Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 425 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 04 July 2018 at 10:53pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Bob Simko wrote:
JUMANJI: WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
We were looking for any kind of comedy after an emotionally draining 24 
hours, and thought we'd give this a shot via ON DEMAND. Enjoyed the hell out 
of it...well cast and fun, and being an avid PS4 gamer, I got a little extra 
enjoyment from it.

John Byrne wrote:
I mentioned further up the thread that JUMANJI: WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE was a pleasant surprise. Not at all what I expected after the mess of the first movie.

Agreed on both counts.  I really hated the first one, but was tasked with finding a movie everyone in the family would enjoy over the holidays.  I settled on this one, albeit with more than a little apprehension.  To say I enjoyed it is an understatement.  I preordered it on iTunes as soon as I returned home!  A ton of fun with just as much heart.  An excellent film all the way 'round.
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 04 July 2018 at 11:58pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

FRUITVALE STATION (2013) - Heartbreaking.  Directed by Ryan Coogler, he of BLACK PANTHER fame, and starring Michael B. Jordan.  Slice of life with a horribly tragic ending. Powerful performances all the way 'round.  Difficult subject matter made relatable by deft direction, an excellent screenplay and a fantastic cast. Recommended.

WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES (2017) - Unique and first-of-its-kind in that it tells the tale through the lens of the apes.  Much of the movie is subtitled and there is only one human who acts as a protagonist in the film and she's a child.  Powerful and affecting, but I suspect if you didn't like the previous films in this reboot you'll probably not like this one.  I, however, enjoyed them and so found this one to be a more than satisfactory conclusion to the tale of Caesar.  Recommended.  

Pete York
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2018 at 10:33pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK (1939) D: John Ford

Ford's 'eastern Western', his first in Technicolor, and boy, is it bee-yoo-tiful (with Cedar City, Utah standing in for the Mohawk Valley). Just Ford's third best movie of 1939, but the other two are STAGECOACH and YOUNG MR LINCOLN so that's, like, some consolation.

THE DEVIL'S DISCIPLE (1959) D: Guy Hamilton

Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas in a faithful adaptation of Bernard Shaw's Revolutionary era play. The actors co-produced and they hadn't ironed out who was going to play which role, but Douglas as the rogue and Lancaster the minister were the right choices. Laurence Olivier as Johnny Burgoyne is also terrific.

THE SCARLET COAT (1955) D: John Sturges

One more set during the Revolution. Cornel Wilde is a spy trying to discover the identity of a traitor (psst, it's Benedict Arnold). Sturges in CinemaScope and filmed along the Hudson in Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow. I guess if there's a problem here, it's that Michael Wilding (as Major André) and Tory George Sanders are so much more charming and interesting than the 'hero', Wilde. Even this eventually pays off with a disarmingly touching ending when André meets his fate, to the chagrin of his captors.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 07 July 2018 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

QUIZ SHOW (1994)

Fairly brilliant evocation of a particular time and place in the history of American television -- which, as always, leaves me with the question What exactly did they do that was wrong?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 07 July 2018 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES (2017) - Unique and first-of-its-kind in that it tells the tale through the lens of the apes. Much of the movie is subtitled and there is only one human who acts as a protagonist in the film and she's a child. Powerful and affecting, but I suspect if you didn't like the previous films in this reboot you'll probably not like this one. I, however, enjoyed them and so found this one to be a more than satisfactory conclusion to the tale of Caesar. Recommended.

••

"Everybody knows" the Big Reveal of the end of the original PLANET OF THE APES, and that's a problem. When attempting sequels and reboots, filmmakers make no attempt at all to hide what is the Big Secret of the first firm.

Okay, into SPOILER text. . .

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
Anyone watching the movie today, with all the changes that have been made to the way we perceive and think about science fiction, would not be at all surprised to "discover" Taylor and his crew have been on Earth all along. But that was a big deal in 1969, and when anyone attempts to revisit the PotA scenario, that should be kept in mind. Only it's not. The filmakers begin on Earth, and everything happens on Earth, and there is no reveal. Instead we get a series of Man Bad/Apes Good lectures, that worked as the reveal of the first film, but become increasingly tedious as the whole crux in the reboots. Not to mention, the reboots completely fail to deliver on the franchise title. Not only do we not get a "Planet of the Apes", we're not left in a postion where that circumstance can arise.

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2018 at 5:14pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I showed the original to my wife last year, and she figured out the "big reveal" around the time they entered the cave. "All the changes" indeed.

And when I asked what she thought, she replied, "It was good, but man there was a lot of talking."  

Edited by Don Zomberg on 07 July 2018 at 5:14pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2018 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Thor: Ragnarok

Funny, yes. Visually interesting, yes. Not a great film though. Chris Hemsworth is actually quite comedically talented, and squeezes all sorts of laughs out of his character and lines. The problem being, of course, that Thor shouldn't be funny. Some character-driven humour is fine, of course, but when it involves Thor being vain in a way that is diametrically opposed to the way he is supposed to be, we have a problem.

