Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 946 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2019 at 6:16pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Terminator Genisys (2015). Ugh. The first half is kind of enjoyable, if utterly redundant/unasked for, as it recreates things we've either seen already or have been told about before, but occasionally with a slight twist. But then it all goes pear shaped once John Connor appears out of the blue in the wrong timeline and is just an annoying adversary. Shallow thing to say, but I don't like Jason Clarke's face.

Also, in the original Michael Biehn looked authentically like someone who really might have come from that dystopian future -- a scrawny, wiry intense thing, someone who's just managed to eek out their survival. IN contrast, Jai Courtney is just so... well fed. In some ways, he makes Arnie look underdeveloped. And he's pretty laid back for someone who has the fate of all humanity resting on their shoulders. Bring back that Biehn intensity! Listen.... And understand!
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 31 October 2019 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

LUV (1967)

Jack Lemon, Peter Falk, Elaine May and Nina Wayne in a misfire farce I remembered as being much better. (Full disclosure, the last time I saw it I was 19 and may have been influenced by Ms Wayne’s talents.)

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2019 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

TERMINATOR: GENISYS is garbage.  But surprisingly watchable garbage, when I finally caught it earlier this year.  I could almost appreciate the off-the-wall-bonkers "ULTIMATE TERMINATOR" approach they seemed to be going for--there were plenty of fun bits & callbacks--but overall, it's still an eye-roller of a sequel/remake/retcon-prequel thingie.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2019 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I was on vacation earlier this month when this one was re-released in the theaters for its 40th anniversary, so for Halloween-night I'm treating myself to:

ALIEN (1979)

It's come to the point where the shocks are no longer surprising... but I will still never tire of the original.  Still the best.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2019 at 1:27am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Peter wrote " I don't like Jason Clarke's face"

Me niether, i don`t know why, i just don`t
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 01 November 2019 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Peter wrote " I don't like Jason Clarke's face"

Me niether, i don`t know why, i just don`t

••

There's something about his face that makes me think it's about to implode into the center. I also cannot say why.

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2019 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

A great double feature:

STRANGERS ON A TRAIN

followed by

DOUBLE INDEMNITY

-------
Both much emulated over the years. Still worth revisiting

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2019 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I first saw Terminator Genesis in a French cinema. In French. I don’t speak French. 

I thought I must have missed the explanation as to what happened. So I asked the people I went with what it was. 
They explained that it was not given. 

Unforgivable. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2019 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Yeah, it's a head-scratcher. I first watched it on a plane with a couple of G&Ts inside me and so I thought it might make a bit more of a positive impact on a decent-sized screen watching sober as a judge. They give a kind of very brief, very half arsed timey-wimey explanation to do with a significant event causing... something. Listen, it's like a balled up piece of string... Ziggy, can I get some help!

They really don't make any concession as to how John Connor has rocked up in 2017. Presumably just made use of the time machine again and ended up at the same point that Reece and Sarah decide to go to. It's an all roads lead to the nexus kind of deal.

Anyway, I watched Frankenstein Created Woman (1967). It ends up as being a pretty straight-forward revenge flick, with Frankenstein almost sittting on the sidelines. It's not bad and Cushing's Frankenstein really is kind of ambiguous. Definitely not a good guy, but not a villain either. Bit flexible in the morality department, maybe, but more civilised than about 90% of the other characters in the town. Good score by James Bernard as well. The film kind of sidesteps the most interesting issues that you'd think would stem from sticking a man's spirit into the body of a female suicide, who also happens to retain her own spirit.

Edited by Peter Martin on 01 November 2019 at 6:31pm

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 November 2019 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

There are some who get hung up on the idea that we "can't change the Past," which is what THE TERMINATOR seems to be all about. Peter David wrote a review for CBG in which he tried to apply Marvel's time travel "rules," missing the point by a wide margin.

One of the fun things about time travel is There Are No Rules. None, at least, except those the author creates for a particular story. As long as s/he adheres to those, no problem.

The original TERMINATOR skirts the "changing the Past" problem by telling the story from Sarah's POV. So it's not the Past that is being changed, but the Future.*

----------------------------

* An often overlooked point of the first movie is that the Future is NOT being changed. The whole thrust is about making sure John Connor gets born so he can lead the resistance. The second movie is about making sure SkyNet doesn't happen. The third--well, it just f*cks up the second. Sequelitis. Erasing what came before.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2019 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

STRANGERS ON A TRAIN

followed by

DOUBLE INDEMNITY
The Raymond Chandler five star duet!  He had his hand in many other brilliant works (chiefly his own Philip Marlowe novels) but these are easily his two masterpiece screenplays.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2019 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

TERMINATOR: GENISYS is garbage.  But surprisingly watchable garbage, when I finally caught it earlier this year.  I could almost appreciate the off-the-wall-bonkers "ULTIMATE TERMINATOR" approach they seemed to be going for--there were plenty of fun bits & callbacks--but overall, it's still an eye-roller of a sequel/remake/retcon-prequel thingie.

Pretty much how I felt. And Emilia Clarke didn't hurt its watchability. 

<< Prev Page of 946 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version