Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 399
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 4:40am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Love the full size Falcon in Empire Strikes Back. There's shots on Hoth early on in the film with Chewie atop the Falcon and it creates an incredible sense of verisimilitude (as opposed to a slightly unconvincing matte painting of the falcon used in the background in ROTJ, which I am currently watching. The matte paintings are generally excellent, but there is no doubt that the solid, real thing in ESB gives a far superior shot).
------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------

Yes, this was one of the reasons I always preferred Empire over Jedi. In ROTJ, that shot of Lando turning back to an obvious matte painting of the Falcon always seemed so cheap by comparison to the beautiful Falcon shots in Empire. (I'm actually surprised that that moment wasn't one they tried to 'fix' in the special edition.)

Edited by Jason Scott on 13 January 2018 at 4:40am
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 5:16pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

MISTER ROBERTS (1955)

Strong cast, somewhat episodic story. Powerful ending. Only real downside, despite being expanded for the screen, never quite escapes being a filmed stage play.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

UNDER SIEGE (1992)

A tad dated (perhaps), but still good fun.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yeah, it was the shot of Lando talking to Han in front of the falcon that I was alluding to. It's a shame, because the matte paintings are generally first rate in ROTJ -- the shot of Vader's shuttle approaching the  'waistband' of the Death Star, the hangar in the Death Star and the Ewok village are marvellous.

Anyway, I finished watching Return of the Jedi (1983). Has some quality moments, but also some that are hard to forgive (the Tarzan noise when Chewie swings on to the AT-ST is particularly cringeworthy). This was the 'fixed' version with the creepy-stare Hayden Christensen at the end and stupid celebration scenes on Bespin, Coruscant and Naboo shoe-horned in... Basically the worst version possible. Williams' new tune for the Ewok celebration, composed for the Special Edition, is a nice piece of music with a kind of Peruvian feel -- but it results in Lando clapping and bopping out of time, which is clumsy and I actually think there was nothing wrong with the original score for that scene.

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2018 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The added dance sequence in Jabba's palace is too horrid to watch. One more reason to avoid the sequels.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2018 at 5:49pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE EXTENDED CUT

Worth seeing if you're a huge fan of the film, like myself. Definitely some interesting tidbits.

I guess since I was paying close attention to see new things, I picked up on things that have always been there that I'd not noticed.

Like, this happens:

Lois: "How'd you like your first day on the job?"
Clark: "Frankly the hours were sort of longer than I expected, but on the whole, I mean meeting you and Jimmy and Mr. White - Gosh on the whole I'd say it's been swell."
Lois: "Swell?" (pause) "You know, Clark, there are very few people left in the world who feel comfortable saying that word."
Clark: "What word?"
Lois: "Swell."
Clark: "Really? It always sounded kind of natural."

Not long after, they get nearly mugged in an alley (Lois kicks the guy, he still fires his gun, Clark catches the bullet).

Here's what I hadn't picked up on (after 40 years and dozens of viewings):  When she recovers her purse afterward, Lois mutters, "Swell."

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2018 at 9:25pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Yeah, I agree about the quality of the matte paintings in Jedi. Pity that one was used so poorly.

I can live with the Chewie Tarzan howl, and though I prefer the original ending the special edition one is ok to me. (Even if the logic of the Coruscant scene seems even more lacking now.) Honestly the biggest issue for me with ROTJ was the idea that a bunch of teddy bears can injure storm troopers with wooden sticks and the like. I mean jeez, how useless is stormtrooper armour? Lol!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2018 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

On a plane travelling to Canada, watched KINGSMAN: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE. Every bit as over the top as the first film but was very surprised to see that Egsey and the Princess had remained in a relationship after the first film. I liked that.

Also watched WAR OF THE PLANET OF THE APES on Blu Ray. There are aspects to CGI characters that make them believable or not. Things like weight, heft, gravity and inertia. Translucent skin where light penetrates and bounces around. And eyes. These are amongst the most important. Get these wrong and you get the uncanny valley of a lot of CGI characters.
WAR OF THE PLANET OF THE APES is possibly the best CGI characters I have ever seen in a film. The work they did in that film is incredible. I recommend everyone watches this movie, but without distractions because the plot also requires attention

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2018 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I also watched The Golden Circle on my flight to Canada coming back from Christmas. Air Canada?

Found it disappointing in relation to the original and it's hard to put my finger on why, exactly, beyond it's just that classic problem of a sequel -- it has to give you more of the same, but always feels less fresh.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2018 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Peter - KLM.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 399
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version