Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 958
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2020 at 12:01am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

CALIFORNIA SUITE (1978)

I don't know why I'm so consistently surprised to find films that deal with adult themes in an intelligent, adult manner, but it catches me off-guard almost every time. I go into films and TV shows expecting the most banal, broad treatment of characters and situations. When the work actually deals with something substantive in a clever, above board fashion, I never see it coming.

I expected Neil Simon's CALIFORNIA SUITE to be broad and farcical and about half of the film is, although never to the extent I feared. The other half deals with couples speaking in rapid patter, each being as clever and quick-witted as the other expects them to be as the issues being discussed take them up and down the emotional spectrum. 

CALIFORNIA SUITE was not entirely successful with me, being a bit too silly in spots, casting a pall over the believability of what was happening elsewhere, but it did impress me with its honesty and the complexity of the compromises the characters agreed to at some point or another in their lives.

Edited by Brian Hague on 27 January 2020 at 3:17am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2020 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

ADVENTURES of CAPTAIN MARVEL (1941 Serial)

I enjoyed this more than the other forties Superhero serials I've watched (CAP. AMERICA, SUPERMAN, BATMAN, MASKED MARVEL...). Better overall acting, and some of the stunts were genuinely fantastic ( Captain Marvel did a crazy, standing 360 flip kick!). Billy was played a bit older, maybe late teens, tho the actor was in his mid twenties.

Marvel was played by Tom Tyler who was an olympic weightlifter, so he really threw those bad guys around (when they weren't dummies).
One scene had him lifting a thug over his head like a barbell....then he threw him.
Back to Top profile | search

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 958
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version