Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 915 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 10 March 2014 at 5:38am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

THE MUMMY (1933)

Karloff coming to life is still one of the great Chilling Moments in cinema!

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 10 March 2014 at 5:40am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

…despite being a very smart gal in reality, Natalie Portman just cannot convince me that she's a brilliant scientist.

••

Since she ceased to be a child star, I have not seen Ms Portman in any performance where she really seemed comfortable inside her own skin. "Performance" is the key word, perhaps. That's what I am constantly aware of looking at. Not a person moving thru a portion of her life, but an Actor Acting.

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2014 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The Right Stuff (1983) - Not sure how accurate this is to the real events or Tom Wolfe's book (though I intend to change that) but there was much I admired about the film. The only downside for me was the comedic turns by Jeff Goldblum and Harry Shearer, which didn't feel right at all.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2014 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Richard: The Right Stuff (1983) - Not sure how accurate this is to the real events or Tom Wolfe's book (though I intend to change that) but there was much I admired about the film.

It's a great looking film, but one thing you might want to read is William Goldman's account of writing the scripts early drafts with director Kauffman. Goldman felt there was a strange bias in the filmmaker to make the astronauts come off as lesser men than the great Chuck Yeager. Goldman ultimately wanted no part in that and left the film.

And it really stinks how much the film goes out of its way to torpedo Gus Grissom's reputation.

Pete York
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2014 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

QUOTE:
...And it really stinks how much the film goes out of its way to torpedo Gus Grissom's reputation.

Isn't that all from the book? The feeling, certainly from the Edwards test pilots and, I think, Wolfe implies about the others in Mercury, was he 'screwed the pooch'. There's a thing in there about them laughing at "It just blew!" as his explanation and another bit about tracking the pulse with sensors and how Grissom's was sky high or something, that he didn't have 'the right stuff'. If anything, the movie has that part with Yeager speaking up for him, "ol' Gussy did alright", something like that.  

Brian Burnham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2014 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

King Kong (1976)

Godzilla Raids Again (1959)

My 8 yr. old son wanted to see both monsters as he had heard of them but never seen them.  He was transfixed throughout Godzilla.  Bored though much of the setup for Kong.  Once Kong showed up though he was happy. 

Brad Danson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2014 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

QUOTE:
Since she ceased to be a child star, I have not seen Ms Portman in any performance where she really seemed comfortable inside her own skin. "Performance" is the key word, perhaps. That's what I am constantly aware of looking at. Not a person moving thru a portion of her life, but an Actor Acting

Watched Thor: The Dark World again the other night and this describes her perfectly*.  She's simply very uncomfortable.  I remember being impressed with her performance in Garden State...though that may have been from low expectations.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2014 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Pete (re: The Right Stuff/Grissom) Isn't that all from the book? The feeling, certainly from the Edwards test pilots and, I think, Wolfe implies about the others in Mercury, was he 'screwed the pooch'. There's a thing in there about them laughing at "It just blew!" as his explanation and another bit about tracking the pulse with sensors and how Grissom's was sky high or something, that he didn't have 'the right stuff'. If anything, the movie has that part with Yeager speaking up for him, "ol' Gussy did alright", something like that.

The book quoted test pilots who opined that Grissom lost his nerve. The movie runs with that and portrays Gus as a pathetic figure. The record of that landing has never been entirely set straight, but other astronauts lined up to support Grissom. One even blew the door on purpose upon landing to see what that could prove (receiving an injury which Grissom did not have, supporting Grissom's version of events). Ultimately, Grissom was given two more missions (including a fatal Apollo mission) which shows that no one in command had anything but faith in him. So it's too bad the movie shaped up the way it did because it could have been more balanced.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2014 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

SOURCE CODE (2011)

Really good movie starring Jake Gyllenhaal, which involves
virtual and alternate reality....and possibly even time
travel.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2014 at 1:31am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Like I say, purely as a film I thought it was very good but
it has now given me the impetuous the read up on the
whole Mercury project.

One thing that did surprise me, is that Chuck Yeager is
still around. I think a film solely based on him would be
great.

Mark - I knew Goldman left the project but will have to
read his account for sure. Cheers for the info.

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2014 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The Reluctant Fundamentalist (2012) - Thought this was ok, nice performance from lead Riz Ahmed and solid if unspectacular direction. The main story told in flashback was far more successful for me than the wraparound story.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 11 March 2014 at 10:35pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

RAIN MAN (1988) - Been forever and a day since I saw this one.  Got a great deal on 9 MGM movies for $40 on Blu-ray from Amazon and this was one of them.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.  Dustin Hoffman's performance is still fantastic and Tom Cruise is, well, Tom Cruise.  You either love him or hate him.  I enjoy his work, even now years later after all the craziness, so it all works for me.

<< Prev Page of 915 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version