Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 422 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

THE GREAT OUTDOORS (1988)

I'm not sure there's enough 'plot' here to sustain 90 minutes - it's a comedy about two families having a vacation in rural Wisconsin - and I feel it might have worked better as a 10-minute sketch.

But I can't deny it leaves me with a good feeling. It represents an era and style of comedy that I just don't see now.
Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

KRULL (1983)

STAR WARS meets LORD OF THE RINGS... and it's just as derivative as it sounds.  Every once in a while I get a little nostalgic for this one (hey, it was an HBO staple back in the day), and I always come away with the same reaction:  Oooof.

Wonderful production design, a great ensemble of known and soon-to-be-known thespians, neat optical effects for its time, great locales & sets, enjoyably bombastic score from James Horner, an achingly-lovely Lysette Anthony...

...and then they all go and open their mouths, and an incredibly dopey movie comes spilling out.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 1:44pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I pronounce it `Cruel`
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

(Ha!  I'll use that from now on, too, Bill!)

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

BOLT

Again.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT? (1988)

Cutting edge for its time, this did feel special back in 1988. In many ways, it still is (it feels seamless). Entertaining from start to finish, and I loved Christopher Lloyd as Judge Doom. 

Still as fun as it was thirty years ago.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2018 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Alfred Hitchcock's VERTIGO (1958)

Great actors, wonderful score (maybe Bernard Herrmann's best), technically dazzling for its time... yet I found this last viewing really rubbing me the wrong way.  Certainly I'm more sensitive to the current political and social climate, just like anyone else, but the film really strikes me (even given its "obsessive" subject matter) as particularly sexist, misogynist, arrogant, condescending, insulting, rotten, and all-around creepy towards all the main female characters.

I'd be curious to hear how modern-day female film students feel about this one.  Maybe I'm reading too much into it, or maybe it's always been there...?

Edited by Shaun Barry on 07 June 2018 at 9:00pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2018 at 3:34am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

DICK TRACY VS CUEBALL (1946)

Recently released diamond thief Cueball (Dick Wessel) hides out in the basement of a bar owned by an associate - and then begins murdering associates who he thinks are going to double cross him. Dick Tracy (Morgan Conway) investigates, hoping to solve the crime before Cueball can add more victims to his list.

This was very gripping from beginning to end. I'd say it was about 95% plot, 5% action. Which is how I like it. There's a car chase, Cueball's violence, and a final chase/shoot-out between Tracy and Cueball, but for the most part, it's about Tracy investigating the diamond industry and the murders. Everyone in this film had genuine screen presence.

One to watch, folks.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2018 at 5:29am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

THE SHAPE OF WATER. I didn't get it.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 June 2018 at 5:53am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

PLANET OF THE APES (1968)

For the umpteenth time. This time I found myself thinking about building a 3D model of the interior of the spaceship, just for fun. To that end, this morning I did a little googling to see what kind of reference I could find.

Enough, I think... but I also found THIS.

Try a little drinking game. Take a slug every time the writer gets something wrong. You'll be swocked in no time!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2018 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I've got THE SEVENTH SEAL to watch over the weekend via BFI Player. It's made many lists of the "greatest movies of all time".

Such pressure, eh? I'll enjoy it on its own merits, but can it live up to that? One film magazine even called it the greatest film ever made.

Off I go (most likely tomorrow)...

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2018 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Robbie, I wholeheartedly recommend THE SEVENTH SEAL... surprisingly accessible & humorous, but profound and quite moving.  I've loved it from the moment I first saw it.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 08 June 2018 at 3:56pm

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 June 2018 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Surfed into OFFICE CHRISTMAS PARTY (2016) and stayed to the end.

As I've said, I should hate this movie, yet I find it completely entertaining.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 12:27am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Agreed.  I think it's an absolutely fun film.  Didn't think I'd like it, but it's become one of those movies I stay on if I'm surfing and come upon it. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 6:08am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I tried THE SHAPE OF WATER on a plane. KLM don’t edit movies for sex & violence. I turned it off in case any little kids could see my screen so no idea what it was like
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 6:18am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Dipped into AVATAR again. Still don't like that movie. To think this came from the same director who gave us the completely fat-free TERMINATOR.

And I've noted before that this seems to be James Cameron's stealth endorsement of Intelligent Design. ALL the creatures on Pandora have six limbs* -- except the Na'vi. Separate creation?

* Or more.

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Every time you mention this, it reminds me of the James Blish story "And Some Were Savages" and the story he tells behind the story.In 1960 an editor got a painting he thought would make a good cover, if he got a story to go with it. The first thing Blish noticed n seeing it was that the alien "horses" had six limbs while the alien riders had four. Luckily, the second thing he noticed was that the riders were wearing shirts, and he had his plot.There was something about sf TV and movies being 20-30 years behind sf literature?

