Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 432 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2018 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

An Elmore Leonard based double the last couple of days:

GET SHORTY (1995)

I love this movie. So many good performances, even in the smaller parts (no pun intended). Not really a Travolta fan, but he really shines in this. 

JACKIE BROWN (1997)

Considering how fast things move in Leonard's prose, the pacing in this movie feels really slow. Definitely more Tarantino than the source material. Good performances, but ultimately not a very satisfying watch. 

Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2018 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1978)

Maybe not quite as timeless as the original 1956 film, but still one of the better (or one of the best?) remakes of any genre.

And 40 years later:  Still one of the all-time great final scenes, in any movie, ever!  (Donald Sutherland creeps me out to this day, because of this one film.)

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2019 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE (1969)

This is actually only the second time I've ever seen this film, which puts it next to THUNDERBALL as my least watched Bond film. But it's not a bad film at all, really. I just find Lazenby a tough sell as Bond. Very good in the action scenes, but that's about it. Imagine what Connery would have done with this material... 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2019 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

HEREDITARY (2018)

Yikes, dodged a bullet by missing this one in the theaters, even though critical acclaim was through the roof...

Absolutely excruciating, brutal, nasty, depressing, hopeless, disgusting, angry, bitter, ugly... I understand there will always be some unpleasant aspects in any horror film, but this had to be one of the worst viewing experiences I ever had, horror or otherwise.  I admit it hooked me within the first 10 minutes, but then by the 1/3 mark, it takes an agonizing turn that any parent will find repulsive & unnecessary, and it was all downhill from there... I now understand why the general public reacted so badly to this one last summer.  I may have walked out, had I been in the theater.  At home, I had to hit the fast-forward button a number of times, just to get through most of it (for the record, I did find the acting compelling--Toni Collette is especially good--but that's about it). 

No entertainment value whatsoever... an endurance test, pure & simple, meant for one purpose only:  To make the viewer feel as bad as possible.

I don't usually say this, but avoid this one at all costs.  Unbearable.

Kevin Sharp
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2019 at 11:04pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

HEREDITARY (2018)

Yikes, dodged a bullet by missing this one in the theaters, even though critical acclaim was through the roof...

I can't argue with your points, but I've now watched this twice & come away both times (especially the second) impressed with the filmmaking craft on display here. This rings the same bell for me as THE WITCH from 2015. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 05 January 2019 at 3:50am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
THE NUTTY PROFESSOR (1963)

Some have called this one Jerry Lewis’ masterpiece, his CITIZEN KANE. A tad grandiose, perhaps, but if one is prepared to accept his bag of tropes—including his apparent assumption that everything he did was funny—it does have its moments.

My entire life (childhood, teens and adulthood) I've never found Jerry Lewis funny.  Ever.  My only soft spot for him is the Labor Day telethon.  That's about it.  Never found him particularly funny or innovative.  Much like the Three Stooges, I find him a chore to sit through.  He may have his moments and bits, but strung together as a film or even a coherent story?  Painful for me to watch...and I love vaudeville.  You want me to give up the goods?  Play an endless loop of Lewis films.  You'll have me after the third reel.  

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 05 January 2019 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Sacrilege tho I know it to be, I prefer the Stooges to the Marx Brothers. Altho the former are undoubtedly low, low grade humor, I find the latter incredibly contrived.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2019 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Two recent viewings:

TRAINING DAY- somehow missed this when it came out in
2001 (?). Enjoyed it quite a bit, entertaining all the
way through.

HALLOWEEN (2018)- an enjoyable addition to the
franchise. I like that it's all played straight. No
goofiness that creeps into a lot of horror flicks.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 05 January 2019 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

RAMPAGE (2018)

Second time. Still ridiculous, still fun.

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2019 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I saw HEREDITARY and unlike Shaun Barry above, I really liked it.  Has more of that 70s darkness that went away for so long, we forgot what it was like to have movies like this and now that they are coming back, people don't know how to react. 

SPOILER: I found it interesting in that its ending was very similar to that of Rob Zombie's THE LORDS OF SALEM.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2019 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Godzilla (1998). For some reason, I lucked out on not seeing this in the cinema some 20 years ago. Recorded it from a 90s cable station I have and thought I'd give it a whirl. Man, is it bad!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 January 2019 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

ZOOTOPIA (2016)

Still brilliant!!!!

(Altho... “Codes subject to expiration after June 7 2021.” What, I’m just renting this disc?)

Gregory Harshman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2019 at 11:37pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

THE BUCCANEER (1958) – this is the second or third time I’ve seen this film. It is a fun, entertaining movie and I always love to see Yul Brenner. I also enjoyed Charlton Heston as Andrew Jackson. I love the opening scene when the new recruit asks Jackson how long he has been serving with old hawk face and Jackson replies “I am old hawk face.”

I wish I could say I found TARAS BULBA (1962) as entertaining, but to be honest it was tedious in places, and Tony Curtis seemed horribly miscast. The only parts I really enjoyed were when Mr. Brenner was on screen. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2019 at 6:54am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

That may be the code for the digital copy, JB. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 January 2019 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

That makes sense!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2019 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Rewatched The Fury (1978) for the first time in at least a couple of decades. Pretty good film. Not great, but pretty good and some key scenes still retain all their effectiveness.

