Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Organic Web Shooters (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2009 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 1  

This just in to ComiczScoop.mag..."John Byrne hates horses; advocates violence against them..."

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Hatton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2009 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 2  

But it is cool that Tarantulas can "shoot" webs from their feet.
Back to Top profile | search

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2009 at 5:11pm | IP Logged | 3  

I get the chills when Tobey gets the urge to squirt the other character's mouths or worse yet their faces.  Ewwww.

The saying goes... when you gotta do it, then you gotta do it... or something like that.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2009 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 4  

Thought it would have been a cool scene for the Spider-Man movie, much like in the Iron Man movie,  to show Peter Parker building his ultra-thin, re-loading web shooters.  It could have been so cool to have Peter say after he was finished, "Now I can swing!"
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rob Drew
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2009 at 10:06pm | IP Logged | 5  

Personally, I've always thought the organic webshooters were an idea that made perfect sense, and wondered why Stan and Steve didn't think of it. There's no reason for Peter Parker to be a scientific genius other than the fact that every early Marvel hero was, and this was a hold over from the Atlas monster stories. Peter Parker is special because he was bitten by a radioactive spider, Tony Stark is special because he's smart enough to build a suit of super armour. If everybody is a scientific genius, then there's nothing special about it, and just because it was part of a character's early history doesn't mean it shouldn't be changed. Nobody seems to have a real problem with Batman hating guns now, even though early on he was established as using one. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2009 at 10:30pm | IP Logged | 6  

Peter Parker is special because he was bitten by a radioactive spider,

----

This misses the point of the character horribly. It's a combination of
Peter's scientific knowledge, his personal sense of responsibility, and
his social status that allows him to become Spider-Man. If it were just
about the spider bite, someone like Flash Thompson could be Spider-
Man.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2009 at 10:39pm | IP Logged | 7  

It's a combination of Peter's scientific knowledge, his personal sense of responsibility, and his social status that allows him to become Spider-Man. If it were just about the spider bite, someone like Flash Thompson could be Spider-
Man.

I believe there was an issue of What If? that covers points you said above quite well. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 August 2009 at 11:08pm | IP Logged | 8  

Personally, I've always thought the organic webshooters were an idea that made perfect sense, and wondered why Stan and Steve didn't think of it.

••

Simon and Kirby probably thought of biological webspinners. Lee and Ditko also. And they rejected them based on the inherent absurdity of Parker shooting webs out of his body. Kirby went for a "web gun", Ditko for the sleeker, more easily concealed web-spinners. Why? Even without the unfortunate anatomical location of a spider's web spinner, there is the problem that…

• Spider's do not "shoot" webs, they play them out slowly over a long period of time

• There is no practical place in his body Parker could store the fluid ("What's up with puny Parker? He looks like he's pregnant!")

• Exhausting the supply would not be a case of simply clicking in a new cartridge -- it would most likely be a case of death

• Generating the massive quantities of webbing he would need would be a terrible strain on Parker's system

Even without those elements, the radioactive spider venom adapted Parker's DNA without making any gross (in the sense of large or complex) changes. The adaptation worked with what was available, so he got the speed, the "strength" and the wall-climbing ability. He did not grow extra limbs, extra eyes, or massive amounts of long, stiff body hair. Or a web-spinner.

Rob Drew
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2009 at 11:57pm | IP Logged | 9  

Okay, I hesitate to get into this it with you JB, out of respect for the fact that this is your place, and because I've been a big fan of your work for so many years, but I must disagree. You have on many occasions made statements to the effect of "if you bring in reality, it's time to move on." So how can you get so caught up in the intricacies of web production, and it's physical implications, yet ignore nonsense like "spider sense"? Or for that matter how spider strength and speed would alter Parkers  physical appearance, and musculature? I understand having a personal preference on this matter based on nostalgia, but to try and argue it rationally makes little sense in my opinion. Adaptation to other media has often resulted in changes to characters (especially Superman) and sometimes it's for the better. Of all the objectional things done in the Spider-man movies, this is one change I like.

Taavi Suhonen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 2:15am | IP Logged | 10  

I recall seeing an interview in which Stan Lee was asked about organic web-spinners and he said he had thought of it, but rejected it because it was icky.

My main objection to organic spinners is simply that it takes away a sign of Peter's intellect - the first movie keeps saying "oh, he's a genius" but never shows him doing anything with his supposed brain power.

It also bugs me when some defenders of organic webbing claim it stops writers from resorting to "he runs out of webbing in the middle of a fight" plots (not sure what is supposed to be wrong with him running out of webbing occasionally anyway, but I've seen this argued fairly often). It should make him running out of webbing more common as he has no way to easily replenish the supply.

Edited by Taavi Suhonen on 06 August 2009 at 2:16am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 6:11am | IP Logged | 11  

You have on many occasions made statements to the effect of "if you bring in reality, it's time to move on." So how can you get so caught up in the intricacies of web production, and it's physical implications, yet ignore nonsense like "spider sense"? Or for that matter how spider strength and speed would alter Parkers physical appearance, and musculature?

••

This has nothing to do with "reality". Getting the abilities of a spider as a result of being bitten by one -- radioactive or genetically engineered* -- is about as far from "reality" as one can get.

This is about internal logic. Literally, in this case! Strength and speed and even the "spider sense" (as noted elsewhere -- far from "ignored") can be arrived at by adapting what's already there. Tell me his muscles became more dense, and I have no problem. Tell me his senses where greatly heightened, and I am there.

But tell me the spider bite rebuilt him, making sweeping anatomical changes that have nothing to do with a spider's anatomy and I will say no. As did Lee and Ditko. As did Simon and Kirby.

And, as I often say, the guys who created the character probably got it right.

* A change the movie made that actually worked.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 6:13am | IP Logged | 12  

It also bugs me when some defenders of organic webbing claim it stops writers from resorting to "he runs out of webbing in the middle of a fight" plots (not sure what is supposed to be wrong with him running out of webbing occasionally anyway, but I've seen this argued fairly often). It should make him running out of webbing more common as he has no way to easily replenish the supply.

••

In the movies he is obviously channeling fluid from the Web Dimension.

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version