Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 422 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2018 at 5:28am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH"

My favorite Niven role!
Good call Pete, I'm going to pick that up.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 29 July 2018 at 5:29am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH

One of my all time favorites, tho the happy ending is darkened somewhat by something that did not occur to me until I'd seen the film two or three times:

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
Frank is still dead.

Pete York
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2018 at 10:04pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yeah, massive gut-punch. You know he's going to represent Niven, you're just waiting to find out how and it's like NO NOT THAT WAY!

THE BOSTON STRANGLER (1968) D: Richard Fleischer

Tony Curtis as the alleged Strangler, Albert DeSalvo. The story takes some, ahem, dramatic license but that's sort of mitigated by the fact that what is now known about the case was revealed subsequent to the movie (DeSalvo's DNA links him to just one of the killings--whoops). Kudos to Curtis, who got a good role he desperately wanted (the studio wanted literally anybody else; Warren Beatty, George Segal, Robert Redford??) and absolutely nailed it.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 6:16pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Surfed into THEM! on TCM, and even tho I'd watched my DVD copy not long ago, could not pass by. SO well done.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The Great Dictator (1940).

Much to admire. I didn't realise till now that this film was a proper talkie; for some reason I'd got it into my head from something I'd read that it was silent but then ended with the speech to camera in sound. Got the wrong end of the stick! Some of the humour kind of feels like proto-Monty Python, while a lot of the rest is classic Chaplin, with inventive pratfalls and the like, which he does so well.

There's no doubting that Chaplin was an artist. The scene with the balloon globe set to Wagner's Lohengrin prelude is a thing of beauty, while the further use of the same music for the aforementioned final address is a touch of inspiration.

Above all, I do like how Chaplin was generally always searching for a laugh and there's many brilliant little ideas and touches on display: the attempts to gain the psychological upper-hand against Napaloni, culminating in barber chairs being jacked up to ludicrous heights; the barber's musical shaves; the barber putting his hand down to lean on the sink, only to slide on a bar of soap; Hynkel and Napaloni trying to argue but foiled by hot English mustard. Memorable stuff!

Pete York
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 10:01pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

RUSHMORE (1998) D: Wes Anderson

Cast is amazing, led by Jason Schwartzman and Bill Murray (I love the little smile Murray gives when he sees the bees are being piped into his hotel room). There's a great score by Mark Mothersbaugh as well as that marvelously deployed British Invasion soundtrack. The story of this odd triangle of people who've lost something and how by the end they all sort of revive each other is really quite splendidly constructed to my mind. Ace movie, hilarious and charming.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Rushmore is a very charming little movie and it was the movie that persuaded me to buy the Teaser and the Firecat album.

I watched the Citizen Kane of all newspaper tycoon movies... namely, Citizen Kane (1941).

Some of the storytelling is dazzlingly well-crafted, such as the transition from Kane looking at a photo of his journalistic dreamteam to the team  coming together at Kane's Inquirer several years later and there is that famed deep focus throughout, combined with dramatic low-angles and expressive lighting. The final scene at Xanadu certainly seems to have influenced Spielberg's famous ending to Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The scene with the bouncing world globe in The Great Dictator was like Chaplin paying homage to the 'silent' film, showing that there was an artistry and impact. A very memorable scene and so interesting how early it was released when the U.S. still wouldn't be involved for well over a year. Hopefully the film helped to poke a few consciences. Things were looking very grim in 1939/1940, possibly the grimest.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

There's Nazi face-melting in Citizen Kane? (I'm kidding, I'm kidding...)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2018 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

TRIAL OF THE INCREDIBLE HULK (1989)

Full thoughts here

Love one scene in it. Banner, jailed and possibly awaiting trial, tries to warn lawyers Matt Murdock and Christa Klein of the consequences of him being put on the stand:

MURDOCK: These are very serious charges against you.
KLEIN: We'll take your case for free, David, we want to help you - and we want you to help us.
MURDOCK: You'll go through the books until you find those two men.
BANNER: I can't stand trial.
MURDOCK: What are you saying?
BANNER: You don't understand, I can't. I have to avoid people, conflict!
KLEIN: You mean medically? You're not well?
BANNER: I change...I change.
KLEIN: We'll be there to help you.
BANNER: You don't understand...!
MURDOCK: I understand that a woman has been kidnapped! And maybe it's not too late for her if you help us break this case!
BANNER: I can't stand trial!!!
MURDOCK: I'm telling you you have no choice!
BANNER: You can't force me to go on the stand! I can't be held responsible for-!
KLEIN: We'll be responsible!
BANNER: You don't know what you're talking about! I'm telling you that it's dangerous! I'm telling you that it's impossible!!!
MURDOCK: And I'm telling you you have no choice! Is that clear?! No choice!

