Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 429 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2018 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I've been watching for Wheeler and Woolsey comedies on TCM these past few years; MUMMY'S BOYS isn't their best.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 October 2018 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

TABLE 19 (2017)

Anna Kendrick leads a solid cast in another movie that feels like an extended sitcom. Which is not altogether a bad thing.

I liked it.

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2018 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Annabelle: Creation - Finally got around to watching this, much better than Annabelle(and creepier)...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2018 at 9:42pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Just saw
Wages of Sin

Really interesting, French film from the 50's.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2018 at 12:50am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Jack Bohn wrote:
...I've been watching for Wheeler and Woolsey comedies on TCM these past few years; MUMMY'S BOYS isn't their best...

No, it isn't. It's one of their final films, too. Give "Cockeyed Cavaliers" a watch, if you haven't already done so. It's one of their best.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 October 2018 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

US MARSHALS (1998)

Sequel to the FUGITIVE remake. Too many (obvious) twists. No big surprise this did not turn into a franchise.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2018 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I have failed to watch US MARSHALS all the way through as it was just one of those films I could not see the point of. It was just like watching an inferior version of the first one. Almost beat for beat it seemed to me

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2018 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I didn't understand what dramatic purpose a movie about Sam Girard served. He exists as part of the story in "The Fugitive," I didn't get anything out of seeing him engage in random acts of police work. It was plot without a story.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2018 at 8:28pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The Fugitive remake built in a terrific mechanism for a sequel in that the movie ended with Dr. Kimbal riding away in a car with the only person on earth who knows he's innocent. A sequel could have begun there and killed Tommy Lee Jones somehow, setting Kimbal/Harrison Ford to clear his name against a brand new set of circumstances.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2018 at 6:34am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Phantasm (1979)

A regular October watch. Such a bizarre story, I think that's my attraction to it. No matter how dated the effects get they still work for me.

I was hooked on this from a Fangoria article I read upon the movies release.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2018 at 10:22pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Vincent Price in HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL (1959)

First-time viewing... the plot doesn't really hold up to too much scrutiny, and the whole isn't terribly plausible, but it's still highly enjoyable, with a solid cast and some witty dialogue.

Also features one of the biggest, eeriest jump-scares in any b&w pre-'60s horror film I've ever seen... watched this one with my 3 kids, and all four of us got jolted pretty good, and we all agreed, "Wow, that was creepy!!"  (Anyone else who's seen this probably knows what I'm talking about!)

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2018 at 5:21am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

MIDNIGHT RUN (1988)

Not too long ago I saw this, but I felt like watching it again this weekend. A timeless classic, easily one of my favourite films. I still laugh at the exact same moments! For all the great roles Robert de Niro has done, I prefer his performance in this one. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 29 October 2018 at 5:36am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

DAVE (1993)

Kapra-esque comedy is always a delight—tho tinged with sadness in these troubled times.

Something I’d not noted previously: unless my earbones failed me, at the end, Ben Kingsley’s vice-president is sworn in as the 45th president. If only!

(I realized something Rump has “given” us: how many times before have we been so aware of the president’s number?)

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 30 October 2018 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

KING KONG (1933)

Part of TCM’s Halloween celebrations. How could I resist?

This movie has changed a lot in my mind, over the years. When I first saw it, chopped to pieces on the Late Late Show when I was in my tweens, I totally bought into its message of Man Conquers All. A few additional decades, tho, and the message inadvertently becomes Man Spoils All.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2018 at 5:48pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Like JB, I caught a film from TCM's Halloween celebrations. They've been showing a string of Mummy films from Universal and Hammer, and I have been erratically recording a few to my DVR. The latest one I watched was The Curse of The Mummy's Tomb (1964), which is that rate thing for me: a half-decent Hammer film that I hadn't seen before.

This doesn't seem to be too well regarded, judging by online ratings, but I quite enjoyed it. The acting leaves a little to be desired in places and it suffers from a lack of Hammer regulars (Michael Ripper pops up very briefly), but I liked the way they weaved the telling of different timelines together, there is an unexpected twist and one very nasty death (or suggestively nasty, at least; the gory details are thankfully left offscreen).

I probably enjoyed it a bit more than Hammer's previous Mummy tale which featured its two most famous stars.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2018 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Halloween-Eve triple feature:

POLTERGEIST (1982)
An old '80s favorite, even if it seems more & more outlandish with each new viewing.  More of a comic-book haunted house movie, in the best sense.  I've been saying for years that the only thing missing from the totally bonkers climax is a cameo appearance from Dr. Strange!

HALLOWEEN (1978)
Kind of a given, especially for its 40th anniversary, but if I'm being honest:  Still not quite a favorite.  Lots to admire, but what once seemed lean & mean storytelling now comes across as slight and, at times, ill-conceived.  I do love the photography and score, though, and there's no denying that Michael Myers is one of the screen's great boogeymen.

THE CONJURING (2013)
My favorite horror film of the 2010s, and I don't forsee anything knocking it from my top spot within the next remaining 14 months.  Perfectly encapsulates just about anything and everything I've ever loved in spooky movies since I was a kid.  It's certainly derivative, but in a confident, fun, potent manner, much like STAR WARS was with sci-fi and fantasy films back in '77.  In many ways, I find this one to be an expert, top-notch example in horror filmmaking.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 30 October 2018 at 8:52pm

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 30 October 2018 at 9:02pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

H. G. WELLS’ THINGS TO COME (1936)

With the distinction of a script actually by Wells, this one is fascinating for how much it gets WRONG. The Future is impossible to predict (sorry, Nostradamus fans) and Wells was no better at it than anyone.

A most significant variant is his picture of the Second World War, which begins at Xmas time, 1940, and drags on for decades, dragging civilization into a nearly Medieval state. Wells did not foresee the atomic bomb, or the cold war it created.

One element that has annoyed me since first viewing is the “villain” of the final chapter who decries and calls for a halt to PROGRESS. Sorry, no. Progress is never bad. If it is, it isn’t progress!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2018 at 4:55am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I've been watching TCM also. Some I'm seeing for the first time, like that Hammer Mummy movie Peter saw. Some many times over like Kong or THE DEVIL-DOLL (which I love). It's been entertaining.

FRIGHT NIGHT (1985)

Still fun for me. I seem to be appreciating Roddy McDowall's performance more at every viewing. It'd the small nuances.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2018 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I hope Doug also likes FRIGHT NIGHT 2 or I'll not be his friend! ;-)

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2018 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Ha! NO Robbie, noooooooooo!!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2018 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Roddy McDowall is one of my favourites. Good in so many different roles (and I love his turn in Fright Night). Watching the Cat From Outer Space recently, though, it was a film in which he was sorely wasted. A lot of the time he's required to do little more than gurn at the camera at length for comedic effect.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

DEADPOOL 2: Finally got 'round to seeing this, and I believe I enjoyed it more than the first one in some respects. I was surprised. 

WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN: A film I've been meaning to get to for a good deal longer, and I'm glad I finally did. I thought the film got better and more assured as it's main character did. I can see where it's influence affected a great many of my favorite films since. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

DEADPOOL 2 at least had a good plot for me, Brian. I couldn't even tell you what the plot was for the first movie. I'm also a Juggernaut fan.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I`m shocked that certain quarters have not yet
complained about Dopinder in the Deadpool movies!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

MY DINNER WITH HERVE (2018)

A pet project for Peter Dinklage, apparently, yet he bears so little resemblance to the title character it seemed very exploitative to me.

<< Prev Page of 429 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version