  

and Nightcrawler was not described as furry from the
outset.

I thought they always called him fuzzy elf, (or at
least Kitty did). I always imagined him covered with a
short fuzz of hair.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2009 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 8  

I like the blue Beast, but I'd like to see the reset button pressed on the original X-Men.  The furry beast is, like many others, the first to which I was introduced, but I've since read all the old issues and the original Beast had a charm all his own.

All of the original X-Men are basically unrecognizable today.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 August 2009 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 9  

…and Nightcrawler was not described as furry from the outset.

++

I thought they always called him fuzzy elf, (or at least Kitty did). I always imagined him covered with a short fuzz of hair.

••

You were born in December 1972. Nightcrawler was introduced to the world in February of 1975. Unless you started reading X-MEN when you were 2 years old, you don't really have an "always" as far as this character is concerned. And Kitty made her debut in October 1979, so even if she did refer to Kurt as "fuzzy" there's almost five years before she started doing so.

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2009 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 10  

This is the first reference I can remember to Nightcrawler being furry. It's
from X-Men 109, in 1978.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2009 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 11  

Taavi wrote:
He was back to looking human in early issues of X-Factor. I don't know if it was meant to be a permanent change or if him turning blue again was the plan all along, though.

He was actually blue-furred for the first 3 issues, then some chemical serum nixed the fur. He stayed in his original form for more than two years, growing stronger and stronger but also less and less intelligent (for some reason). Then in #33, some new chemical reaction turned him blue and furry again, with his original intelligence restored and retaining his new strength level.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 August 2009 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 12  

This is the first reference I can remember to Nightcrawler being furry. It's from X-Men 109, in 1978.

••

So much wrong with that panel! Of course, Roger wasn't editor yet! When he came aboard, he saw it as one of his chief functions to make sure the characters spoke and acted in character.

Poor Kurt! He had to deal with living in a circus where his physical differences went mostly unnoticed! All Scott had to deal with was the risk of killing anybody he looked at!

{Rog also started clipping the "elf" references -- when you look at Nightcrawler, pretty much the last thing you think of is an elf!)

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version