Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 430 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 4:40am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Love the full size Falcon in Empire Strikes Back. There's shots on Hoth early on in the film with Chewie atop the Falcon and it creates an incredible sense of verisimilitude (as opposed to a slightly unconvincing matte painting of the falcon used in the background in ROTJ, which I am currently watching. The matte paintings are generally excellent, but there is no doubt that the solid, real thing in ESB gives a far superior shot).
------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------

Yes, this was one of the reasons I always preferred Empire over Jedi. In ROTJ, that shot of Lando turning back to an obvious matte painting of the Falcon always seemed so cheap by comparison to the beautiful Falcon shots in Empire. (I'm actually surprised that that moment wasn't one they tried to 'fix' in the special edition.)

Edited by Jason Scott on 13 January 2018 at 4:40am
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 5:16pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

MISTER ROBERTS (1955)

Strong cast, somewhat episodic story. Powerful ending. Only real downside, despite being expanded for the screen, never quite escapes being a filmed stage play.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

UNDER SIEGE (1992)

A tad dated (perhaps), but still good fun.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yeah, it was the shot of Lando talking to Han in front of the falcon that I was alluding to. It's a shame, because the matte paintings are generally first rate in ROTJ -- the shot of Vader's shuttle approaching the  'waistband' of the Death Star, the hangar in the Death Star and the Ewok village are marvellous.

Anyway, I finished watching Return of the Jedi (1983). Has some quality moments, but also some that are hard to forgive (the Tarzan noise when Chewie swings on to the AT-ST is particularly cringeworthy). This was the 'fixed' version with the creepy-stare Hayden Christensen at the end and stupid celebration scenes on Bespin, Coruscant and Naboo shoe-horned in... Basically the worst version possible. Williams' new tune for the Ewok celebration, composed for the Special Edition, is a nice piece of music with a kind of Peruvian feel -- but it results in Lando clapping and bopping out of time, which is clumsy and I actually think there was nothing wrong with the original score for that scene.

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2018 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The added dance sequence in Jabba's palace is too horrid to watch. One more reason to avoid the sequels.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2018 at 5:49pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE EXTENDED CUT

Worth seeing if you're a huge fan of the film, like myself. Definitely some interesting tidbits.

I guess since I was paying close attention to see new things, I picked up on things that have always been there that I'd not noticed.

Like, this happens:

Lois: "How'd you like your first day on the job?"
Clark: "Frankly the hours were sort of longer than I expected, but on the whole, I mean meeting you and Jimmy and Mr. White - Gosh on the whole I'd say it's been swell."
Lois: "Swell?" (pause) "You know, Clark, there are very few people left in the world who feel comfortable saying that word."
Clark: "What word?"
Lois: "Swell."
Clark: "Really? It always sounded kind of natural."

Not long after, they get nearly mugged in an alley (Lois kicks the guy, he still fires his gun, Clark catches the bullet).

Here's what I hadn't picked up on (after 40 years and dozens of viewings):  When she recovers her purse afterward, Lois mutters, "Swell."

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2018 at 9:25pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Yeah, I agree about the quality of the matte paintings in Jedi. Pity that one was used so poorly.

I can live with the Chewie Tarzan howl, and though I prefer the original ending the special edition one is ok to me. (Even if the logic of the Coruscant scene seems even more lacking now.) Honestly the biggest issue for me with ROTJ was the idea that a bunch of teddy bears can injure storm troopers with wooden sticks and the like. I mean jeez, how useless is stormtrooper armour? Lol!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2018 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

On a plane travelling to Canada, watched KINGSMAN: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE. Every bit as over the top as the first film but was very surprised to see that Egsey and the Princess had remained in a relationship after the first film. I liked that.

Also watched WAR OF THE PLANET OF THE APES on Blu Ray. There are aspects to CGI characters that make them believable or not. Things like weight, heft, gravity and inertia. Translucent skin where light penetrates and bounces around. And eyes. These are amongst the most important. Get these wrong and you get the uncanny valley of a lot of CGI characters.
WAR OF THE PLANET OF THE APES is possibly the best CGI characters I have ever seen in a film. The work they did in that film is incredible. I recommend everyone watches this movie, but without distractions because the plot also requires attention

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2018 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I also watched The Golden Circle on my flight to Canada coming back from Christmas. Air Canada?

Found it disappointing in relation to the original and it's hard to put my finger on why, exactly, beyond it's just that classic problem of a sequel -- it has to give you more of the same, but always feels less fresh.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2018 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Peter - KLM.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2018 at 3:38pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

This can not sustain a thread on its own, so I'll ask it here. 

Having watched FIRST BLOOD again recently, and other films, can I ask, do real-life US cops have the authority to move a drifter on simply because of the way he looks?

Or is it a plot device? Not saying it's a bad plot device (FIRST BLOOD would have been a short movie had Rambo simply moved on). But one sees it in many movies, 'undesirables' being moved on, usually by a county sheriff. Just wondering, is it one of those movie tropes or a legal reality? 

EDIT: No desire to derail a thread so a simple answer from someone who knows would be appreciated, no intent to create "thread drift" and pages about the legal rights of drifters in real life.

Edited by Robbie Parry on 16 January 2018 at 3:39pm

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2018 at 9:21pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Quentin Tarantino's JACKIE BROWN (1997)

For me, easily Tarantino's most mature and confident work.  20 years later, he still hasn't topped it... featuring probably his most notable cast and richest dialogue (helped in some small part, I would imagine, from Elmore Leonard's "Rum Punch," the original source material).