Edited by Jack Bohn on 09 June 2018 at 9:33am

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Ah, the Old Days when the cover came first! Common in comics of the time, too.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Summer-comedy anniversary double-feature:

ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948)
A fun breeze from beginning to end, with some classic laughs & bits that still hold-up today... fun for the whole family (although I'll never forget when my youngest daughter burst into tears at the end of the film--when we watched it about 5 years ago--when the Frankenstein Monster met yet-another fiery end!).

COMING TO AMERICA (1988)
I kind of shrugged this one off when it was first released (for an '80s Eddie Murphy comedy, I almost found it too nice at the time!), but I enjoy it more & more, with each new viewing.  Sadly, it's the last decent film that John Landis ever directed, as far as I'm concerned.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 8:57pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Surfed into OFFICE CHRISTMAS PARTY (2016) and stayed to the end.

As I've said, I should hate this movie, yet I find it completely entertaining.

I have a hard time disliking anything Jason Bateman is in, though he does have a very similar role he plays in just about everything. It was interesting seeing him going outside that box a bit in Ozark, although he was still pretty affable because the man exudes that. Anyway, I laughed quite a bit in Office Christmas Party. I recently rewatched Extract and had forgotten how funny it is.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

BIGFOOT COUNTY (2012)

*SPOILERS*

A "found footage" film which sees a trio of film-makers heading into the woods (Siskiyou County, California) to find Bigfoot. The usual tropes apply such as noises heard in the woods, shaky camerawork, etc.

The trio are likeable and the film tries to aim for atmosphere, which I commend, but there are problems. Major problems.

I hate the lack of logic in films where noises are heard and, instead of remaining silent as us normal people would, the protagonists scream, shout, make noise with the cameras, switch on lights, etc. It ruins credibility. Trust me, if and when I come across Bigfoot in the woods, I am remaining as incognito as possible.

But, atmosphere-building and all that aside, let me just say that the movie leads to an incredibly lame payoff that had me wondering if there was a script editor's strike that month. If you see it, and it's worth watching for 50+ minutes of atmosphere, you will be as disappointed as I was. Actually, don't bother buying it. I shall be trading this DVD in for a better one, forthwith.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I have a hard time disliking anything Jason Bateman is in, though he does have a very similar role he plays in just about everything. It was interesting seeing him going outside that box a bit in Ozark, although he was still pretty affable because the man exudes that. Anyway, I laughed quite a bit in Office Christmas Party. I recently rewatched Extract and had forgotten how funny it is.

•••

American actors very often create a character they take with them from picture to picture. Consider John Wayne, James Stewart, Henry Fonda, Spencer Tracy.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 9:31pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Summer of '78 nostalgia-rama triple feature:

THE CAT FROM OUTER SPACE
Fond memories of seeing this first-run, back when "space" movies were suddenly all the rage, post-STAR WARS... bought this for my kids on DVD about 10 years ago  Sadly, it's still not a good film, and it's probably on the way out for me--all 3 of my kids have pretty much outgrown this one by now.  Great to see so many familiar faces from TV, though!

GREASE
Another one I caught in the summer of '78 (I was only a few months shy of turning 6)... in retrospect, a surprisingly filthy movie for kids to have seen.  Great songs, lots of fun, though loaded with some questionable antics & messages!  Plus, Olivia Newton-John, my first real silver-screen crush.  Even today:  *heavy sigh*

JAWS 2
Didn't catch this one until it debuted on network TV (3 or 4 years later), but still lots of memories of the overall hype-machine at the time... too young to see this in the theaters, but I had most of the Topps trading cards, which certainly fired my imagination.  All-in-all, no masterpiece, but a decent, competent sequel, just the same.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 3:37am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
American actors very often create a character they take with them from picture to picture. Consider John Wayne, James Stewart, Henry Fonda, Spencer Tracy.

Whilst I am sure there are British actors who do the same, I like how I could watch them playing totally different characters. Peter Cushing's Doctor Who, Dr. Frankenstein and Van Helsing are so different to me. Same with Sir Christopher Lee. One moment I'm totally absorbed in watching them as heroes; next moment, I'm absorbed in watching them as villains.

Edited by Robbie Parry on 11 June 2018 at 3:38am

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 3:39am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I think today marks 25 years since JURASSIC PARK got a nationwide release.

And do you know what? I've never seen the sequels. So I will see if HMV have a copy, and I might get through those films shortly. 

<< Prev Page of 422 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version