Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 924 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2014 at 6:57am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Shaun, I have given up on films. I find it easier to give up on a film that airs on free TV (well, relatively free, given us Brits pay 140+ a year for a TV licence). When I've rented or paid for a DVD, I *have* to finish it most of the time. It's easy to switch off when a TV channel is airing it, but paying for a DVD makes it different.

You make some valid points. One really could have done with a pen and piece of paper to keep track of it all. At one point in the film, I did have to ask myself, "Which level are they on now?" It does require a high level of alertness/concentration, akin to driving a train. Dreams within dreams within dreams and keeping track of it all gave my mind a workout!
Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2014 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

(I hear you, Robbie... I applaud you for sticking through it, and I don't knock you if you enjoyed it! I just distinctly remember thinking, "This movie's wasting my time," when I tried to give it a shot.)

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2014 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

THE COUNSELOR- Weird movie. Well acted but no real beginning, no
real end and nothing but a mess in between. However, if you want to
know what sick twisted stuff can happen to middle men in a Cartel
drug deal, this is for you. Personally, this is a case where I feel I lost
two hours of my life that can never be returned.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 24 March 2014 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The talk of Mel Brooks reminded me that I don't think I've watched any of his movies, other than YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, in quite a while.  So I watched HIGH ANXIETY.  I can see why I loved this as a kid, although now I found it no more than intermittently amusing. The PSYCHO shower parody and the attack of THE BIRDS were pretty darn funny, as were Harvey Korman and Cloris Leachman.  Madeline Kahn was mostly wasted.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 March 2014 at 5:50am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The talk of Mel Brooks reminded me that I don't think I've watched any of his movies, other than YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, in quite a while. So I watched HIGH ANXIETY. I can see why I loved this as a kid, although now I found it no more than intermittently amusing. The PSYCHO shower parody and the attack of THE BIRDS were pretty darn funny, as were Harvey Korman and Cloris Leachman. Madeline Kahn was mostly wasted.

In THE ADVENTURE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES SMARTER BROTHER, we see Wilder without Brooks. In HIGH ANXIETY, we see Brooks without Wilder.

I think it is somewhat telling that if we take the best parts of each of those films, few as they are, and meld them together, we begin to approach something like YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN. Clearly there was a synergy in Brooks/Wilder that is not to be found in each alone.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2014 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"THE HANGOVER III
Not having seen all of the other two, I'm not sure why I decided to pause
when I landed on this while surfing tonight. But, it kept me moderately
entertained for the full 100 minutes or so of its running time, so I guess
there must be something there."

Huh. I thought that HANGOVER III was terrible, the worst of the series (for
starters, there was no actual hangover in it). I did greatly enjoy the first, and
the second to a lesser degree. I guess that with fresh eyes the formula would
not appear to be overplayed so you could enjoy it more for what it was.
Makes me wonder if you'd like the first two more or less than the third?

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 25 March 2014 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The only one that worked for me was the original.  Loved it.  Saw the second in the theatre will all the same beats as the first.  Hated it so much so that I haven't even tried the third.  

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 March 2014 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'm reasonably certain not being familiar with the other two helped me enjoy the third. I took it on its own merits, such as they are, without any frame of reference.

(By the way, Vinny, there IS a "hangover" -- but not until the very end! That coda included a giraffe statue with a broken neck. If I had remembered that was one of the "gags" in the second film, I probably would not have watched this one!)

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2014 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Huh (again). You're right! I just looked it up and read that it was during the
credit sequence. Clearly I didn't make it that far when I watched it!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2014 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The pull of morbid curiosity got me to pop in EYES WIDE SHUT again for the first time in about 5 years (the DVD came with a Stanley Kubrick box set I purchased back in, yup, 2001)...

Since the first time I saw it in the theaters, I've found this to be the only truly bad, downright insipid Kubrick film, almost from the first line of dialogue... I love all of his other films, but I couldn't quite put my finger on why I loathe this one so much. I've long felt that the whole was just dramatically INERT, but now I can see & hear just how BAD the performances & dialogue are in this film.

Oddly enough, I find Cruise the least offensive (not a big fan of his), but it's Nicole Kidman (who I usually like!) who I find to be a real groaner. EVERY LINE is delivered in a long, drawn-out, slow-motion way that gets to be extremely aggravating to listen to.

And again, the dialogue is so painfully flat and unmemorable... nothing at all in here to stand up against the most quotable lines of CLOCKWORK ORANGE, THE SHINING, FULL METAL JACKET, DR. STRANGELOVE, etc.

Every few years, I wonder if I'll ever see new & different things in Kubrick's swan song, but it always comes off as a crushing disappointment. (But to its slim credit, it's still gorgeous to look at, featuring one of his best soundtracks. And lots of naked ladies. But that's it!)

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2014 at 10:01pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Also watching the 1979 DRACULA...

Not great, not bad, but got me thinking how, for me, there still hasn't been one definitive DRACULA film; and how, if I could wave the proverbial magic wand, my dream version would be made up of:

Most of the cast and script of the 1977 "Count Dracula" BBC production, but with Edward Van Sloan and Dwight Frye (1931 version) as Van Helsing & Renfield; and Christopher Lee (1958 version) as Dracula;

With production design and budget of the 1979 John Badham film;

Visual effects and soundtrack from the 1992 Francis Ford Coppola version;

Locations from NOSFERATU (1922) and the 1979 film;

Directed by the same Tobe Hooper who gave us the 1979 "Salem's Lot" TV miniseries;

...and THAT could be my dream DRACULA film!

Edited by Shaun Barry on 25 March 2014 at 10:06pm

Jack Michaels
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2014 at 10:15pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

QUOTE:
Since the first time I saw it in the theaters, I've found this to be the only truly bad, downright insipid Kubrick film, almost from the first line of dialogue... I love all of his other films, but I couldn't quite put my finger on why I loathe this one so much. I've long felt that the whole was just dramatically INERT, but now I can see & hear just how BAD the performances & dialogue are in this film.

It's one of those films which should have been made in the 70s back when the subject matter was still edgy and shocking. There would have at least been a sense of danger to it which would remain even after society overtook it. 

Instead it's like Madonna's Sex book, arty and safe. 

<< Prev Page of 924 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version