Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 946 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 10 September 2019 at 6:08am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

…JURASSIC PARK, with big dinosaurs…

••

And only six minutes of them!!

Back to Top profile | search

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2019 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"Even JURASSIC PARK, with big dinosaurs, the most chilling moments were the kids in the tiny space of the car, "

Spielberg knows his way around a car, see SUGARLAND EXPRESS!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 10 September 2019 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Or DUEL.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 11 September 2019 at 6:14pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

IT’S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD (1963)

Culling my DVD collection, and decided to give this a look before pushing it to the back of the shelf. Way too long, and way too unfunny. Tho my 13 year old self thought the “kick the bucket” moment was hilarious.

(I also never did understand the cruel treatment of Spencer Tracy's character. Who thought THAT was a good idea?)

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2019 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'm with you, JB, on IAMMMMW. While at times "zany," even as a kid I never found it overly funny. Now as an adult, if I come across it on TV I want to tell Spencer Tracy to "Run away!".
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

BABY FACE HARRINGTON (1935)
I have a guy at work like the character of character actor Charles Butterworth. He says basic commonalities with that same flat expression, and asks if you agree.

A scene with Butterworth, Una Merkel, Eugene Pallete, and Donald Meek -- that's gotta be the Mount Rushmore of something!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

A last point on WORLD’s shabby treatment of Tracy’s character. Toward the end the Chief of Police orders his apprehension and arrest—but based on what? The audience knows he’s slipped off the straight and narrow, the cops do not.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

THE BIG BUS (1976)

More culling. Roger Stern said it best. If this a been just a liiiittle crazier it could have been AIRPLANE before AIRPLANE.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 8:42pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The Changeling (1980).

Caught a short snippet of this in the mid eighties when I was just a child and it was too intense for me back then. In the intervening years, I'd heard others comments that this was an extremely scary film, which seemed to jibe with my own limited experience, so I watched this with some expectation.

The music is pretty effective and George C Scott was a great actor, but I found it a little disappointing. It does have some eerie moments, but ultimately it's not on a par with the heavy hitters from that era. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

(THE CHANGELING is an old horror favorite of mine, Peter, but the last time I watched it, I noticed how it was almost too top-heavy with plot... and I wasn't too keen with how it turned from a great haunted house thriller, into a murder-mystery-that-must-be-solved, which kind of bogged everything down for me.)

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 14 September 2019 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Decades ago I sublet an apartment in an old converted mansion in Brooklyn Heights. The owner told me it was the house that has been used in THE CHANGELING. Only years later did I learn, via the IMDb, that the house as seen in the movie did not really exist, and was an old brownstone in Vancouver, Canada, with a false façade added for filming.

So I have no idea what THAT was all about!!

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2019 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN (1976) via Netflix.

I had only seen snippets of the film but never the whole thing from start to finish. A few weeks ago I finished reading a non-fiction book by Bob Woodward and it reminded me to add that film to my watch list.

Not a bad film IMO, but it isn't one I plan on re-watching any time soon. A good cast but a rather abrupt ending that (I think) shortchanges the impact of how the media's pursuit of the truth brought down Nixon and his cronies.

And while Jason Robards was solid in his role as Ben Bradlee, I don't know if he merited an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor based on his rather limited screen time. Makes me want to see who else was in the running that year for the Academy Awards.

<< Prev Page of 946 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version