Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 933 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2014 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"Watched AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON for the first time. I enjoyed this one."
------------------------------------

"One of my favourite movies. Rather than being dated, I think the transformation sequence has never been topped. Seems so much more tangible than CGI."

Agreed. I think the practical effects give it a timeless quality. CG effects are often more likely to date a movie, IMO.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 11 April 2014 at 8:38pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES (1953) with Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell.  My second favorite Monroe film (after SOME LIKE IT HOT).  Wonderfully garish and subversive.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

William Griffin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2014 at 4:34am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

William: IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT - I'm not a fan of other collaborations between Frank Capra and writer Robert Riskin but this one is... well, it's all right. The screenplay doesn't have a lot to do with it - the movie is likeable but not particularly funny (and seems twice as long as it is), and what pleasures it contains are entirely down to the charming performances of Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert, who are both terrific. 

Ha! I can't even agree with your praise for Gable and Colbert, given your suggestion that they somehow created charming performances in spite of the screenplay. So, I guess you could say that I could not disagree more.

The screenplay's okay, but it's certainly not operating on the level that the leads are. They're better than the material - but fair enough, they didn't magic those characters out of thin air.
Back to Top profile | search

William Griffin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2014 at 4:52am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

PLANET OF THE APES - fucking ace, as always.

PENTHOUSE NORTH - A riff on 'Wait Until Dark' with Michael Keaton as magnetic as usual as the baddie tormenting blind victim Michelle Monaghan while he tries to locate some stolen diamonds. This is another role that's beneath his talents but he Keatons the hell out of it anyway. His career has never maintained the high profile it should have, and this is firmly on the bottom rung of his patchy filmography. He's the only reason I watched it until the end.

Keaton aside, the movie is pretty much a waste of time, being a boringly generic thriller shot on a distractingly artificial set.  It's very much a Joseph Ruben film, basically. I'm not sure why the villains don't even attempt to search the apartment rather than just terrorise Monaghan, but then weird omissions like that and contrived attempts to ratchet up tension where there is none are all that keep the movie going.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2014 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

CLEAR HISTORY- Reminds me of a 100 minute episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.  If that sounds appealing to you, you'll enjoy this movie.  A star-studded cast, mostly in small roles.

KONGA- I started reading the recently released collection of Ditko KONGA comics so I wanted to see the movie.  The Ditko art is better than the not-so-special effects from the movie.  Also I found it interesting how different the movie is from the comic adaptation: major plot lines are altered or removed and some of the motives/characterizations of the major characters are entirely different.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2014 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

MAN OF STEEL (2013)?

No.

MAN OF S***.

Happy 75th Birthday, Superman. Sorry your party sucked.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2014 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

ANCHORMAN 2

Wanted to like it a lot. Liked it a little. 

The smartest/funniest parts were the ones that skewered 24-hour cable news.

Outside of that, mostly a disappointment. You're better served re-watching the original.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 14 April 2014 at 6:48pm

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 14 April 2014 at 8:08pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

When i saw Blair Witch there no boos,just a collective `Is that it?` I didn`t find it scary,just over-hyped and irritating in it`s lack of a cohesive story,yes i know that`s part of `Found footage` films,but i have no time for them,especially the nauseating Clover Field!

•••

The woman I was dating at the time persuaded me to see BLAIR WITCH. I went in with two "demands" -- that there be a logical reason these young people keep on filming when they're lost, and that the movie doesn't just END.

Lost on both counts.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2014 at 5:44am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

MIDNIGHT RUN (1988).

Possibly one of my favourite films. Still funny after all these years. De Niro and Grodin are on fire, and this was back when De Niro wasn't know to do funny.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2014 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

After the FOCKER movies, he's still not.

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2014 at 5:19am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Mission Impossible Ghost protocol.
I expected to be entertained, but I ended being disappointed. The gadgets are both stupid and déja vu at the same time (Kremlin scene reminded me of the Toys movie with Robin Williams). And I prefer to forget the secret hideout of IMF (a train wagon ? I hope James West will appreciate).
Please M. Hunt, do not accept the next mission. Enjoy your holidays.

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2014 at 6:54am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

12 MONKEYS followed by THE GODFATHER, Part 2

I was overseas in South Korea when 12 MONKEYS was released back in 1995. And though I usually catch most action films with Bruce Willis in them, I expect that I wasn't interested in this one since Willis' co-star (Brad Pitt) was not to my liking. At the time Pitt (to me) was just that pretty boy from the THELMA & LOUISE film. But after a few decades I was ready to see what I missed.

I was also a bit late to the party when it comes to watching THE GODFATHER movies. Part II runs three hours plus, so I had to clear my schedule to fit it in but it was well worth it. Any feedback out there as to how Part III stacks up?

<< Prev Page of 933 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version