Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 117 Next >>
Topic: Growing Roses and Meeting Deadlines (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2009 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 1  

John - could not agree with you more.

A question you might know the answer to - another part of the issue is that publishers announce projects very early.  It's fine to say "Artist XYZ is working on a Batman-Wolverine crossover."  It's another to say "it's a three issue monthly series that will start in September 2009," and then the first issue comes out in September, the second in January, and the third in May.

Why do you think publishers and editors announce books without doing some "padding"?  Why are they not comfortable getting several issues "in the can" before announcing a publication date?

Back to Top profile | search

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2009 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 2  

It also seems fans today are embarrassed by fill-ins as they are by cover balloons and sound effects lettering.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2009 at 4:21pm | IP Logged | 3  

That's not to say that real life can't get in the way of even the speediest of
artist. Fantastic Four, for example, has been shipping late of late, because of
illness and bereavement from both the writer and the penciller. That's
something an editor can't really plan for, and I'd hope nobody would
complain about this sort of situation.
---
The editor can (and should) plan for that sort of situation!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2009 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 4  

"Fantastic Four, for example, has been shipping late of late, because of illness and bereavement from both the writer and the penciller. That's something an editor can't really plan for, and I'd hope nobody would complain about this sort of situation."

I hope I don't come off as an insensitive asshole for this, but an editor can (and should) plan for this, and consumers have every right to complain if this sort of situation leads to a comic being late. Why it happens doesn't even really enter into it.

First of all, there should be enough lead time to cover regular illness (which will be a few days to maybe 2 weeks, unless it's an injury that makes it impossible to work).  Anything beyond a few weeks, an editor should replace that person until he or she is ready to resume work.

And  bereavement can be very hard to deal with, but unless you have such a severe depressive reaction that you qualify for a medical leave, you should be back to work in a week or two at the most. Some people are back to work the next day and only take as much time off as are needed for the funeral and arranging the funeral.

In the real world, if illness or a bereavement takes you away from the job, your employer finds someone who can take over for you. And in most cases, a week or so is all that anybody needs. Not to recover fully, but to recover enough to get back to work.

Michael Huber
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2009 at 4:38pm | IP Logged | 5  

Quote:
That said, artists who cannot produce 22 pages per month, can
still be utilised in the comic industry. If, as an editor, you know your
artist is slower than the required schedule, you should factor that in to
the equation and find a second artist to alternate story arcs. Plan in
advance and it's not a problem - or at least it shouldn't be.
 Well, gee, here's another option, 12 or so pages, and a back up feature spotted in here and there, again by an up and comer, and old favorite, or maybe someone who always wanted to do something a little different and either they OR the company didn't think it would carry a book on it's own. If you can't do 12-14 pages in 22 working days...

Mike Farley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2009 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 6  

They should just get Mark Bagley to draw everything. After TRINITY I'm convinced he could handle it.

Simon Bowland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2009 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 7  

Knut, I'd never use the term "arsehole" but what you've said is incredibly insensitive. In my opinion, at least. The specifics of what befell Millar and Hitch are fairly public knowledge - basically, one was in hospital for a period of time, and the other lost a parent as a result of a long illness. You simply cannot put a timescale on dealing with matters like this - some people bounce back quickly, others don't. I'm sure neither of them wanted to be away from their work, since as freelancers no work = no income, but in those situations getting a comic book out on time is way down the priority list, and quite rightly so. I'd defend someone until my death breath for putting their family before their work.

Michael, I think DC are doing just that with their upcoming Metal Men/Doom Patrol book. If I remember the solicitation correctly, the book will feature 2x11pp strips, which allows us to see some Kevin Maguire goodness on a (hopefully) regular basis.

Wallace, care to enlighten us as to how an editor can predict the future and plan accordingly? If you're talking about having a fill-in issue or two "in the drawer", that would potentially make the book returnable by Diamond since it would not be the product which was originally solicited.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peyton Holden
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2009 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 8  

As long as the fanboys put up with it, it will never stop.

This is why I buy 99% of my comics at flea markets, garage sales and estate sales.  The only new comics I buy are from "Guess Who..."

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Erik Larsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2009 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 9  

Sigh.

You put an awful lot of stock into a tossed off comment made by a guy
trying to excuse a few of his pals who were struggling to launch a new
universe with no game plan. Todd himself was actually the monthly guy
of the group. His book came out like clockwork. Was Todd calling his own
work crap? No--nor was he calling out Jack Kirby (which is just about as
ridiculous a spin as one could make). If anything he was comparing
Image's efforts with what Marvel was producing at that point. Beyond
that, it was just a smart ass comment. You've gone out of your way to
spin it as a deliberate slam at every professional who ever lived--but
that's all it is--spin.

Reality check: not every word out of everybody's mouth stands up to
scrutiny. Sometimes people say stuff without thinking through all of the
possible ramifications and interpretations and misinterpretations. The
idea that Todd's wisecrack was the philosophy of a generation is
ludicrous.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2009 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 10  

Are you kidding? Which early Image comic came out on time?

Peyton Holden
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2009 at 5:15pm | IP Logged | 11  

Erik,

The 90's were 99% crap. This is not all McFarlane's fault, but he did contribute because his writing skills took a back seat to his ego.  You were the only one who put out quality product in those early years (and still do).

The blame lies with The Toddster, Bill Jemas, The Death of Superman, Bane, the speculators, Gareb Shamus, ad infinitum.

Image is a good publisher today.  15 years ago, it was not.

Edited by W. Peyton Holden on 04 June 2009 at 5:16pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Simon Bowland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2009 at 5:20pm | IP Logged | 12  

Erik, sorry, that's complete nonsense. Todd's book "came out like clockwork"? Is that why two issues shipped completely out of sequence in its early days? You guys at Image made yourselves look a bit stupid, blowing your own collective trumpets, and many of you chose to slate the very publisher who'd given you all your break in the industry. The fact is, at the time none of you could organise a piss-up in a brewery, and despite evidence to the contrary you all seemed to be under the delusion that being a talented artist instantly made you talented writers. It didn't.

It's funny how many of the founding Image members ended up going back to Marvel and DC when the Image sales fell through the floor.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 117 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version