Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 933 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2019 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Had a bit of an odd Double Feature here Sunday night.

First up was AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON (1981). This is one my earliest memories of actually being frightened by a movie. I think it holds up pretty well. Still love that first transformation scene. Damn.  

Next up was THE APOSTLE (1997). I love, love, love this movie. Everything about it. This is a movie I revisit every few years and I always enjoy it. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2019 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Catching up after a few weeks of Netflix viewing...

RALPH WRECKS THE INTERNET (2018)- - enjoyable in spots but it was a notch or two below the first Wreck-It Ralph film IMO. I did like the visual interpretation of the Internet and some of the sight gags, but it lacked the quality supporting characters that the original movie used so well.

MEGAMIND (2010) - - a re-watch for me, as I saw it on DVD several years back. I like how it makes fun of the stereotypical superhero vs. super villain dynamic but IMO the film starts to lag as the Jonah Hill character gets more screen time.

GET CARTER (1971) - - the original version with Michael Caine in the lead role. Supposed to be a "gritty" crime drama but it didn't really hit the mark for me. Part of it is that Caine just does not come across as a badass onscreen. And for a 70's British film, it had a lot more nudity in it than I was expecting, although Geraldine Moffat was quite an eyeful to enjoy.

Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 6:34pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Timothy Dalton is James Bond 007 in 
LICENCE TO KILL (1989)

Easily my favorite of the two Dalton entries, even if it doesn't necessarily feel like a James Bond movie (I don't think there's a single scene that takes place in England!).

I understand THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS has its admirers, but I've always found that one to be immensely boring... at least LICENCE TO KILL moves at a brisk pace, has a ton of (sometimes grisly) action, a memorable villain in Robert Davi, and two knockout Bond ladies (Talisa Soto and Carey Lowell).

Though the one-time score from Michael Kamen reminds me too much of the LETHAL WEAPON movies!  (Understandably, since he did score those, too.)

Edited by Shaun Barry on 10 July 2019 at 6:38pm

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I liked Licence to kill. Saw it at a theater back then. i particularly liked Carey Lowell.
I'm not much a fan of Timothy Dalton as James Bond, though.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 6:10pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Frank Langella in DRACULA (1979)

In the pantheon of Dracula films, this is far from a favorite, yet there are far worse attempts.  There's a lot to like or admire, such as the lush John Williams score, the handsome production design, some fun turns from Donald Pleasance and Laurence Olivier, and a stunning Kate Nelligan.

But there are plenty of unintentionally amusing bits, and quite frankly (ahem), I'm ultimately just not a fan of Frank Langella in the title role.  He looks great, he's certainly elegant, and I guess he's got the hand gestures down... but because he refused to don the sharp teeth, or have any fake blood on his chin, there's just nothing particularly evil, foreboding or unsettling about his take on the famous vampire. 

He's just too good-looking and pleasant to be scary!

Edited by Shaun Barry on 12 July 2019 at 7:17pm

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES (1970)

Okay, so maybe it’s a sickness. Much as I dislike the sequels, I get the occasional urge to watch the second and/or third.

This one I find frustrating on many levels. It’s here that the dismantling of the original begins—something that would pretty much take over in the third—and yet there are moments that strongly evoke the mood and timbre of it. It’s not enough to call it a near miss, but there are some good ideas. (And I am fond of Cornelius’ line “They will dissect you, and they will kill you, in that order!”)

Very evident, and very sad, is the slashing of the budget, seen especially in the one-size-fits-all ape masks, which were kept pretty much in the background in the first film, but here are front and center on most of the simian cast.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

There was quite the build up for DRACULA as I remember. I saw it soon after it's release and was underwhelmed. So much so that I haven't seen more than 5 minutes of the movie since that night.

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2019 at 3:07am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The Planet of the Apes movies of the late 60s and the 70s, like the Magnificent Seven ones, (and the johnny Weismuller Tarzan) were a huge part of my childhood (they were almost each year on tv, most often on the occasion of some holidays week, or monh when it was summer)

The first Planet of the Ape movie is way above all the rest.
I never was a  fan of Beneath, but it has, like you said, some good ideas and concepts that we saw later in comics or other SF movies an tv shows- like the subway as a ruin of the old world, etc...)
The other one i love is third one: Escape From The Planet Of The Apes, by Don Taylor, who later did another of my favorite movies: The Final Coundown - in french: Nimitz, retour vers l'enfer)
The planet of the apes movies of the original series that came after that, i enjoyed, but they are simply the occasion to see again an universe i like, and to have sequels. to see the (revised) history that lead to that world.
even if of course in the first movie the Apes came (devolved? or reevolved..) from man, like man came from the ape.

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 13 July 2019 at 3:10am

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2019 at 3:08am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

also yesterday i bought Captain Marvel, but i didn't see it yet.

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 13 July 2019 at 3:08am

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 July 2019 at 4:49am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

One last point on BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES.

The original movie played with a fairly standard sci-fi trope of the Fifties and Sixties: atomic radiation causes disfiguring mutations in humans (and other creatures). Altho the movie took the idea to an outlandish extreme--humans "evolving" into apes--it was nevertheless based in something approaching real science.

By introducing telepathic mutants, BENEATH went off into the realms of fantasy. Sure, most people believed in ESP to one degree or another, but bringing it into the PotA mythos was, imho, a bridge too far.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 July 2019 at 4:50am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

also yesterday i bought Captain Marvel, but i didn't see it yet.

••

Hope you enjoy watching someone else playing a video game!

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2019 at 5:19am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

=> telepathic mutants, and visibly degenerate ones with that, due to radioactivity with very visible sequels, is one of the clichés i don't like in this second movie. Maybe the most boring thing in this movie.

I think often it was either one movie a week on tuesday evening (no school on wednesday back then), or more than one when it was the holidays.
Anyway when it was this one (Beneath), that was still the movie to watch when you were a kid, or you'ld miss one of the series, but it was clearlynot the most enteraining of them.

For me it had some things i like in SF: the further exploration of a world.
And others i don't like: unoriginal unealthy degenerate (because of radioactivity) mutants, other clichés like the bomb they have, and the ending, weak and not very interesting.

And not enough Charlton Easton, but he didn't want to do a sequel in the first place.

Other than the exploration, the best thing that came out of beaneath is the third movie.

=>Captain Marvel/ Video Game: well it has been true of about 70%... ok maybe only 50%.. of american movies for maybe the last 25 years. And most of the majors movies have been aimed at teenagers* for longer than that* (*corrected from eenager and hat. Caught h...these faults on time.) 

=>Last film i rewatched on disc: Come September, with Rock Hudson, Gina Lolobrigida, Sandra Dee and Bobby Darin

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 13 July 2019 at 5:22am

<< Prev Page of 933 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version