For me, perhaps the greatest source of amusement was the wild inconsistency of Tessa Thompson's accent, which veers from Mockney to RP to a kind of Wirral-inflected burr.

The film's story just kind of buzzes along without any great resonance; by the end, I didn't really care. Good soundtrack though!

Edited by Peter Martin on 07 July 2018 at 6:21pm

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 07 July 2018 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

JUSTICE LEAGUE (2017)

How, how could it actually be WORSE than I imagined?

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2018 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

JB, did you actually make it all the way through?

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 07 July 2018 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Ha! Best. Review. Ever.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 07 July 2018 at 7:34pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

JB, did you actually make it all the way through?

•••

I came in late.

(And I got really tired of the picture in my head of ennui engorged fanboys peeing their pants every time a superhero said "shit".)

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2018 at 9:28pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

First, I found myself getting behind on DC TV shows. You know, a DVR full of Gothams and Arrows that seemed more like a chore to work through than entertainment. I'm now getting that way with the DC movies. I've watched about the first 15 minutes of Batman vs Superman, but just couldn't find the appetite to sit through any more. I may never watch any of the Justice League movie.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 July 2018 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (1968)

Sergio Leone continues his explorations of his own entirely fictional version of the American West. Long and some say operatic.

Amusing story: according to Leone he visited a movie theater in France where the film had been playing for two years. The projectionist told him "I want to kill you! Two years of the same film -- and so slow!"

Beautiful to look at, tho.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 July 2018 at 7:50pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

BOWFINGER (1998)

Can it really be 20 years old?

Pretty much brilliant inside-baseball satire of Hollywood.

Which is, admittedly, shooting fish in a barrel.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2018 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Haven't seen it. Need to rectify that.

Two films that came out 20 years ago - blimey! - are this and THE TRUMAN SHOW. I have been meaning to see both for quite a while.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 July 2018 at 7:53am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

THE TRUMAN SHOW would have made a very good half hour episode of TWILIGHT ZONE. As a full length movie on the other hand, "drags" would be a polite description.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2018 at 5:06pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

BOWFINGER is great.  And criminally overlooked.  I think the fact that Eddie Murphy made it during the same period during which he made a few bombs may have kept people from giving it a chance.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 July 2018 at 6:10pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

DR. NO (1962)

Just in the mood.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2018 at 6:14pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I fear BOWFINGER was 10 years too late, at the time.  If a film starring Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy, and directed by Frank Oz, had been made in 1989 instead of 1999, it might have been a bigger (maybe even huge) hit... by the late '90s, sadly, all seemed to have lost their box-office luster.

I'll have to dig this one up again... I recall enjoying very much when it was first released.

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2018 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Last night: Halloween(1978) - Nothing beats the original Carpenter classic.

Tonight: The Devil's Rain - I've had the Special Edition Blu-Ray sitting on my shelf for a few months waiting for me to finish my Marvel Netflx brewing.  Still a weird little movie...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2018 at 5:36am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

"Tonight: The Devil's Rain..."

Robert, if that's the movie from the '70's, one summer whenever we went to the drive-in that trailer played. Scared me pretty good as a youngster, I finally got to watch it about a decade later. Have fun!

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2018 at 7:19am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Back about the time I found a BOWFINGER DVD, I also found one of "CQ"(2001) about making a sci-fi film in France in the late '60s or early '70s (using Barbarella as a model). The case promised fiction would blur with reality; alas, not so much that there possibly was some galactic spy agency out there, more the director character watching takes of his lead actress saying, "I love you," to the camera over and over, that gives one a feeling how affairs can happen all over that industry.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2018 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

SPACEBALLS - 10 year-old me loved this. 45 year-old me questions 10 year-old me's taste. Couldn't even get through it.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2018 at 1:44pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

SIXTEEN CANDLES- After enjoying the special features and what not on the recent Criterion release of THE BREAKFAST CLUB, I was in the mood for this. It was simpler and more overtly comedic than I remembered, but fine for what it was. Long Duk Dong's role would have been far less racist without the musical gong cues, and the comfort level everyone seems to have for date rape is creepy as f*ck, but I still was able to enjoy it for what it was...

HAROLD AND KUMAR GO TO WHITE CASTLE- I'd never seen this before and since I was already in the light-comedy mode, I thought I'd give it a try. I enjoyed the film's variable relationship with reality and was pleasantly surprised to find that a continuing theme throughout the picture was Harold's love of... SIXTEEN CANDLES. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2018 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

HAROLD AND KUMAR GO TO WHITE CASTLE

———

I was really impressed with HAROLD AND KUMAR when I first saw it. For what is ostensibly a silly stoner comedy, it had a lot of insightful social commentary on race. It also renewed my fandom of Neil Patrick Harris.

<< Prev Page of 425 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version