Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 933 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2019 at 6:10am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"Love to see this one redone in full CG."

"Et tu, Brute?"
To me L&S is one of the last great traditionally animated movies. I can only think of it in that way.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 04 July 2019 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The animation LILO & STITCH is top notch, but it suffers from characters and objects changing shape and size from angle to angle.* Something common in even the best traditional animation. CGI had made me hyper-aware of this.

(THE IRON GIANT uses quite a bit of CGI, especially for the titular character, and I have long been convinced some of the shots of Hogarth and his Mom were at least "assisted" with computer animation. They're just too good!)

* This does not count Jumba, who actually changes dramatically somewhere just past the midway point. Apparently that was a deliberate (if odd) choice by the director.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2019 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Brian, I also liked Searching.

Reminded me a lot of what David Schwimmer did when he made TRUST, although Trust had a more bleak ending

Edited by James Woodcock on 04 July 2019 at 1:00pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2019 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I was halfway through SEARCHING before I realized that the police detective was played by Debra Messing. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2019 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Billy Elliot (2000). Nearly 20 years old, wow. No matter how many films Jamie Bell does, he will forever be in my mind little Billy who just wants to do his bally, but his da will only let him do his boxin' like. The film is entrenched in my memory as a modern British classic, but watching it again I was struck by how it does tend to stretch not very  much for quite a long time. Julie Walters is really very good, the music is quirkily enjoyable (who was listening to T-Rex in 1984?), but it ain't all that. Since the first time I saw it, I always had a bit of a problem with the ending, as Billy is Jamie Bell, not the stranger appearing briefly at the end, so it just didn't work perfectly for me (the stage version cleverly introduces the older-Billy earlier on in a fantasy section where he dances with himself). Also watching it again, it struck me how well the songs were squeezed into the musical. The lyrics to the song The Letter are just the words used for the letter in the film. At the end, when Billy is asked to explain what dancing feels like, it really does feel like he should break into song. The film actually feels like a musical anyway, with so many sequences choreographed to music. Still enjoyable, but not quite as good as I remembered it. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 07 July 2019 at 6:32pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

DREDD (2012)

Third viewing. Grim but satisfying.

Tyler Kloster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2019 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I have never been a fan of the idea that Laurie Strode was Michael's sister and I think it was a dumb retcon. It does, however, give an explanation for why he comes after her again. This film gives a rather half-baked hypothesis muttered by a nutjob psychiatrist but doesn't really come up with a satisfactory reason why one-note Michael is back for this grey-haired former babysitter from forever ago.

SPOILERS for the 2018 Halloween.....

Peter, I would argue that in the new Halloween (which I love but concede has flaws), Michael is never really after Laurie Strode at all. She is the one obsessed with him in this film, not the other way around. The "nutjob psychiatrist" talks about how his pursuit of Laurie is what has kept him alive all these years, but taken solely on the evidence in the film, this is just talk. Michael has not spoken or communicated in any other way in 55 years, so there is nothing he could have said or done that indicated he was obsessed with her.

Once he has escaped custody and returns to Haddonfield, we never see him make any effort to try and track her down...he merely comes back to Haddonfield because it's home. He does end up pursuing Laurie's granddaughter at one point, obviously, but it plays out as a coincidence to me, with nothing indicating that he has any idea who she is. It seems to be the first time he has ever seen her.

Even the first time Michael and Laurie lock eyes on each other, he doesn't go after her...he flees the area. Yes, Michael does go all-out to kill Laurie at the climax, and it does seem personal to him at that point, but even there, he and Laurie were only in the same place because another character orchestrated things to play out that way. 

So yeah, based on what happens in the film, I don't think this Michael has the same obsession with killing Laurie or her family that he had in the now-erased sequels or the Rob Zombie films. He does want to kill her, but not really any more or less than he wants to kill anyone else.

(To be fair, a few of the deleted scenes on the Blu-Ray DO suggest that Michael was indeed stalking Laurie's family on Halloween day and that he did in fact know who Laurie's granddaughter was. But since they are not in the film itself.....)

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 07 July 2019 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Seems like you guys are writing the movie.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2019 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

From the "It's Time I Gave Up and Donated This Disc" Dept.:

Stanley Kubrick's EYES WIDE SHUT (1999)

The sex thriller where nothing happens.  I've tried many times since its initial release, back when I was the biggest Kubrick fan I knew, and had been anxiously awaiting this film for a good chunk of the '90s... the end result being the one true stinker in the Kubrick filmography.

Never a fan to begin with, but the DVD edition came with a Kubrick box set a few years later, so I would try to revisit about once every 5 years, to see if anything would finally click with me, but nope:  Though the germs for a riveting drama are laid throughout, and other than looking typically exquisite, with a gorgeous soundtrack, the whole is dramatically inert and lifeless from the first minute to the last, featuring a career-worst performance from Nicole Kidman, laughably mundane dialogue (not a single noteworthy quote!), and Tom Cruise's character's bizarre, annoying habit of repeating every line addressed to him.

Try as I might, I can't defend it.  Compared to his other classics, Kubrick's swan song (he died months before the July 1999 release) is an across-the-board dud.  Life's too short to subject myself to this one anymore!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 July 2019 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Howard Mackie perfectly analyzed EYES WIDE SHUT years ago. He pointed out that it was based on a story written in the 1920s, when it WAS scandalous to find oneself at a party surrounded my naked people, and it WAS scandalous for one's wife to DREAM of having an affair with another man.

But brought up to 1999. . . .

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 July 2019 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

JUMANJI - WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE

Holds up as a mindless action movie that does not take itself too seriously.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2019 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Aw man, I love EYES WIDE SHUT! I think it has all the
usual masterful Kubrick movie-making: the sound/music
and how fantastic everything just LOOKS. Beyond that I
think it just creates an amazing tension throughout. I
think you can just feel the anguish Cruise's character
is going through for 2+ hours.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 933 Next >>