Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 916 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2014 at 6:12am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

QUOTE:
last time I saw it I was alone in the house

Been meaning to watch it again ... good idea. With the lights off, of course.
Back to Top profile | search

William Griffin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2014 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Good luck!

Just watched THE WAY WAY BACK, which I wanted to like more than I did but was a very engaging and, in terms of character, thoroughly believable movie. Worth another watch at some point.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2014 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

(where most of the audience BOOED at the end!).
-----------------------
The last few minutes were the only bits I really liked (the guy facing the corner creeped me out).

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 09 April 2014 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Put me into the "unimpressed" camp in regards to BLAIR WITCH.  I only saw it once and mostly found it dull.  I don't remember anything except shaky camera work and rustling leaves -- neither of which rank very high among my fear triggers.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

William Griffin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2014 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

THE BLING RING - Insufferably boring and as shallow as its characters. It's impossible to care about the fate of these vacuous pinheads as they rob the homes of various stars; what could have been a fascinating indictment of the emptiness of the Paris Hilton end of celebrity culture is instead a tedious, one-note, repetitious and surface level bore full of bland and wooden performances. I was so happy when the end credits finally rolled around. 

Benny Hasa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2014 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Watched AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON for the first time. I enjoyed this one. Sure, the special effects are dated in todays world, but that really didn't bother me. An entertaining horror comedy for sure.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2014 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

When i saw Blair Witch there were no boos,just a collective `Is that it?` I didn`t find it scary,just over-hyped and irritating in it`s lack of a cohesive story,yes i know that`s part of `Found footage` films,but i have no time for them,especially the nauseating Clover Field!

Edited by Bill Collins on 15 April 2014 at 7:57am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

William Griffin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2014 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

ROBERTA - a tedious musical in which Ginger Rogers's natural charm and the riveting dance numbers with Fred Astaire take a back seat to Randolph Scott's bland turn and Irene Dunne's unbearably ear-piercing screech. Any time Astaire gets on the dance floor or Rogers does, well, anything, the movie is delightful. There's far too little of either of them, however.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2014 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Watched AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON for the first time. I enjoyed this one. 
------------------------------------
One of my favourite movies. Rather than being dated, I think the transformation sequence has never been topped. Seems so much more tangible than CGI.

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2014 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

LOGAN'S RUN on Blu-Ray.

I'm afraid that neither the Blu-Ray format nor the presence of Jenny Agutter were able to rescue this one. I had not seen it in quite some time but found myself cringing about some of the less-than-stellar special effects. My wife pointed out to me that many of the indoor scenes were actually filmed inside a 1970s shopping mall instead of a studio lot.

Although Hollywood's track record when it comes to re-makes is mediocre at best, it would appear that LOGAN'S RUN would be a good candidate given the tools that are available to film makers in the 21st century.

William Griffin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2014 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT - I'm not a fan of other collaborations between Frank Capra and writer Robert Riskin but this one is... well, it's all right. The screenplay doesn't have a lot to do with it - the movie is likeable but not particularly funny (and seems twice as long as it is), and what pleasures it contains are entirely down to the charming performances of Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert, who are both terrific. 

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2014 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

William: IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT - I'm not a fan of other collaborations between Frank Capra and writer Robert Riskin but this one is... well, it's all right. The screenplay doesn't have a lot to do with it - the movie is likeable but not particularly funny (and seems twice as long as it is), and what pleasures it contains are entirely down to the charming performances of Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert, who are both terrific.

Ha! I can't even agree with your praise for Gable and Colbert, given your suggestion that they somehow created charming performances in spite of the screenplay. So, I guess you could say that I could not disagree more.

Edited by Mark Haslett on 11 April 2014 at 5:13pm

<< Prev Page of 916 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version