Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 933 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 21 March 2014 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

FROZEN.  Well I was afraid of this.  I saw FROZEN in theaters and loved it.  But I saw it in 3D on a very large screen and that often elevates films into an "experience".  When I see the same films later on TV, they don't hold up as well.  Unfortunately, that happened here.  Too much music, and too much of it of the generic, faux-Broadway variety.  Also a bit dull, until around the 45 minute mark.

On the plus side, it's certainly beautiful too look at and the CGI is impressive.  (Odd, though, that they didn't give the characters frozen breath.) 

Loved the snowman's song about  his dreams of summer.  "Doing whatever snow does in summer ..."
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2014 at 10:29pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Coincidentally, I just finished watching the second half of YF on TV and, once again, found myself marveling that its so much more cohesive and disciplined (not to mention funnier) than Brooks' other films.  
~~~~~~~~
Perhaps that has to do with It being Gene Wilder's concept.
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 21 March 2014 at 11:30pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN (2013) - DIE HARD has certainly cast a very,very long shadow.  Beat by beat, this is pretty much DIE HARD AT THE WHITE HOUSE.  Just about everything is there.  Brooding lone hero, singular mission, moves through the environment picking off villains one by one.  There's even a scene reminiscent of McClane meeting Hans Gruber and mistaking him for someone else down to having a smoke!  It's a really successful formula which is why it's been copied so much.  Not a horrible waste of 2 hours, but there is absolutely nothing new here nor any originality to speak of whatsoever.  If you want a popcorn action flic, this could be for you.  If you're looking for anything more?  Look somewhere else.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 March 2014 at 5:18am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I assume the 'fudging' involves pushing YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN to the other side of the line?

I place YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN in a class unto itself, as it was actually Gene Wilder's film to start with. He was the one who invited Brooks in to direct.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 22 March 2014 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

it was actually Gene Wilder's film to start with

True, although that makes me wonder why nothing else Wilder ever did was even in the ballpark of YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN.  I think the gulf between YF and Wilder's other films is even greater than YF and Brooks' other films.  Some strange alchemy occurred while making that movie!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 March 2014 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

...it was actually Gene Wilder's film to start with

True, although that makes me wonder why nothing else Wilder ever did was even in the ballpark of YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN. I think the gulf between YF and Wilder's other films is even greater than YF and Brooks' other films. Some strange alchemy occurred while making that movie!

Very true. The whole was greater than the sum of its parts. Which is why I consider YF a separate entity.

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2014 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Re. THE THIN MAN: I was talking to someone the other day about it. The movie came out in 1934; Prohibition ended in 1933. It must have been very amusing to the audiences to have this great couple sloshed half the time.

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2014 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Hoffa 

Jack is amazing in this film.  I still can't believe he didn't get nominated for an Oscar.  

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 March 2014 at 8:11pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

THE HANGOVER III

Not having seen all of the other two, I'm not sure why I decided to pause when I landed on this while surfing tonight. But, it kept me moderately entertained for the full 100 minutes or so of its running time, so I guess there must be something there.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2014 at 6:11am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

INCEPTION (2010)

Ouch! My head hurts. I need a rewatch and soon. Very hard to keep track of a dream within a dream within a dream concept. Very entertaining, solid performances from all and some fantastic moments, but definitely a film that requires concentration. Train drivers would probably be able to handle the concentration required to watch this film! :D

They say that fish is good for the brain/memory. So when I rewatch this, I shall eat as much fish as I can before the movie and eat whilst I am watching it. Maybe that'll help. :)

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2014 at 6:34am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

(I gave up on INCEPTION within 15-20 minutes... once it was established that there could be dreams within dreams, and they could be happening within any of the characters minds at any given moment, I knew we were going to be in for too many "twists," and I just didn't care.)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2014 at 6:57am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Shaun, I have given up on films. I find it easier to give up on a film that airs on free TV (well, relatively free, given us Brits pay 140+ a year for a TV licence). When I've rented or paid for a DVD, I *have* to finish it most of the time. It's easy to switch off when a TV channel is airing it, but paying for a DVD makes it different.

You make some valid points. One really could have done with a pen and piece of paper to keep track of it all. At one point in the film, I did have to ask myself, "Which level are they on now?" It does require a high level of alertness/concentration, akin to driving a train. Dreams within dreams within dreams and keeping track of it all gave my mind a workout!

<< Prev Page of 933 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version