Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN / HIDDEN YEARS question for anyone (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 1  

HIDDEN YEARS was created to fill the space between X-MEN #66 and #94 and I know JB had intended for HIDDEN YEARS to be an open ended title.  I'd like to know how many real months actually passed X-MEN #66 and #94?  Was the title stopped for a while before the reprints started appearing?
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 2  

According to comicbookdb.com:

X-Men #66 cover dated March 1970

X-Men #94 cover dated August 1975

The reprint issues were bimonthly starting with December 1970 so there was a bit of a gap before they began the reprinting.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 3  

The last issue before cancellation, 66, has a March, 1970 cover date. The
first regular issue of the returned book, 94, is cover dated August 1975.

So, 64 months between.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 4  

Joe looked online while I was flipping thru bound volumes! Grrrr!!!

Mike Farley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 5  

Why did Marvel continue the book for 5 years as a reprint book instead of canceling it outright? 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 6  

Reprints were as close as you could get, in those pre-DSM days, to free money. There were no royalties, so the Company only had to pay printing and other production costs, not writers, artists, etc. The biggest additional cash outlay would be, if they were so inclined, a new cover. On X-MEN, Marvel was rarely so inclined.

Mike Farley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 7  

It's kind of odd to think of that era of comics and how many reprints WERE on the stands selling alongside the regular new books.  Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four, and The Avengers all had reprint titles, and of course, X-Men. I don't remember a ton of DC reprint titles in normal size, but I gobbled up their digest sized books.

I would guess that Classic X-Men, starting in the mid-80's, was probably the last successful reprint title.

Chris Geary
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 8  

I always thought that was weird, why would anyone buy a book they already had?  But later realised that I was thinking as a reader/keeper* and not as a reader from those days.  Chances are that the readers of the original issues would have stopped readring comics by then, so therefore it was potentially always only going to be picked up by someone who hadn't read it when first issued.

I wonder if the industry does keep swallowing it's own tail there will be a point where companies only issue reprints, no longer finding it finacially viable to produce new stories.

*Never really considered myself an actual collecter as I am a natural horder and never throw anything away.  Especially something I enjoy.

Edited by Chris Geary on 16 July 2009 at 1:01pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 9  

It's kind of odd to think of that era of comics and how many reprints WERE on the stands selling alongside the regular new books. Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four, and The Avengers all had reprint titles, and of course, X-Men. I don't remember a ton of DC reprint titles in normal size, but I gobbled up their digest sized books.

••

When Chris and I were doing UNCANNY, we received several requests from fans who wanted us to "do a MARVEL TALES style book" but with the X-Men. They didn't realize, it seemed, that MARVEL TALES was a reprint title.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 10  

I always thought that was weird, why would anyone buy a book they already had? But later realised that I was thinking as a reader/keeper* and not as a reader from those days. Chances are that the readers of the original issues would have stopped readring comics by then, so therefore it was potentially always only going to be picked up by someone who hadn't read it when first issued.

••

When I returned to reading in the early 70s, books like MARVEL TALES and MARVEL'S GREATEST COMICS helped me back-fill my reading, until I found the original comics.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 11  

Classic X-Men and Marvel Tales were my introduction to the X-Men characters and Spider-Man comics.  I didn't know at the time I was reading stories that were almost ten years old.

Edited by Joe Hollon on 16 July 2009 at 1:07pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 12  

I didn't know at the time I was reading stories that were almost ten years old.

••

No reason you would, really. The industry was seriously lacking in flavor of the month writers and artists eagerly "making a mark" on whatever characters or titles they are assigned to. When we were asked to draw Spider-Man back then, we tried to make him look like Spider-Man, not like we were the ones who had invented Spider-Man.

One of the scarier points noted at the time was that the reprint books often sold as well as the new stuff. Sometimes better! There was some very real concern that Marvel might turn into Archie, with much of its product being reprints that were indistinguishable from the current product. (Looking at the state of the industry today, I wonder if that would have been such a bad thing after all!)

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version