Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 923
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2019 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

GET A JOB (2016)

A film trying to be a by-the-numbers comedy with heart that largely succeeds. It's supposed to be speaking to the recently graduated who are all walking around with trashed apartments, limited opportunities, and ninety grand in student debt. Like any film of this type, the characters find themselves in unbelievably great careers that don't go as well for them as they might have hoped. The feels generally work when called upon to do so. 

There is a plot moment that makes no sense whatsoever, and probably more than one, but wow, did that one stand out. I think it has something to do with Anna Kendrick being unable to sell film moments that the script is hoping the audience will simply gloss over. 

Her film A SIMPLE FAVOR (2018) in large part does not work because Anna Kendrick can not gloss. You immediately stop and realize, "Hey, Anna Kendrick is lying to me here..." but you find yourself blaming the script and not her. A SIMPLE FAVOR is nothing but bad script choices, stacked on top of one another, and you're left a little stunned that Anna is dancing so hard to cover them all and failing at it completely.

Here it's mainly the one, but wow, it takes you right out of the movie. The gem hidden inside this film, however, is Alison Brie as a co-worker of Miles Teller's, ostensibly our lead, who talks in slutty innuendos and outright invitations constantly. Oooh, talk dirty to me, Alison... There are even scenes with her and Anna Kendrick in the same shot. That may be all I need to fall in love with a movie.

Edited by Brian Hague on 18 July 2019 at 11:28pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 July 2019 at 2:33am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

TRAIN TO BUSAN (2016) - Excellent, unexpectedly moving zombie film.  Loved it.  For most, you'll be reading subtitles as it's a South Korean film, but that doesn't take away from the impact, both emotionally and tonally, of this film.  It delivers a gut punch in a way I wasn't expecting as I've seen my fair share of zombie moves.  Well worth your time.  
Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2019 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

50th anniversary Summer of '69 double-feature:

FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED
First time viewing, and actually somewhat impressed... not so much with the lurid gore or gratingly overlit photography, but more for the always-impressive (for the genre) British performances, and a well-written script.  Not one I ever need to own, but I would rent again, if only to watch the great Peter Cushing in all his glory!

EASY RIDER
Not a favorite, but I've long felt the pull of this one, mostly because of how directly it affected my own father (he pretty much tried to adopt this lifestyle, 2 years before I was born, and right out of the Air Force).  Also interesting that Dennis Hopper made himself such a deliberately unlikable character, and that it doesn't necessarily glorify (at least towards the end) the notions of hippies, drug use, communes, free love, etc.  The frank and bleak outlook of the climax always feels surprisingly honest to me, whenever I watch this.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 20 July 2019 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

MYSTERY TRAIN (1989)

Most redundant to call a Jim Jarmusch film "quirky".

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 20 July 2019 at 8:08pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

MORGAN (2016)

Kate Mara and Anya Taylor-Joy in an overlooked and underrated sci-fi outing. Stellar cast elevates what might otherwise have been ordinary, but isn’t.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2019 at 9:13pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Last of my Summer of 1969 anniversary viewings:

MIDNIGHT COWBOY

Certainly not for everyone, even 50 years later, and there are filmmaking choices that have dated the film, and maybe sometimes the lead performances get a little too broad...

...but really, it's the warmth & humor of the unlikely pairing of Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voight that really makes this one shine.  It's surely a downer of a movie most of the time, but I always forget how much of it is actually really very funny.

And wow, what a priceless time capsule of gritty late '60s NYC!

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2019 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

KNIFE IN THE WATER (1962)

Roman Polanski’s first film, made in Poland. Basically a story of a guy riling another, younger guy, while his wife looks on and doesn’t think much of either.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 21 July 2019 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

THE 10th VICTIM (1965)

Based on the Richard Sheckley novel THE 7th VICTIM. No, really.

Mostly exists as an excuse for Marcello Mastroianni to drift around in an ennui induced haze while Ursula Andress is, well, you know.

The “future” envisioned here has the same Rudi Gernreich vibe as so many sci-fi movies of this period.

Not as good as it was when I was 16.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2019 at 7:26am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

THE GREY (2011)

I missed this one in the theaters, but I watched it three times in two days when I first discovered it On Demand. Absolutely loved it. Since my initial viewing(s), I've revisited it several times. 

Watched it again last night and that scene near the end... 

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
when they show the wife's IV drip

...always gets me. 

Always.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 July 2019 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

THE KING’S SPEECH (2010)

Absurd casting, a largely fictitious script, but still manages to push enough of my vestigial Brit buttons to have me weeping by the end. And what more can I ask?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 July 2019 at 4:27pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

TCM is showing a 68th anniversary broadcast of 1951’s THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD. Curiously, they’re showing a “widescreen” version, achieved by “zooming” in on the image. Much the same way Hollywood invented widescreen in the first place.

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2019 at 2:18am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I have the dvd of The thing  From Another World.
I probably should rewatch it. 
I classed it at Howard Hawks, even if he is uncredited.
I like Howard Hawks a lot.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 923
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version