Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 437
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2019 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

NINOTCHKA is really good. That along with GRAND HOTEL are my two favorite of her "talkies".

I watched LOVE on TCM a couple of weeks ago, her first portrayal of Anna Karenina. There's something about her, best I can describe I guess, is that she's "real".
Back to Top profile | search

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2019 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

SHOT CALLER

A truly good, but truly disturbing film about how our mass incarceration system in the United States makes criminals.  As somebody who was a corrections officer at one point, this is troublingly true to life in a lot of cases.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2019 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

STAR TREK (2009)

10 years on, and I thought I'd give it one last spin... nope, still lousy.

At best, a minor footnote in TREK lore.  At worst, it's disrespectful, obnoxious and dumb, dumb, dumb.  When first released, I thought it was passable, but I quickly realized that this 2009 reboot was simply "STAR TREK for Jocks."  I can't imagine ever changing my mind on this one.  (Though the best thing about it is still the Michael Giacchino score.)

Off to the library donation box, goes my DVD!

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2019 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

UNFRIENDED: DARK WEB

Look, UNFRIENDED was a good movie with a unique twist. UNFRIENDED: DARK WEB, however, is.....crap. Whereas some of the people in UNFRIENDED deserved what happened to them, none of the people in the sequel do, and the ending is trash.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2019 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

EIGHTH GRADE: Very close to the bone and difficult to watch at times, this is probably the most honest film I've seen in a long while. Scenes involving the sexual issues faced by our thirteen year old heroine Kayla (played by Elsie Fisher) can be almost unendurably chilling and uncomfortable. 

There are funny scenes throughout as well, such as when the high school students argue that eighth grader Kayla is of a completely different generation, asking her how old she was when SnapChat came out. 

I watched this with a friend who has been in psychologically abusive relationships and the discussion afterwards lasted nearly two hours. One thing that came up: the only film even remotely similar that we'd seen in recent memory was THE FLORIDA PROJECT. 

Worth noting: I watched BROADCAST NEWS recently and the film is unquestionably of another era, long before the 24-hour news cycle, one-sided networks, and endlessly opinionated anchors took over. The standards the film calls for us to uphold aren't even a blip on anyone's radar today. We simply don't do actual journalism anymore, for the most part. I also revisited episodes of MY SO-CALLED LIFE and the final scene of the episode with the gun wherein students entering the school are divided into two lines to pass through metal detectors absolutely pales beside the icy nonchalance of EIGHTH GRADE's active shooter drill. 

Things in this country are not getting better. But hey, we do have SnapChat now.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 May 2019 at 7:19pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

GRAND HOTEL (1932)

More Garbo, this time, despite being first in the credits, reduced to almost a secondary player in this sea of plots and subplots.

Solid performances all round, but the movie suffers from an inability to decide just what kind of movie it is. Comedy? Farce? And a sudden lurch into dark drama at the end.

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2019 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

NOSFERATU THE VAMPYRE, Werner Herzog's 1979 remake of FW
Murnau's 1922 silent film. It's beautifully shot and
Klaus Kinski is creepy as hell but it's a slog, pace-
wise.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2019 at 10:30pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Not just creepy but threatening! The first encounter between Kinski's Dracula and Ganz's Harker is amazing, the way he advances on him, and Harker stumbles back (if I'm remembering correctly... been a long time).

And this completes a puzzle piece in my mind. When Bruno Ganz died recently, I was sure there was a film I knew him from before his famous role in Downfall. Yet, when I looked thru his filmog at the time, I couldn't spot what I was thinking of. And here it is. Danke!

Edited by Peter Martin on 12 May 2019 at 10:30pm

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2019 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Eric, was the version you watched in English or German? Herzog filmed  it twice. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2019 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

English.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2019 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

SHOT CALLER

A truly good, but truly disturbing film about how our mass incarceration system in the United States makes criminals.  As somebody who was a corrections officer at one point, this is troublingly true to life in a lot of cases.

SHOT CALLER had been popping up in my Amazon Prime queue and I was curious about it. I watched it based on Steve's comment. Can't really disagree with him at all. Watching this one sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole, and I followed it up with two other dark and violent movies...

BRAWL IN CELL BLOCK 99. This movie is the bastard son of an 80s Arnold Schwarzennegger movie. Vince Vaughn - yes, Vince Vaughn! - is portrayed as a calm, cool, unstoppable, southern Frankenstein/Jason Voorhees type, seemingly impervious to pain and injury, complete with heavy, thudding footsteps when he walks.

It starts out fairly simple and you think it's going to be some "average guy goes to prison and has to survive" movie, but as the story progresses, it ventures more and more towards the ridiculous - and I mean that as a positive.

Turn off your brain for two hours and check this out.

DRAGGED ACROSS CONCRETE. Somewhat enjoyable, but a lot longer than it needed to be...or maybe it just felt long...  

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2019 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Back to the Future (made in good old 1985). It's been a sufficiently long span of time since I last watched this for this viewing to have been done with the feel of a fresh pair of eyes, for many scenes at least.

Don't think I'd noticed the clock at the beginning before with the human figure hanging from one of the hands (or if I had, I'd forgotten it). Also the little joke where they pitch the mayor in 1985 by saying 'progress is his middle name' and then the same pitch is made for the prospective mayor in 1955. Had a little chuckle at his ridiculous travel-sized guitar at the beginning, which I really had forgotten about.

Wonderful how all the pieces of the film fit together so ingeniously. The performances are really memorable and idiosyncratic. Lea Thompson and Crispin Glover are quite brilliant in how differently they portray their original aged selves in the 80s to the younger versions in the 50s and then again with different older versions in the 'new' 80s. And all very convincingly.

A shout out also for Dean Cundey's distinctive, gleaming cinematography with its rich, saturated colours.

Edited by Peter Martin on 14 May 2019 at 12:09pm

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2019 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

ELECTION (1999)

An instant favorite, from the time it was released... for me, the best film from 1999, and could also be my favorite movie of the '90s.

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2019 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

John Wick - Chapter 2

Actually, I watched John Wick via Netflix on Tuesday and then the sequel yesterday in case we (the theatre tech boys) were planning to see the third one which opens in theatres today.  I hadn't watched the first two, so I did a bit of a binge in case we decide to see part 3.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 May 2019 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS (1957)

A perennial favorite. As Iíve often noted, it looks like it was drawn by Fifties vintage Carmine Infantino.

(The grim realities: Susan Harrison, who here plays the teenage lead, died last March at the age of 80.)

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2019 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

JB: MARY POPPINS RETURNS (2018)Full disclosure: my dislike of the original
runs so deep not even my love for Julie Andrews could save it...
Can you elaborate on why you dislike Mary Poppins so much, John?

(I'm a little nervous to ask because it's happened more than once that you
have pointed out something that shifted my own opinion -- but I am really
curious what rubbed you so wrong in this one which I enjoy so much).

Edited by Mark Haslett on 17 May 2019 at 4:42pm

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 May 2019 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Too much syrup, even for a Disney movie of that vintage.

Plus, Dick van Dykeís excruciatingly bad English accent.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 May 2019 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

WEEKEND AT BERNIEíS (1989)

Dated but still spasmodically funny. Made the mistake of looking up some details on the IMDb and learned that Bernieís FABulous beach house was built for the movie and demolished after filming wrapped.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2019 at 6:49am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

HOUSE (1985)

I remember enjoying this when it was released but it had been years since I last viewed, so I was worried how it would hold up. 
Seems to slip in and out of "made for tv movie" at times, yet still got some entertainment. 
Appreciated the non CGI effects, just so refreshing. 

George Wendt did a fine job as a supporter. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 437
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version