Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 922 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: March 26 2014 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Since the first time I saw it in the theaters, I've found this to be the only truly bad, downright insipid Kubrick film, almost from the first line of dialogue... I love all of his other films, but I couldn't quite put my finger on why I loathe this one so much. I've long felt that the whole was just dramatically INERT, but now I can see & hear just how BAD the performances & dialogue are in this film.

+++

It's one of those films which should have been made in the 70s back when the subject matter was still edgy and shocking. There would have at least been a sense of danger to it which would remain even after society overtook it.

Instead it's like Madonna's Sex book, arty and safe.

••

When EYES WIDE SHUT was first released, Howard Mackie commented that the original story was written in the 1920s, when the subject matter was indeed "shocking" and "edgy." Transplanted to almost a century later, and there's not much there that couldn't be found on basic cable.

Back to Top profile | search

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 26 2014 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

@Shaun:

An interesting assessment of the 'perfect' Dracula. Maybe worthy of a thread on "Frankensteining" movies. Maybe not.

William Griffin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 26 2014 at 2:58pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Eyes Wide Shut is my favourite Kubrick after 2001. I don't find it shocking but it is utterly mesmerising and off-kilter, beautifully shot, completely involving and compelling.  I just get completely caught up in it.  It's got a weird, mysterious quality about it that I really like.  I think it's extremely underrated.

William Griffin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 26 2014 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Meanwhile I saw...

LA BELLE ET LA BĘTE - At my local art house cinema.  Very much looking forward to it and and very disappointed.  I expected something visually exciting and imaginative, but there was very little of that, and far too much flat and dated staging. Disney's take on the same story is a masterpiece so this had a lot to live up to anyway, but it did nothing for me at all.

YOU WILL MEET A TALL DARK STRANGER - One of Woody's most underrated films (I'm not one of those people who thinks he's lost it; his hit to miss ratio these days is about the same as it's always been). It's a bit flatly directed but it's funny and dramatic and compelling and ironic in all the right places.

OBLIVION - love the crap out of this. Loved Tron: Legacy too, so Joseph Kosinski is two for two. The visuals are like old 70s SF paperbacks and the whole thing has the feel of a movie from that era; a lot of reviews complained about how derivative it is, but I found the plot surprising first time round, maybe because I was so caught up in the love story I didn't spot it.  Second time round the plot is obviously more familiar but I was just as engrossed in the characters.  The visuals are stunning, as well. And the score! Very underrated.

Edited by William Griffin on March 26 2014 at 3:09pm

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 26 2014 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I enjoyed Eyes Wide Shut, a small film about a man's frustration as he travels the maze of his own desires.

As JB points out, there's not much "shocking" content that wasn't already on pay TV. Would the director of "A Clockwork Orange", "The Shining" and "Full Metal Jacket" really expect "Eyes Wide Shut" to be shocking? He had already been far more shocking.

For better or worse, Kubrick's long attraction to the material had more to do with the "dream story" (original title) themes-- how a man's imagination of the world around him can trap him without him being any more paranoid than the average guy.

The promotion of the film seemed to backfire. Ads leaned hard on the promise of "sexy stuff"! The film flirts, but never delivers on that score-- matching the theme of the film and bringing out a decent-sized audience for what was fundamentally an art-house piece. But the film turned out a lot less sexy than promised and I think that broken-promise made it hard for some who otherwise might have enjoyed it.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: March 26 2014 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

EYES WIDE SHUT gave me the strange feeling I was watching a toned down version of THE STORY OF O, a film made almost 25 years earlier.

William Griffin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 27 2014 at 12:47am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Forgot to mention - I find it a genuinely erotic film. There are very few of those, as they're usually along the lines of cooorrrrrrr, tits! But Eyes Wide Shut builds this erotic journey and this process of psychological revelation for Cruise's character that's dark and sexy and strange. When the nudity does come along it's largely in scenes that are hypnotic and bizarre (thinking particularly of the masked orgy here). Maybe it's the result of taking a theme that's primal and private and seeing it from the point of view of a director as controlled as Kubrick. I find it fascinating.

William Griffin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 27 2014 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

PACIFIC HEIGHTS - Been a while since I saw this one but it holds up pretty well. Michael Keaton is in full-on Keaton mode, which is always great.  The momentum does slacken in the second half but it's still a decent thriller with some genuinely creepy moments.

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 28 2014 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Pacific Rim (2013) - Possibly the most depressing thing
I've seen in some time and I watched Dark Shadows
yesterday.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 28 2014 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Ip Man 2. Starts off well and then veers into sub-Rocky IV territory. Almost laughably propagandist by the end.

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 29 2014 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

THE FABULOUS BAKER BOYS - it's practically become a tradition by this point. Get nostalgic for the opening title music, flick through my favourite scenes, ...then end up watching the entire movie several times over.

Still probably the most (damningly) accurate depiction of the reality of my chosen profession - basically, drop the specifics of that film into the setting of 'Shaun of the Dead', and you've got a good idea of what my day-to-day worldview looks like (yee-ikes...).

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: March 29 2014 at 9:16pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

SAVING MR. BANKS

On the most superficial level, I enjoyed it.  Even with knowing virtually nothing about the story, it was fairly predictable in the sense that it travels from Point A to Point Z with all of the requisite points in between.  But it traveled that path with enough verve to be entertaining.  If nothing else, my interest never waned -- that's rare for me while watching movies these days.

I quite enjoyed Emma Thompson's work.  I usually do, although not enough to seek out her films.  Tom Hanks was basically Tom Hanks.  His attempts at sounding like Walt Disney were spotty and unsuccessful.  

As for True or Not True, I'm past the point of expecting anything close to fidelity from Hollywood.  This is especially true in a movie about Disney's assault on a writer's artistic integrity, wearing her down to turn her creation into Hollywood "flim flam".  Naturally the film sides with Disney, and Travers is portrayed as an uptight, stubborn sourpuss.  Interestingly Disney, in the film, briefly mentions how he would feel if someone did to Mickey what he was trying to do to Mary Poppins, but the film goes no further with that thought.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 922 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version