Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 941 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2014 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

THE AMITYVILLE HORROR (1979)

Growing up in the '80s, I used to consider this one of the scariest, most disturbing horror movies I'd ever seen in my life (hey, I was young once)... and, you know, it "actually happened," too!

Now I can see it for its obvious, ridiculous goofiness, and unintentional laughs (Helen Shaver speaking in a demonic voice is a real howler)... but darn it, there are still SOME moments that are quite effective, and tap back into that 8- or 9-year old, who watched it on TV from behind the living room couch.

And avoided the family attic and/or basement for weeks afterwards!

Back to Top profile | search

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2014 at 9:39pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Wake in Fright (1971) - A thoroughly engrossing and disturbing tale, set in the Australian  Outback, from future First Blood director Ted Kotcheff.

A really sweaty film too, you can almost smell this one!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2014 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Finally caught FROZEN on Blu-ray earlier this week. But I think I missed something by not seeing the film on the large screen. The story is fine and the music is solid. I just think that the animation doesn't get the "Wow" it deserves when you view in on the (relatively) small screen.

Followed that up with THE WOLF OF WALL STREET. I am not a huge fan of Leonardo DiCaprio but he really seemed to be digging into the lead role with gusto. I didn't have any sympathy for the character he played onscreen, but you did wonder how long he was going to get away with living a life of greed, sexual excess, and rampant drug use before it all came crashing down on him.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2014 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

THE AMITYVILLE HORROR (1979)

Growing up in the '80s, I used to consider this one of the scariest, most disturbing horror movies I'd ever seen in my life (hey, I was young once)...
------------------------------------------
The music alone was enough to send me scurrying for the safety of my bedsheets when it was shown on network TV back when my age was still measured in single digits.

Benny Hasa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2014 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Watched 47 RONIN last night. Not as bad as some of the reviews made it out to be, but not the greatest film made by any stretch. Still, I enjoyed it.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 02 April 2014 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

FROZEN ... I just think that the animation doesn't get the "Wow" it deserves when you view in on the (relatively) small screen.

Having seen it on both the big screen (in 3D) and on TV, I can say that was exactly my reaction.  I loved it in the theater, but found myself restless through much of it when I watched it on TV.  

Didn't care for much of the music, although "Let It Go" has been stuck in my head for days now.

William Griffin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2014 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa - despite the siege premise and the more cinematic treatment, this keeps the vibe of the TV series but isn't quite as funny. It was good to see this cast of characters again, though. The kind of thing I enjoyed while it was on and will probably never think about ever again.

William Griffin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2014 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

GRAVITY - I braced myself for a drop in the level of love I have for this movie thanks to the move to the small screen and the loss of 3D. Didn't happen. 

It turns out 3D is the least important component; at home the spectacle may be lessened somewhat (in terms of the experience but not the storytelling) but the intimacy of the story is revealed more fully and the film remains just as tense, as intense, as compelling and gripping and breath-taking and heart-stopping as it was in the cinema. 

Sandra Bullock is entirely believable and carries the film almost entirely on her shoulders, and Alfonso Cuaron switches viewpoints seamlessly, moving us from subjective to objective POVs without ever showing off. It's such a carefully controlled film; Hitchcockian in the way it holds you right in the palm of its hand. The fusion between images and music is perfect. It's a visual effects showcase that never loses sight of the human journey and emotion at the core, but instead tells the story without drawing attention to itself, and in that respect it sits at the opposite end of the spectrum from something like a Michael Bay film.

I love it.  Absolutely adore it. It's a great film, a genuinely great one, and an instant classic. 

William Griffin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2014 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

THE FOUNTAIN - Maybe it's too enigmatic at times, but moment by moment I find The Fountain absolutely fascinating. Three strands merge - Hugh Jackman trying to save his wife Rachel Weisz, the book she's written that mirrors their story, and a surreal element that could be a dream, could be the afterlife, could be a metaphor or could be nonsense. Whatever it is, it keeps me coming back to the movie looking for the answer; at the very least this is a beautiful film, a visual treat and an emotional epic. It's special, and I admire it for that.

William Griffin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2014 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY - Intensely scary first time round but less so on repeat viewings. Some really creepy moments survive but I did keep thinking of (British film critic) Mark Kermode's description of the movie as quiet quiet quiet quiet BANG! Bit dull, probably won't see it again.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 05 April 2014 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I was in the mood for something new(ish) but nothing On Demand caught my fancy.  I almost watched GRAVITY again, but I think once was enough.  Although I like DiCaprio (when not in a role for which he's woefully ill suited) and usually enjoy Scorsese's films, I can't work up any interest in WOLF OF WALL STREET.   I feel like I've already seen the movie, without ever seeing it.

So, in honor of what would have been Bette Davis' 106th birthday, I watched ALL ABOUT EVE -- one of the most literate and witty films ever made.

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2014 at 4:00am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Wolf Of Wall Street was quite entertaining but it felt like a
Scorcese by the numbers job.

<< Prev Page of 941 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version