Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 395 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

30 DAYS OF NIGHT (2007)

I've long heard semi-decent things about this one, but only now got a chance to see it... kind of a huge disappointment.

On paper, a horror amalgam of John Carpenter's THE THING, SALEM'S LOT, NEAR DARK, and an inverse INSOMNIA could have been a slam-dunk, but I found this to be really dopey, cheesy and decidedly un-scary.  And in the end, just too stupid to take seriously.

And ironically enough, the film is surprisingly much too well-lit throughout!

Edited by Shaun Barry on 20 November 2017 at 1:59pm
Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Michael Penn:
"BOOGIE NIGHTS has maybe the best use of popular music contemporary with the film's timeline outside of a Scorsese movie."

Loved your cameo in the film, as well, Michael!

;)

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 21 November 2017 at 5:52pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

VALARIAN AND THE CITY OF A THOUSAND PLANETS(2017)

Not at all familiar with source material, so cannot speak to fidelity, or how much of the movie comes from the comic.

Sure is a lot here, tho. Too much, even, when the leads have about as much chemistry as a cat and a bucket of tar. Yawn.

Designs and effects are impressive, but MAN am I glad I didn't see it in 3D!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2017 at 9:59pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Marvel Studios' DOCTOR STRANGE (2016) - with commentary

While not one of my favorite MCU entries, its stock goes up a tad for me based on the commentary track from director Scott Derrickson... quietly confident but unpretentious, straightforward, and doesn't shy away from the controversy of the Ancient One's casting.  Surprisingly thoughtful and intelligent, from a director I never really followed in the past.

The movie itself is okay... it can be fun in spots, the score is wonderful, and the visual effects are appropriately mind-bending.  However, Benedict Cumberbatch just doesn't cut it for me as Stephen Strange, and most of the broad humor is completely out-of-place for this character and world.

And Dormammu is a total drag.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2017 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

ASYLUM (1972)

An anthology horror film (four tales), ASYLUM, produced by Amicus, has lost none its power years later.

The first tale, "Frozen Fear", is best not viewed if you live alone (as I do), featuring a man who dismembers his wife and wraps the body parts in parcels. You can guess what happens next.

"The Weird Tailor" is about a suit with supernatural properties. Pretty good stuff.

"Lucy Comes To Stay" is the weakest of the four (in my view) as we see a woman who slowly loses her sanity.

The fourth tale is also very good, "Mannekins of Horror" about a man who has built tiny robots with human heads. Creepy.

Linking them all is a psychiatrist (played by Robert Powell) interview patients as part of his application to work at the asylum. The four stories above come from various patients.

Definitely worth checking out. If "Frozen Fear" does not scare you, you are braver than I am.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2017 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I remember Trilogy Of Terror,but the only tale i
remember is the Karen Black starring tale of a small
African statue/effigy that comes to life and tries to
kill her...scared the crap out of me as a kid!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2017 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

"..scared the crap out of me as a kid!"

...and still does me. CREEPY!

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2017 at 1:31am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I really need to see it as an adult!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 25 November 2017 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

...and still does me.

ēē

Same!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2017 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

This past Thanksgiving Day marathon included:

THE SANTA CLAUSE (1994)
Not one of my holiday favorites by a long shot, but my kids love it and need to watch it every year.  

TROLLS (2016)
My favorite kids' film from last year... a bit slight, but great songs, fun voicework and wonderful CGI animation!

THE WHOLE NINE YARDS (2000)
After the kids went to sleep... first time viewing, and enjoyed most of it.  Sometimes too convoluted, and maybe too many deaths for a comedy, but the cast is great.  Matthew Perry and Bruce Willis make a surprisingly solid comic team.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2017 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE (1974)

Another anthology film from Amicus, the "link" is a shop owner played by Peter Cushing. 

First segment sees Edward Charlton (David Warner) buy a mirror. He conducts a sťance with friends, but something nasty comes through the mirror.

Second segment sees a man buying a military medal in order to convince his wife he is a military hero. Like the mirror, the military medal isn't what it seems...

Third segment sees someone buy a snuff box. You can probably guess that, like the mirror and medal, something nasty is afoot...

And then the fourth segment sees William Seaton (Ian Ogilvy) buy a door. Do I need to explain what happens next?

Each of the four customers are dishonest or lacking moral fibre in their lives. Think of Cushing's character as being some sort of "figure of vengeance".

Well worth a watch. Amicus were an underrated studio. Pretty atmospheric throughout, particularly the mirror episode. 

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2017 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

PLANES, TRAINS & AUTOMOBILES.

One of my go-to comedies. Still enormous fun. And damn, I miss John Candy.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2017 at 9:55pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

The meltdown that Steve Martin has at the rental car counter is priceless.