Love that dialogue. Such a powerful scene! You really feel the stress that Banner is under at the thought of going on trial.

Edited by Robbie Parry on 03 August 2018 at 11:49am

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2018 at 10:09pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

BLADE RUNNER: The Final Cut (2007)

I hadn't seen this film, or any of its other versions, since I first saw it back on VHS in the 80's. But I wanted to watch it again before I saw the 2017 sequel.

I enjoyed more than I thought I would even though this version had added in some of the violence that had previously been cut out. And you got a nicer and extended view of actress Joanna Cassidy than what I remembered from the VHS release.

I also didn't miss that the "final cut" omitted the narration by Harrison Ford. The 2007 version simply didn't need it as the story seemed to flow just fine without it. 

Looking forward to tracking down the sequel, if I can find a copy to check out from one of my local libraries. It seems to be in high demand, even if the film didn't exactly clean up at the box office.

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

My Man Godfrey (1936)
William Powell, Carole Lombard, Alice Brady, Gail Patrick, Eugene Pallette, Jean Dixon & Alan Mowbray.

Low resolution, mono sound, black and white, mostly dialogue with very little action and completely character driven. What a lovely captivating movie.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 6:14pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Good choice Steve!
That's one of my all time favorites. Powell is so endearing.

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Sadly, I watched it alone. No one in my family has an appreciation for such movies.

I have a few more classics in my queue, with at least one staring William Powell and Jean Arthur, which I don't think I have seen before.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Powell was wonderful. Like so many American actors of that generation, he basically made a career out of playing the same character in every movie. And he did it SO WELL!

Pete York
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2018 at 7:53pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

SERPICO (1973) D: Sidney Lumet

Terrific Al Pacino performance as the cop whose exposure of systemic corruption in the police force led to the formation of the Knapp Commission and eventual necessary change. Story and character are perfectly served by Arthur Ornitz's incredible street level '70s New York City photography.

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2018 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Someone's Watching Me - One of Carpenters forays into TV movies, definitely shorter than Elvis.  Not a bad movie, I wonder what it would have sounded like with a Carpenter Score...

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

DRACULA - PRINCE OF DARKNESS (1966)

Second outing as the Count for Christopher Lee. Bram Stoker is credited, but only Dracula's name remains.

Kevin Sharp
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2018 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

DRACULA - PRINCE OF DARKNESS (1966)

JB, The Hammer versions of the "famous" monsters are a blind spot for me. What would you say is the best of their Dracula offerings?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 August 2018 at 4:12am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Hammer's horror films are mostly about heavy atmosphere and deep cleavage. They're not great cinema, but if one is in the right mood they can be fun.

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2018 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

ENTER THE DRAGON (1973) (again), prompted by my reading of the new Bruce Lee biography. 

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2018 at 7:33pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

SABOTAGE (2014)- another recent and somehow super secret
Arnold Schwarzenegger movie. No clue how his films get
no hype at all. But anyway...I found this to probably
be my favorite of his post-Governor films that I've seen
so far. Not bad at all.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2018 at 12:28am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

BLADE RUNNER 2049 (2017)

An enjoyable sequel, with some terrific visuals and interesting plot lines. I'm glad I saw it, even though I don't think it has quite the same "wow" factor as the original. But still a very good effort that (I hope) will help keep the movie franchise from drifting off into obscurity. It's too bad that the box office was so soft (under $100 million) as I think that will keep the studios from making a third film anytime soon. 

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2018 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

The Card Sharks (Street of Chance) 1930 with William Powell and Jean Arthur. Interesting movie about a professional gambler in New York City.

I believe I've seen it before, but it must have been 50 years ago. I have dim memories of discussing the movie with my older brother. My early to middle childhood self couldn't understand the motivations of the brothers and the (gambling) friends. I don't think my brother did either.

A small role for Jean Arthur.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2018 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Eye In The Sky

Very thought provoking, does the need of the many
outweigh the need of the few?

<< Prev Page of 422 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version