Nowhere near as ostentatious, ugly or downright bonkers as most of his other films... just a damned good, solid movie, from start to finish.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2018 at 1:04am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Saving Private Ryan,not watched it in years,it stands up
well and it really gets the horror and confusion of war
across,using hand held camera and sound design too great
effect.A lot of famous and now famous faces in the cast.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2018 at 4:42am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

DUNKIRK
I found myself paying more attention to the technical aspects - particularly working out the non-linear narrative/time shifting between stories - rather than the emotional connection.
A good film to be sure, but I feel I missed something that many others say they connected with.
Think I will have to give it a second viewing and see what happens.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2018 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Into the Wild (2007). A film that lies somewhere between very good and excellent. It's a long film, but an involving one, regardless of how one ultimately views Christopher McCandless' odyssey. Hal Holbrook is absolutely brilliant in a small supporting role and Emile Hirsch does well with the lead role.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 January 2018 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

BLADERUNNER 2049 showed up OnDemand last night -- and confirmed that I have absolutely no interest in seeing it. Not the slightest curiosity nudging me to push that SELECT button.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2018 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Robbie, about your question regarding FIRST BLOOD: It's a movie trope.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2018 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Shaun, I hear a lot of people say JACKIE BROWN is one of Tarantino's lesser works, but I agree with you. I really like it. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2018 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Robbie, about your question regarding FIRST BLOOD: It's a movie trope.

Thanks, relieved to hear that.

I watched 1959's THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES last night. It's still my favourite Sherlock Holmes film.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2018 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

do real-life US cops have the authority to move a drifter on simply because of the way he looks?
---------------------------
I think it's not as simple as Matt's answer, if we consider it as a question of 'did' rather than 'do'. Did the police have these powers in living memory? Without any question.

"For most of American history, the police enjoyed free rein to enforce or not enforce vague vagrancy laws, which protected health, safety and morals. From the late 1880s until the 1950s, more than half the arrests in America's large cities were for drunkenness, disorderly conduct, vagrancy and suspicious conduct." -- from a Washington Post article from April 2000.

The breadth of the vagrancy/loitering laws came under scrutiny in the 60s from the Supreme Court, mainly because they were being enforced selectively. As I understand it, the last of these old school public disorder type laws got shut down in the 1970s. Not sure if that was before or after the novel was written.

Also remember, in First Blood the real cataylst for events is when Sheriff Teasle sees Rambo coming back into town, decides to frisk him and finds him with a combat knife.

There is a thing called a 'Terry Stop' in which a policeman can stop and frisk someone as long as they have a reasonable suspicion they are involved in a criminal activity (this is smaller burden than probable cause, but requires specific fact beyond just a hunch). So Rambo might have some grievance there. However, carrying a concealed combat knife in Washington State is a crime, hence the arrest. And then Rambo resists arrest and so on.

Edited by Peter Martin on 17 January 2018 at 1:43pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2018 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Thanks, Peter, although Teasle arrests Rambo prior to searching and finding a knife. Rambo ignores Teasle, carries on walking, Teasle grabs Rambo's arm - and then Rambo movies it away. Teasle then tells him he is under arrest. After the arrest, he gets Rambo to "spread 'em", then conducts the search and finds a knife.

It's a very nuanced film in many respects. I am sorry that Hollywood turned Rambo into "generic action hero" and gave us three sequels that, whilst entertaining in a certain way, didn't need to be made. Much like films such as ROBOCOP, THE TERMINATOR and others could have done fine without sequels. 

Edited by Robbie Parry on 17 January 2018 at 2:26pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2018 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

You're right, he does arrest him before the search and Washington has no stop and identify law. That Teasle was no good... Crack out the M-60!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2018 at 5:14pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Well, I wouldn't advocate that.

Although Teasle's actions started the chain of events, its his deputies that sent Rambo over the edge with the physical abuse (hitting him from behind with a truncheon, telling him he'd be getting a dry rather than wet shave, etc).

I just wish it had been allowed to remain as an entity without spawning three sequels and a cartoon series. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2018 at 5:17pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Peter Martin wrote:
...I think it's not as simple as Matt's answer, if we consider it as a question of 'did' rather than 'do'...

True, but I kept my answer simple for a reason:

Robbie Parry wrote:
... No desire to derail a thread so a simple answer from someone who knows would be appreciated, no intent to create "thread drift" and pages about the legal rights of drifters in real life....

Naturally, I gave a generalized answer. That was what was requested by Robbie. If I had known Robbie actually desired a more detailed response I would have given one, but I was following his instruction.

As a rule, what is seen in FIRST BLOOD is more movie trope than reality. It's the whole stereotypical view of a small city police force "not taking kindly to strangers 'round these here parts." It's meant to illustrate the bigotry and xenophobia and backwardness of those small town folk. While there are examples of such things in reality, it however is more along the lines of a trope such as having a hillbilly running a gas station reading a comic is used as shorthand that he is a moron.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 17 January 2018 at 5:21pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2018 at 5:55pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Oh. Matt, your answer was FINE, trust me. And as instructed, all good. I just was balancing it between not derailing the thread and wanting information. Peter's answer, as with yours, was appreciated. :)

<< Prev Page of 430 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version