Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: Q: JB and She-Hulk (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2009 at 4:43pm | IP Logged | 1  

Chyna would have been perfect a few years ago. Haven't seen her on camera in awhile so I'm not sure if she's still a good fit for the part.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2009 at 4:56pm | IP Logged | 2  

She-Hulk could be done using a combination of make-up and CGI, because I don't think a full CGI She-Hulk would work; use the actress's actual head on a CGI body. I can't think of anyone who could make a proper She-Hulk without doing something to make them look bigger. (Height isn't the problem, though you would need someone fairly tall to begin with; its her muscles that are the problem)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jay Famous
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2009 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 3  

Popular things have been done with the character, but she's at her core a big fat symbol of JB's "coattailing" beef and to a lesser extent, a "de-uniquer" as well. I liked JB's use of obscure Marvel arcana in her series though. I always smile when I see US1.

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2009 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 4  

I am going to get a woman who is a tall bodybuilder, paint her green and see if I can have some illegitiment children too.

Been there, done that.  I do NOT recommend it.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 21 April 2009 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 5  

Chyna would have been perfect a few years ago.

Ugh, really?  She was like a trucker in drag, with a voice like squeek toy.  I don't care how green she was painted, she would have been a terrible She-Hulk.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jeremy Shaffer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2009 at 5:27pm | IP Logged | 6  

okay okay, maybe the actress could wear a rubber-like body suit with muscles like the Thing in F4 or Mr. Hyde in League of Extraordinary Gentleman. That would work. A girl doesn't have to have muscles that are too big, besides they're powered  by ~Gamma-Rays~!  

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 April 2009 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 7  

Casting She-Hulk today would not be as tough as it would have been 20
years ago. Remember, Elijah Woods is not really 3 feet tall.

Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2009 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 8  

JB said: " Casting She-Hulk today would not be as tough as it would have been 20 years ago. Remember, Elijah Woods is not really 3 feet tall.

That's one of the main things I liked about the Lord of the Rings films. The strategically placed camera shots & sets.

It could be done with the She-Hulk character.

-----

Matt Reed said: "No, he decidedly does not.  He doesn't confess to anything.  He says what Banner knows may or may not be true.  He doesn't ever say "Hey, I screwed with you!  That never happened!!"  It's intentionally left open.  Again, shitty story."

I'll quote again & help you with a bold hint...

"All you know is governed by your memories, Hulk. And some of them are real...and some of them, well...are such stuff as dreams are made of. I brought you here to torment you as one of several paybacks for inconveniences you've cost me. And to tell you whatever you think you know...may or may not be real."

Sure it was intentionally left open...nothing wrong with that. I think PAD knew this second ride was temporary, so didn't do anything that would be considered "permanent."

Jeremy Shaffer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2009 at 8:15pm | IP Logged | 9  

In that case, all we have to do is cast the perfect Jennifer Walters. Who would we put in there to play a female lawyer. She's got to have verve, but not too much, because she has to really go extrovert when she becomes the She-Hulk, for dramatic effect.

Don't forget, Christopher Reeves just had to play Clark Kent to make it work perfectly. Brandon Routh had to play Christopher Reeve to make it perfect, and buddy he nailed the part.  

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2009 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 10  

"All you know is governed by your memories, Hulk. And some of them are real...and some of them, well...are such stuff as dreams are made of. I brought you here to torment you as one of several paybacks for inconveniences you've cost me. And to tell you whatever you think you know...may or may not be real."

Sure it was intentionally left open...nothing wrong with that. I think PAD knew this second ride was temporary, so didn't do anything that would be considered "permanent."

SER: If there's a story where, say, Brainiac fiddles with Superman's memories and makes him think that he lusted after Ma Kent, I wouldn't be happy if the story just left it' "open" (Maybe it happened == maybe it didn't).

I think the greatest crime done to Bruce Banner in the past 20 years was to depict him as a drooling lunatic at worst and someone in serious need of therapy at best. Much like what Morrison did to The Chief in DOOM PATROL, this did not add anything. Both characters were depicted by their creators as undeniably heroic, honorable men.

That should be a rule of comics, I think. If a character was introduced as good (Jean Loring and Jason Todd and Superboy Prime), don't make them "evil" as a twist.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 21 April 2009 at 9:40pm | IP Logged | 11  

Paul, you keep quoting the same line.  The first part doesn't matter.  What matters is how the author chose to sum it all up: "And to tell you whatever you think you know...may or may not be real."

By the way, no need to get snooty.  I don't need a "hint".  I can read perfectly fine.  What you don't seem to understand is context.  PAD through Nightmare left Banner's experience in the story as intentionally ambiguous.  And seriously, no author in serial fiction can ever consider a story they write as nothing permanent.  He put it out there.  He left it open.  Any other author could come along and make it real because the author didn't close the door.  Any other author might have written a story like that but made sure people knew it wasn't real, that Nightmare was, in fact, screwing with him.  Instead, in tried and true PAD fashion, we're left with yet another crap psychobabble story. 

Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2009 at 1:23am | IP Logged | 12  

Snooty? Please don't try to read INTO posts...especially mine. My intention is not to be snooty at all. I honestly thought that you were only reading what you wanted to read & if I'm wrong about that, then I apologize.

I get that you don't like PAD's work & that's cool...each to one's own & all that.

I'm just disagreeing with your original point of contention, which was that you implied that PAD had "Banner speaking to the Hulk in his mind during high school years before the Gamma Bomb accident". In the context of the story, as it eventually turned out, this was all part of Nightmare's "torment".

That's my take, at any rate.

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version