Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 922 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 20 2014 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The Jockey in ALIEN has a biomechanical look like the title dharacter's, 
indicating that they come from the same culture (although the Aliens 
are presumably bio-engineered). Dallas points out that its corpse is 
fossilized.

```````
Well yes but PROMETHEUS doesn't contradict that. The suit still could have fossilized with the humanoid inside. 

If I understood it correctly the xenomorph was created when Prometheus Aliens was infected by that creature. 

```
And most of all, the whole point of the Jockey, his ship, and the Alien is 
that they're all...alien. Totally non-human, and incomprehensible to our 
heroes.
~~~~~~~
Well none of that changed. In respect to the movie Alien. They had very little knowledge of the "Jockey" 
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 20 2014 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If I understood it correctly the xenomorph was created when
Prometheus Aliens was infected by that creature.
++++++++++

Either you didn't understand it, or PROMETHEUS got it wrong,
because the derelict in ALIEN was supposed to have been crashed
long enough for the pilot to be fossilized.

PROMETHEUS only takes place about three decades before ALIEN,
so we can presume that the ALIEN eggs were another kind of weapon,
sent out centuries before, purpose and destination unknown.

The tag scene of PROMETHEUS seems more about connecting to
ALIEN than showing the literal origin of our favorite xenomorphs.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 20 2014 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Well none of that changed. In respect to the movie Alien. They had very
little knowledge of the "Jockey.
++++++++

Humanoids who created us in their own image (and are now trying to
kill us) are more comprehensible than biomechanical elephants we
have no connection with whatsoever.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: March 20 2014 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The Jockey in ALIEN has a biomechanical look like the title dharacter's, indicating that they come from the same culture (although the Aliens are presumably bio-engineered). Dallas points out that its corpse is fossilized.

```````Well yes but PROMETHEUS doesn't contradict that. The suit still could have fossilized with the humanoid inside.

What flavor is that Kool-Aid, Anthony?

You're applying one of the oldest -- and lamest -- ploys for generating sequels, "Well, they didn't actually SAY this didn't happen..." In ALIEN, the Space Jockey was presented as an alien, not an alien in a suit. Everything about Geiger's design is based on decomposed biology, from the elephant skull head to the splintered ribs. The thing was supposed to look DEAD, which it did very effectively. (That slow zoom in on the creature's right eye loses a lot of its oomph, doesn't it, if all were looking at is a broken lens, half a pair of goggles.

Hey, maybe we can create a sequel by having a ship pick up the pieces of the alien blasted apart by Ripley at the end of the first movie. Then, each of the pieces can grow into a full sized alien. After all, nothing in the movie said that COULDN'T happen!

(ALIEN 3 actually played this card, with Ripley finding herself "impregnated." After all, nothing in the second movie said she WASN'T...)

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 20 2014 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It's easy for me: As far as I can tell, original ALIEN screenwriter Dan O'Bannon had no input whatsoever in PROMETHEUS, before his death in 2009.

So: Pass, forever!

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 20 2014 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

What flavor is that Kool-Aid, Anthony?

You're applying one of the oldest -- and lamest -- ploys for generating sequels, "Well, they didn't actually SAY this didn't happen..." In ALIEN, the Space Jockey was presented as an alien, not an alien in a suit. Everything about Geiger's design is based on decomposed biology, from the elephant skull head to the splintered ribs. The thing was supposed to look DEAD, which it did very effectively. (That slow zoom in on the creature's right eye loses a lot of its oomph, doesn't it, if all were looking at is a broken lens, half a pair of goggles.

Hey, maybe we can create a sequel by having a ship pick up the pieces of the alien blasted apart by Ripley at the end of the first movie. Then, each of the pieces can grow into a full sized alien. After all, nothing in the movie said that COULDN'T happen!

(ALIEN 3 actually played this card, with Ripley finding herself "impregnated." After all, nothing in the second movie said she WASN'T...)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please don't misunderstand my stance on the matter. I'm in agreement with both you and Greg, JB.

I didn't like that Ridley Scott decided to make the Space Jockey humanoid. I was very disappointed that we didn't get to see the Space Jockeys as they appeared in Alien.

My point is If  there was very little information given about them in Alien. How could it be a retcon? Wouldn't there have to be something contradictory between the two films for there to be a retcon to take place?

Unless I'm misunderstanding the meaning of retconning.

Now I'm not saying I buy into this notion but wouldn't any information about the Space Jockey just be an assumption and not a proven fact? As far as the crew of the Nostromo is concerned. 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 20 2014 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Either you didn't understand it, or PROMETHEUS got it wrong, 
because the derelict in ALIEN was supposed to have been crashed 
long enough for the pilot to be fossilized. 

PROMETHEUS only takes place about three decades before ALIEN, 
~~~~~~~~~~~
I missed the point in the film that stated the film was only three decades prior to ALIEN. Prometheus got it wrong.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 20 2014 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Wouldn't there have to be something contradictory between the two films for there to be a retcon to take place?
------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------

The size of the Jockey is contradiction Anthony. As I said up thread - Ridley had to use children in Alien to convey the size whereas in Prometheus, the Jockey is little more than adult human size

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 20 2014 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The size of the Jockey is contradiction Anthony. As I said up thread - Ridley had to use children in Alien to convey the size whereas in Prometheus, the Jockey is little more than adult human size
~~~~~
Okay so there are two contradictions. The size of the Space Jockey and the span of time between the films. I was aware in the difference in size. I didn't give it too much thought at the time. But given that the contradictions are adding up. It can't be ignored. Are there any other blatant contradictions?

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 20 2014 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Depends - you just want ALIEN or are you including the whole series? Wayland contradicts the other films (which while being rubbish bar ALIENS and AVP) did exist before.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 20 2014 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Depends - you just want ALIEN or are you including the whole series? Wayland contradicts the other films (which while being rubbish bar ALIENS and AVP) did exist before.
~~~~~~~~~~
I think it's only fair to just compare Prometheus to ALIEN.  Since that was the only two films that Ridley Scott. At least that I'm aware of his involvement. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: March 20 2014 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

THE THIN MAN (1934)

Having seen AFTER THE THIN MAN for the first time the other night, I decided I should take a look at the others, starting this evening with the first one.

Quite a difference! Hollywood wasn't yet HOLLYWOOD, and really wouldn't be for another five years. This movie strives for the wit and glamor that really start to make themselves apparent in the next one, but the equation isn't full worked out yet. A few too many straight-to-the-camera reaction shots, for one thing.

Still, enjoyable enough, and I look forward to the third, perhaps tomorrow. Bit worried about the impending kid, tho...

<< Prev Page of 922 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version