Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Sal Buscema interview (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2009 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 1  

I thought a lot of folks here might be interested in listening to this Sal Buscema podcast over on the  "Spider-Man Crawl Space" site. 

It's a celebration of Sal's 40th anniversary in the comic book industry. During the interview, a number of special guests call in, including Tom DeFalco, Ron Frenz, Danny Fingeroth and even Stan Lee himself! I haven't finished listening to the entire interview, but it's worth a listen. It's remarkable how humble Sal Buscema is, given his incredible body of work.

You old-school Marvel fans will enjoy listening to one of the all-time greats discuss his career.

Edited by Bruce Buchanan on 30 January 2009 at 3:05pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2009 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 2  

Wait....he didn't become a pro until '69?? I though he was around for much longer than that!
Back to Top profile | search

Mike Purdy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2009 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 3  

Really cool.  DeFalco doesn't sound anything like I "heard" in my head!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bruce Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2009 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 4  

Vinny, I believe Sal said he started in 1968. But they didn't get the interview scheduled until early 2009 - close enough!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 January 2009 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 5  

Funny -- I still think of Sal as one of the Old Guard, but this July will mark
the 35th Anniversary of my first professional sale, so he's not that far ahead
of me!

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2009 at 6:18pm | IP Logged | 6  

Love his work, thanks for sharing.

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2009 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 7  

I'd love to read a biography of Sal's life.  The man appears to be the epitome of "working man".  He just did his job without much complaint (if any), no matter how overshadowed he seems to have become by such figures as Jack Kirby, Dick Giordano and his older brother John.  he was a workhorse, but he was a damned good workhorse at that.

If people had the work ethic that the Buscema brothers shared and JB and the younger John Romita still demonstrate, maybe we'd be seeing a lot more (and perhaps better) efforts from some of the "hot" young artists of the past two decades...

Jeremiah Avery
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2009 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 8  

A wonderful artist and a real class act.  The first sketch I ever got from a pro was Sal Buscema at a local con here to benefit the Hero Initiative (back when it was still called A.C.T.O.R.).  May he have many more years of wonderful health and success!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2009 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 9  

Sal is The Man!

I've been ordering a ton of old back issues of late from around 1976-81... a lot of stuff I used to own and haven't seen in eons... and Sal Buscema is ALL OVER these old Marvel issues.  The guy's fantastic... MARVEL TEAM-UP, CAPTAIN AMERICA, FANTASTIC FOUR, INCREDIBLE HULK, SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN, etc.  Much like Jack Kirby and Sal's big brother John, the man simply IS Marvel Comics to me.

I just have to laugh that this guy apparently drew every other comic I ever owned in my youth!

Sebastien Roy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2009 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 10  

I'm a friend of Brad Douglas, the webmaster of that website, and a HUGE Sal Buscema fan and I've posted a transcript of the first hour of the show on my website here:

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/Entertaining/buscemapodcast.html

(shameless plug...I know!)

I'm currently working on the 2nd and 3rd parts of the show, which will be posted later. 

I was fortunate enough to be able to talk to Sal during that podcast and he's as nice as everyone says.  An absolute gentleman!  He has seen my website, which features Spider-Man art by him in my logos, headers, etc., and, to me, the fact that he checked it out is just the most phenomenal thing ever.

If you'd rather read what they sais as opposed to listen to it, visit the above link...enjoy.

Sebastien

Back to Top profile | search | www

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2009 at 6:03am | IP Logged | 11  

Listened to the interview last night... good, interesting stuff.  The ironic "I hate you; you were never any good; you always missed your deadlines" schtick got extremely tiresome after awhile, but most of these guys (Buscema, Lee, Thomas, Frenz, DeFalco, Fingeroth) seemed to have a general affection for each other. 

For someone like myself who almost never attended comic book conventions growing up (at least with noted guests-of-honor), it's great to be able to actually hear these guys and their stories.

(And I can't be the only guy who thinks Roy Thomas sounds like John Denver, can I?)

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2009 at 4:22pm | IP Logged | 12  

Heh. Stan said "goddamn".

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version