Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 425
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 19 September 2018 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

JURASSIC PARK: FALLEN KINGDOM (2018)

Too long, too contrived, too many trips to the well.

And one too many plot lines.

Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2018 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I watched an old Hammer film circa the early '70s titled Demons Of the Mind which was fun. Gillian Hills who was in The Owl Service tv series and Blow-Up before that was in it.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 19 September 2018 at 4:49pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2018 at 7:53pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Gosh, I've got through a lot recently. Mission Impossibles 4 (2011) and 5 (2015), which were kind of partially satisfying. 5 treads a little too much on the toes of Bond, I feel, though the Bond-esque segment at the Vienna Staatsoper is probably the finest sequence in the film. Rebecca Ferguson made quite the impression. Shame the Bond series couldn't have nabbed her first.

Also got thru Rocky III, which I don't have much new to say about, beyond I noticed how much I like Bill Butler's cinematography this time around.

Then finished watching Taxi Driver (1976) today. Last time I saw this was on a projector in a lecture hall at university 25 years ago and, for me, it stills falls short of its towering reputation. I feel the first portion of the film, illustrating De Niro's kind of low-key isolation is more effective than the extreme violence into which the film careens. Part of my problem with the film are a kind of structural bittiness -- I enjoyed the performances of Cybill Shepherd and Albert Brooks, but then they sort of are left by the wayside and then we get interesting performances from Harvey Keitel and Jodie Foster, but there is virtually no narrative thread between the two. Yes, we are seeing almost a coin flip between those two worlds, in which Travis becomes a hero when we see how close he was to be a bogeyman, but I just don't find it too dramatically satisfying.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 425
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version