Random observations:

1. Nice eerie and melancholy score by John Williams (and it uses a theremin!)
2. Amy Irving was really pretty when they made this film.
3. Awesome make-up for the throbbing vein in Robin Sadza's head. It looks so genuine that at first I thought it might just be some talent of the actor.
4. Never trust a character played by John Cassavetes.
5. De Palma stages the 'psychic' scenes brilliantly. Particularly, the one with the train going ape-shit around the track and the one where Amy Irving's character Gillian has a postcognitive vision.
6. The film feels like it lies somewhere on the same spectrum between Carrie, The Dead Zone and Dreamscape. Not as good as the Dead Zone or Carrie though!
7. No messing around at the end. Climax, end credits. Old school. 

A fun film and I think I'll try and see if I can hunt down the score on CD.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 January 2019 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I first saw THE FURY on Canadian network television. After the last explosive shot, they cut to a pizza commercial.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2019 at 9:14pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Speaking of John Cassavetes, I'm watching THE DIRTY DOZEN right now. "You've got one religious maniac, one malignant dwarf, two near-idiots... and the rest I don't even wanna think about!"

Anyone seen John Cassavetes's directorial works like FACES or A WOMAN UNDER THE INFLUENCE? Intense stuff. Hard to watch, but rewarding.  

Kevin Sharp
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2019 at 10:54pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Anyone seen John Cassavetes's directorial works like FACES or A WOMAN UNDER THE INFLUENCE? Intense stuff. Hard to watch, but rewarding.  

I'm mixed on his oeuvre as a whole, but I love love love WOMAN UNDER.. and OPENING NIGHT. 

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2019 at 12:39am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Just finished OPERATION FINALE (2018) on DVD.

This one came and went at my local theaters so quickly last year that I never had the chance to see it on the big screen. It garnered mostly solid critical reviews although the box office was very weak.

I enjoyed it just fine, even though I was hoping that it would have been more suspenseful. I guess I was expecting something more along the lines of ARGO, but this was a notch or two below that level. I think that part of that shortfall is due to the director focusing on the captive/captor relationship instead of the Mossad members' escape.

Ben Kingsley is very good in his role as Adolf Eichmann but the film has a good sized ensemble cast and none of the other performances really stood out for me.

A good film, but not a great one. Worth a look if you can track it down on DVD.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 10 January 2019 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

7. No messing around at the end. Climax, end credits. Old school.

••

This is something I have grown to loathe. I really enjoyed 28 DAYS LATER, in no small part because they skipped the stupid undoes-everything after credits "moment". Happy ending! Then they made a sequel, and the whole ^&#^ movie was a stupid undoes-everything moment.

First Rule of Sequels: if you can't do it without breaking the original, DON'T DO IT!

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2019 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I realize you're not asking for a listing of such howlers, but damn if ALIEN 3 (!?) might be the movie I hate the most for such trap. And I don't even care for ALIENS anymore.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2019 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

SPOILER:

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
ALIEN was a horror film. Even if its follow-up wasn't, there is a tradition in horror sequels of killing off the survivors of previous films. The film did not owe Hicks and Newt a happy ending. In fact, their deaths made the film all the more horrific, something the rest of the picture could have used, actually. Something I noticed the last time I saw it; Newt is still alive as the ship is sinking. You can see her struggling inside her capsule. Come on. Are we going to do a horror film here or aren't we? That is pretty damned horrifying. And the autopsy...? (Shudders)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2019 at 10:31pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I have mixed feelings about ALIEN 3. I agree with Brian in that it took the series back to its horror roots...but...Jim Cameron made an exciting action-horror film with a feel-good ending. A film which arguably didn’t need a sequel, since it wrapped up Ripley’s story and gave her a happy ending. He essentially put the toys back in the box, but still left her in a slightly better place than she was at the end of ALIEN.

I understand what Fincher and company were trying to do. I admire the audacity of it, and how successful the horror of it is (particularly that autopsy scene).

But...it feels like they broke an unspoken covenant with the audience by pulling the rug out from under us and breaking the toys within the first five minutes of ALIEN 3. Fan entitlement is not necessarily a good thing, but sometimes you should give the fans what they want. ALIENS had a well-deserved happy ending, and ripping it away for shock value feels more mean-spirited than artistic. It feels like a cheat, even though it fits with the dark, “anyone can die” spirit of the overall series. Indeed, the actual plot mechanics of the premise of ALIEN 3 are a cheat. There’s no way to connect the dots and get that egg aboard the ship, based on what we see at the end of ALIENS.

Again, I have mixed feelings about it. I don’t hate ALIEN 3, as many do. I think it’s a very interesting failure.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 11 January 2019 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

ALIEN3 was the mess that it was for a very simple reason: Carrie Henn had grown up too much to play Newt, especially after time in hypersleep.

Mind you, since ALIENS didn't take place thirty seconds after ALIEN, there was no reason ALIEN3 needed to be in such close temporal proximity to its predecessor. This was a choice, and one made without any concern from the overall pattern of the burgeoning series.

It wasn't broken, so they broke it.

<< Prev Page of 432 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version