Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 984 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 06 June 2020 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

AD ASTRA (2019)

Beautiful visuals but... sound and Earth normal gravity in space and on the Moon.

21 minutes.

Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2020 at 9:00pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Snap! I was watching it on a plane back at Christmas (ever a captive audience if there was one), and I gave up. Did quite like the opening with the space elevator, but I just couldn't stay with it. 

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2020 at 11:29pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

With the recent passing of actor Brian Dennehy, I decided to re-watch GORKY PARK (1983) via Hulu.

I had only seen the film twice before. The first time I caught it was at the theaters when I was still in high school and the second time was in the early 90ís when I saw it on VHS with an Army buddy of mine.

I have to say that I had forgotten what a potent cast this film had, with William Hurt as Moscow homicide detective Arkady Renko and the late great Lee Marvin as American businessman Jack Osborne. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention how gorgeous Joanna Pacula was in her American screen debut, which earned her a Golden Globe nomination as Best Supporting Actress.

But it is the supporting cast that caught my eye this time around with Ian Bannen, Richard Griffiths, Michael Elphick, Alexei Sayle, and Ian McDiarmid rounding out a strong British contingent. And Dennehy is very solid in his supporting role as an NYPD detective who sneaks into Moscow to look for his missing brother.

A good film overall and it had excellent source material, as the novel by Martin Cruz Smith on which it is based won the 1981 British Dagger Award as the Best Crime Novel of the Year. Itís certainly worth a look if you havenít seen it before.

Edited by James Best on 07 June 2020 at 11:31pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 7:29am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I watched Cousin Vinny (1992) again. First watch: early 90s. Second watch: end of april this year. third watch: just a few weeks later. Good rewatch value!

Nearly everything is spot on in this movie, though watching it again, it is apparent that Joe Pesci must significantly diverge from what the screenwriters had in mind for that character -- not in the way he acts, but just in the physicality of the character, particularly the size and age.

Also, just googling things, I only now realise actor Lane Smith (who plays the prosecutor) died 15 years ago this month. Wow. Didn't even know he was dead.

Edited by Peter Martin on 08 June 2020 at 7:30am

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2020 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

ANNABELLE COMES HOME (2019)

My favorite horror movie from last year.  The usual preposterous CONJURING nonsense, but exquisitely photographed & directed, believable & likable performances, great tension, a great score, lots of fun and very scary.

The most fun I've had being scared in quite a while... seemed to nicely tap into everything that freaked me out as kid, back in the '70s & '80s.  Vastly underrated, should have been a bigger hit last summer.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 14 June 2020 at 1:53pm

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2020 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

THE TERROR of TINY TOWN (1938)

When I scrolled by this title the urge was too great not to stop!
But alas, no hint of a certain Monarch of an Eastern European country. Instead we get a western with an all dwarf cast (I believe there were some children mixed in with attached facial hair), riding ponies and walking under saloon swinging doors without ducking.
Actually I stayed on it for a good 40 minutes or so before falling asleep.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2020 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)

I somehow completely missed this one as a kid, during the post-STAR WARS sci-fi boom... don't recall any trailers or TV spots, no memory of seeing any newspaper ads, nor posters at my local theaters.  I'm wondering if it totally bypassed my neck of the woods, 'cause I'm sure I would have hounded my father or mother to take me to see it!

Finally caught it on a streaming service after all these years... and found it mostly unwatchable.  It looks great, for a Roger Corman production, and it's loaded with familiar faces, but man, what a chore to sit through.  The special effects (apparently by a young James Cameron) are impressive, but the make-up and costumes are pretty bogus; and the story is basically "MAGNIFICENT SEVEN in Space," by way of Saturday morning TV.

(However, if I'd caught it at 8-years old, I'm sure I'd be loaded with nostalgia for it.)

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2020 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Shaun - it wasn't 'basically' 'Magnificent Seven in space'
it WAS 'magnificent seven in space'. As an 11 year old I
knew that.

This film holds a few special places in my heart I'm
afraid.
It was the first place I heard James Horner's music that
would be self plagiarised in so many later films and there
was the small matter of Sybil Danning, which for an 11
year old, well, what can one say?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 June 2020 at 6:51am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS had some good special effects, and even some creepy moments. The actors were reliable Hollywood workhorses.

Unfortunately, it was a classic case of the whole being LESS than the sum of the parts.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2020 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I have to chuckle that Sybil Danning won a 1980 Saturn Award for something vaguely called, "Outstanding Achievement."

For what exactly, pray tell...??

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 June 2020 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Uhm, youíve SEEN Sybil Danning, yes?

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2020 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

(LOL... yes indeed.  My question was rhetorical!)  

:)

<< Prev Page of 984 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version