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2017 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

"The Mummy"-2017
The classic Universal monsters are some of my all-time favorites & I was intrigued by the "shared universe" concept that Universal wanted to do with their more well known monsters. I didn't get to see this in the theater & the mixed reviews it got made me a little leery of watching it. It's definitely a different direction they took the character than previous versions but not totally unrecognizable.There's a scene that shows an arm from the Creature From the Black Lagoon and a vampire skull fairly prominently and Russell Crowe plays Dr. Henry Jekyll as the head of the organization that deals with the monster aspect, so they really want to bring home the "shared universe" concept. The mummy herself wasn't bad and at times did have some creepy moments but I did feel they underplayed her at times. I guess having Tom Cruise in the movie was to bring some star power to it, but I'm not entirely sold on him fitting in to this genre. All in all, I think it's worth a watch but I hope that if Universal continues it's Dark Universe, they do better.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2017 at 11:10pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Coincidentally i streamed The Mummy free last night
taking advantage of an offer from Walker`s crisps,it was
ok,decent effects,but Tom Cruise just wasn`t right,he
had no chemistry with his leading lady,and the tone was
all over the place with forced humour and horror sitting
uneasily.I really wanted to see a Universal Monsters
shared universe succeed,but it looks like it
won`t.Ignoring the Dracula film with Luke Evans was a
mistake too.

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2017 at 12:19am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I want to see the Universal Monsters
shared Universe succeed too. They shoukd
get the guy that created and ran the Penny
Dreadful TV show to oversee it.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2017 at 5:20am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Good idea Marc,or maybe Guillermo Del Toro?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 10:06pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

NOTHING BUT TROUBLE (1991).

Since this has recently been airing on HBO, I decided to grab a can of warm Hawaiian Punch, steam a few prime hot dogs, and take a trip down memory lane.

I first saw this notorious flop--the first and only directing credit for Dan Akyroyd--on a familiy vacation around 1991-92, when was one of the choices for video rental at the hotel we were staying at. It made an impression on my young mind, and, even then, we all knew it was terrible. I've since caught bits and pieces of it on TV, from time to time, and today decided to sit down and rewatch the whole thing.

It's a fascinating failure. Unfunny, grotesque, yet incredibly memorable. From the Brazillionaires to the Bonestripper to John Candy in drag to the mutant diaper-baby-twins to Judge Alvin Valkenheiser and his prosthetic nose made from a glans (which only explicitly appears as such in two close-up shots--Akyroyd's prosthetics are less X-rated for the rest of the film).

This movie is totally insane, and also unforgettable. It's pretty obvious that Akyroyd is a brilliant idea-man, but needs others to focus those ideas (and to say say "no"). His early drafts for films like THE BLUES BROTHERS and GHOSTBUSTERS are said to be filled-to-bursting with wild ideas, and NOTHING BUT TROUBLE is a parade of those sorts of ideas, but without any cohesive, real-world logic to ground the madness. The movie descends into nightmare territory gradually, and reaches cartoonish levels (literally, in the case of the bizarre image of Chevy Chase leaving a Chase-shaped hole in the wall he's just run through, Warner Bros.-style).

Yet, despite all of the weirdness and awfulness...it hits a nerve, somehow. Perhaps it taps into an underlying, middle/upper-class fear of getting stuck in backwoods, trashy, racist, sexist, ultra-harsh-punishment territory. The fear of backsliding and getting stuck in the Old World, the world where the good 'ol boys can act capriciously with impunity against unknowing trespassers...and bankers. It feels strangely fresh and relevant, in these troubled times.

Oh, and Digital Underground randomly appears to perform a musical number, with Tupac making his feature-film debut. Huh.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2017 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I had no idea Akroyd directed that. Itís not one of his best, but Iíve always enjoyed it. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2017 at 8:11pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Greg, did you see that the guys at Red Letter Media did a "Re: View" segment on the film?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2017 at 12:15am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Yep. I'd previously seen that the film was running on HBO, but the Re:View segment convinced me to give it another look.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2017 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

THE BEAST MUST DIE (1974)

Produced by Amicus and British Lion Films, this movie sees a landowner invite some people to his estate, informing them that one of them is a werewolf who must be killed. There are numerous suspects.

The film is certainly unique. It uses a German Shepherd in the "role" of the werewolf; and towards the end, the film stops and there is a countdown clock as the narrator invites the viewer to guess who the werewolf is. I've not seen a film quite like this.

It's good fun, really. May be an acquired taste, though.

Edited by Robbie Parry on 01 December 2017 at 11:51am

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2017 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

TORTURE GARDEN (1967)
Another of the Amicus portmanteau films, looking very good on blu-ray.

Passing thought: considering how many people have borrowed the name/title TORTURE GARDEN, it's a bit surprising that no one ever seems to have filmed Octave Mirbeau's original novel...

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 03 December 2017 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1935)

Very nearly a masterpiece, tho different from the original in almost every way. Shown last night on TCM's THE ESSENTIALS, hosted by my Close Personal Friends Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey. (Hey! I met both of them! That counts!!)

This is one of those movies where we start to see Hollywood becoming HOLLYWOOD, with sumptuous production design and extraordinary special effects. I also learned last night that the Creature (called "Frankenstein" in the anachronistic prolog) looks better fed this time around because Boris Karloff kept his teeth in, to better facilitate his character's speaking.

Also, 17 year old Valerie Hobson........

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2017 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN holds pride of place in my collection.

Yes, it is different from the original in almost every way. As a spectacle, it still impresses me decades after I first saw it. I like the dialogue, little moments, etc. 

I don't think the FRANKENSTEIN franchise worked as well after BRIDE. SON was pretty good, GHOST was a little underwhelming, and FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLFMAN was anti-climatic (I hope I haven't missed any sequels). 

In my humble opinion, the franchise peaked with BRIDE. 

Incidentally, Mr Byrne, and I am embarrassed to admit this, I had a dream about you once (you were recording a podcast about Dracula and Frankenstein books/films!). 

<< Prev Page of 395 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version