Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 26 Next >>
Topic: Why "your old stuff was better..." (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Chronology

Posted: 10 July 2009 at 7:50pm | IP Logged | 1  

Wow.  Joe Zhang, everyone. He's here all week.

Edited by Trevor Giberson on 10 July 2009 at 7:54pm
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2009 at 7:53pm | IP Logged | 2  

"Here's here all week."

Here is here all week? What does that mean?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2009 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 3  

JB continues to get better and as the years go by; however, his NEXT MEN
work is my favorite. There's something special about it that I haven't seen in
any of his other always incredible work.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2009 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 4  

Concerning Frank Baum, I recently finished reading the first 6 Oz books to my daughters.  He really kept trying to end the story.  The only later book I've read so far is Scarecrow of Oz, which I found to be very different from the first 6.  Of course, the second book is a different formula than the first, but he was innundated with requests for more Dorothy...

Artistically, there's the example of someone like Keith Giffen, who has gone through many artistic styles, some more liked than others.

Erik Larsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2009 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 5  

Keith Giffen is the Madonna of comic books. Keep moving. Keep changing.
Keep 'em guessing. The big problem being that if you find a Keith Giffen you
like--it may not be around long and you might not be as take with his next
style.

Robbie Patterson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2009 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 6  

JRJR would be the ultimate exception to this rule for me. How he feels about his early stuff is basically how I feel about his work too.

(Altho considering I think he's currently the best artist in the industry today, his old stuff kinda COULDN'T be better!)

Jeff Gillmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2009 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 7  

Could it be because an artist finds it to be more work than fun, where it should be both.  I believe JB has talked about "challenging himself" when it comes to his art.  In this way he's trying new things to present the story.  It can be the duo-tone, or panel layout, or any number of different things.

Something else to consider is the changing of the comic book script.  In the "old days" there was a lot more actual story in one book than you can find now.  A lot of information had to be conveyed in a little amount of space.  Today the first few pages of Fantastic Four #1 would take at least 3 issues, all filled with HUGE panels of talking heads.

William Lukash
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2009 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 8  

The same story can be told for rock bands, too.  "We don't know what we are doing, so F it, let play more aggresively and turn that bitch up to 11."  Later, when the master their instruments, they don't play with the emotion (attitude) they did when they were starting out.  They want people to hear the music and therefore people don't feel the music as much because it isn't as raw.

I think Kirby is an exception.  I think his work became more raw and more creative as he progressed.  His golden age stuff is okay, certainly better than some of the other artists at the time, and his early silver age stuff is very fun, but when he perfected his style, WHAM, there was energy unlike any other creator.

Edited to add: I prefer work done later in a creators career.  Then you can really see some fine art.  I do like the earlier work of rock bands, tho.

Edited by William Lukash on 10 July 2009 at 8:33pm

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2009 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 9  

When you were a kid, did you correct other kids' slang or criticize their lack of thought or insight?

Yeah, but I was kind of a prick when I was a kid.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2009 at 8:38pm | IP Logged | 10  

The same story can be told for rock bands, too.

Had that thought, as well. There's the idea that rock artist(s) have their whole life (to that point) to write their first album...and only a few years (or months) to put together subsequent ones...

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 10 July 2009 at 8:39pm

Rob Drew
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2009 at 9:21pm | IP Logged | 11  

I think that early on in an artists career they are closer in mentality to a fan, in that the important thing in their art is the cool factor. They are looking for attention, and throwing everything they have against the wall hoping it will stick.
As they mature and become craftsmen their concern shifts to getting things right.
All along they add things to the invisible side of their arsenal, (storytelling, backgrounds, perspective, etc.) things that are not noticed by the casual observer unless done exceedingly poorly, while at the same time paring down some of the extraneous detail used to overcome artistic deficiencies. Often this refined work is looked upon by fans as lazy hackwork, or having lost something, which leads to the inevitable "your old stuff was better" comment. A damn shame really.
 Myself, I enjoy following an artist's journey and observing their growth and maturation.

Jason Carpenter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2009 at 10:18pm | IP Logged | 12  

I can only think of a handful of artists that get better as time has gone by, and most of them had a lull in their career. George Perez, Kirby, Byrne, Larsen, Jim Lee, Joe Mad, Campbell, Romita jr. & Quitely. I think why some fans think some of the old workhorses have gotten worse etc. is because those workhorses have been so consistent in turning out high quality work that when they do falter a bit here & there fanboys just eat that up & sqwack about it. It's like Anthony Hopkins. He's simply the best actor in Hollywood & when he turns in the odd role like Mission Impossible II, he's still great but it lacks his usual panache and punch. People have gotten used to th excellence that it has become common place. Only one artist has ever been perfect though... John Buscema.

<< Prev Page of 26 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version