Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 928 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

TEEN TITANS GO! TO THE MOVIES (2018)

All I can say is:  Biggest laughs I had in the theater last summer, and holds-up on a second viewing, a year later.  Shouldn't be my cup of tea, but I love it.

YMMV, of course!

Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Followed by:

GHOST RIDER: SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE (2012)

Lord help me, I actually found this hugely enjoyable.  More stylish but even more bonkers than the 2007 attempt... it's no great art, but it's a ton of stupid fun.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 10:23pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Shaun Barry wrote:
...but because he refused to don the sharp teeth, or have any fake blood on his chin, there's just nothing particularly evil, foreboding or unsettling about his take on the famous vampire...

Fun fact: Dracula's fangs are never shown onscreen in any of the classic Universal films from the 1930s and 40s.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 11:46pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

In the book, all his teeth are pointed.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2019 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"Dracula's fangs are never shown onscreen in any of the classic Universal films from the 1930s and 40s."

Which I never quite understood why!

Tyler Kloster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2019 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

THE TOMB OF LIGEIA (1964)

I've been making my way through all the Roger Corman cycle of Edgar Allen Poe adaptations (first time for some, revisits for others), loving them all, until this one...I don't know, it just left me cold, despite the script from Robert Towne (!).

It's always good to see Vincent Price and I could listen to his voice for hours, but this felt completely different than the other Corman Poe films, partly because of the admittedly impressive outdoor location photography early on. Some good moments here and there, but....I don't know how the stuff with the black cat and its screeches played in 1964, but in 2019 they felt like they were edited in from a Mel Brooks film.

The least of the Corman Poe films for me. Wish I had watched THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH again instead.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 July 2019 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

AVP - ALIEN vs PREDATOR (2004)

That was a fast 15 years!

Best of all the sequels, to both franchises, until PREDATORS which basically ties it.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 July 2019 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

2012 (2009)

As big dumb disaster movies go, this is probably one of the biggest and certainly one of the dumbest. Mostly on the strength of its star power, tho, it is more entertaining than it has any right to be.

John Cusack basically plays Superman.

Kevin Corcoran
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2019 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

T2 Trainspotting. I enjoyed it as a dual experience: revisiting characters from the original Trainspotting which I owned and rewatched many times on VHS; and the added layer of characters needling each other for the perceived folly of "going back home," which is a critique that could just as easily be leveled at the cast / creators. 

No scene does this more than when Simon (née Sick-Boy) tells Renton "You're a tourist in your own youth." Of course, the two then proceed to take a deep dive into their collective past / reliving hijinks. I had fun tagging along (while definitely grateful to be viewing from afar.) 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2019 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

WHEN HARRY MET SALLY... (1989)

Cute movie.  Not convinced it's quite the full-on '80s classic it's made out to be (it seems just a little too slight, by the end), but it's definitely up there somewhere in the Top 10 of romantic comedies, at least.

Who would've thought Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan would have made such an adorable couple?  (Though it's a bummer to note that both Bruno Kirby and Carrie Fisher are long gone, since the last time I probably watched this film.)

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2019 at 11:05pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

THE BIG SICK (2017)

A semi-fictionalized account of the real-life romance between stand-up comedian Kumail Nanjiani and his wife, Emily Gordon, who went into a coma during a troubled period of their relationship and awoke to find that he had been waiting for her to recover at the hospital, dealing with doctors and her family, the entire time. 

We see most of the film from Kumail's point-of-view as he and Emily (played by Zoe Kazan) meet and being sleeping together, with a complicated string of rules to keep things between them from ever becoming too serious. Kumail's family, his mother in particular, insist that he marry a good Muslim Pakistani woman and set him up on "appointments" to meet with them all the time. 

In between dealing with his family and Emily's (her parents are played by Ray Romano and Holly Hunter) Kumail is run ragged and deals with the situation and Emily's failing health as best he can.

I found a good portion of the film a little over-acted and under-realized but once the relation with Emily's parents kicks in, things became a good deal more involved. The film comes alive as they begin to find ways to interact and deal with one another. I enjoyed every scene with Kumail's family as the underlying pressures are very real beneath the surface dynamics. Anupam Kher, a veteran of over 500 films, plays the father, but it is the mother, played by Zenobia Shroff who is the true power in the family.

The film has one joke that had me laughing so hard I had to stop the DVD and a couple of other laugh-out-loud moments. Mainly it's about decency and people being good to one another. And it's based in real life. Do people still do that? :-)

Edited by Brian Hague on 18 July 2019 at 11:07pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2019 at 11:13pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

EVERYBODY'S FINE (2009)

Here's one that I didn't even realize was out there. Robert DeNiro, Sam Rockwell, and Drew Barrymore made a movie together? It was news to me. 

DeNiro plays a recent widower whose far-scattered kids promise to come home for a family dinner and then, one by one, all cancel. At loose ends with his time, DeNiro travels the country, visiting them one by one to look in on them. 

There's a central conceit I found awkward, but once it is navigated, I enjoyed the film a great deal. It's a slow build, no question, with a number of scenes with DeNiro talking to reg'lar folks about his journey, but once the story started to roll, I was on board with it.  And there is a killer narrative device that works like gangbusters. I genuinely enjoyed this movie.

Edited by Brian Hague on 18 July 2019 at 11:13pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 928 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version