Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 432
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2019 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm a big fan of Aliens and have no time for Alien 3. I think I have watched it no more than once, which was enough for me.

For me, the most horrifying and entertaining aspects of the film are the behind-the-scenes stories of studio-meddling and general folly.

Edited by Peter Martin on 11 January 2019 at 1:34pm
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 11 January 2019 at 6:32pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR (1947)

First time for the year!

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2019 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK (2005)

Really should have caught this one in theaters.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 January 2019 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Thatís been 14 years? ARRGGHHHH!!!!!

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2019 at 10:06pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Somewhere In Time - 1980

While I've never been particularly into love stories, this one gets me. Every time.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2019 at 7:41am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

BUSY BODIES (1933) -- a Laurel & Hardy classic short.

Hilarious and amazing as a cartoon come to life.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2019 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

IZZY GETS THE F*CK ACROSS TOWN (2017)

A young woman whose life is in disarray finds out her boyfriend is announcing his engagement at a party to which she wasn't invited and tries to get there in time to stop it. I was hoping for a little more RUN, LOLA, RUN than the film actually had, although there are a couple of shots here and there that acknowledge it. Overall, an enjoyable low-budget indie pic with an array of jerks and weirdos getting in the way of our heroine achieving her goal. Also features the always-fun Alia Shawkat as one of the people Izzy meets along the way.

TULLY (2018) 

"From the people who brought you JUNO and YOUNG ADULT." Well, that was enough to get me on board. It's sort of a middle-aged JUNO meets (name withheld to prevent plot spoiler) meets THE SHAPE OF WATER... And the thread of coincidence that weaves itself about these sorts of things being what it is, it turns out that watching this immediately after IZZY resulted in a mini-Mackenzie Davis title role film festival, which is not a bad thing at all.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 January 2019 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

THE PLOT TO KILL HITLER (1990)

The same story handled by the more recent Tom Cruise film. Alas, despite (or because of?) the weighty subject matter, I begin to be convinced there is no way to film this story without it devolving into a series of talking heads.

Still, an earnest endeavor.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2019 at 11:07pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

JASON GOES TO HELL: THE FINAL FRIDAY. The ninth installment in the Friday the 13th film series, which puts the lie to the rumor I heard in grade school about the studio planning on thirteen installments. (There have since been three more, so here's hoping...)

It started promisingly, with nudity and violence before the 5 minute mark, but an hour in I didn't have the foggiest idea what was going on. I think Jason possessed people? Having randos lumber after teenagers turns out to be less effective than an endomorph in a hockey mask. The filming style reminded me of late-Seventies John Waters, which was probably not intentional. The thumbnail on Netflix has Freddy Krueger in it, but that turned out to be the literal final shot of the movie, so I was spoiled AND let down. However it fulfilled its necessary function as background noise there's that. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 19 January 2019 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

A literal Creature Feature, THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, REVENGE OF THE CREATURE and THE CREATURE WALKS AMONG US.

The first Iíve seen multiple times (tho itís not really a favorite), once actually in 3D, as it was originally released. The others have been the stuff of legend, until now. Better, perhaps, if they had stayed so.

Despite the mythic status of the original, these are not great movies. All three are sluggish and simple-mindedóand not just by modern standards. Set beside contemporary films like THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, THEM!, THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD, and even lesser lights like THIS ISLAND EARTH and WORLD WITHOUT END, they drag.

The Creature suit is impressive, tho.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2019 at 7:30pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

(There's so much dead weight in all three CREATURE movies, I've often wondered if a modern remake could easily condense the 3 basic plotlines into one potent film.)

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2019 at 7:55pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I tried watching THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON again recently but only made it about half way thru.

I haven't seen REVENGE since that early eighties 3D tv "event" gripped the country. I got my glasses at the local 7-Eleven. Anti-climatic cannot begin to describe that viewing.

I do not recall seeing one moment of the third movie.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 432
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version