Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 393
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

FRANKENSTEIN (1994)

No-one in my social circle likes this - and the critics weren't kind.

But I enjoyed it. I think it's visually appealing. It's perhaps a tad over-ambitious, but even its flawed moments are solid. And I like the performances, I really felt for De Niro's Monster when he delivered that line about his creator not having considered the consequences of his action.
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Must...not...put...Greg...on...ignore....
++++++++

It is what it is. Sometimes, I just gotta turn my brain off and take pleasure in things which are absurd and stupid. I was just listening to the Flop House Podcast's episode on the movie, and they sum it up very well: It's literally the capstone to 1980s action films (since it's tied as the last film to be released in the 1980s)--all of the worst macho-action film excesses put together into one film, but prior to the invention of self-aware irony in those types of films.

Virtually every line of dialogue is a quip or a bad pun. Nothing makes any sense whatsoever, in terms of police procedure, the legal system, or common sense. It is quite possibly the apex of gloriously stupid 80s action films. "Bad cop, worse cop", boot guns, an armored battle van flying through explosions and being chased by Bigfoot (the vehicle, not the creature), Clint Howard being assaulted with a Slinky, and Kurt Russell in drag. 

What more could anyone ask?

It's even got a knockoff of BEVERLY HILLS COP's "Axel F."(by the same composer), which I...can't...get out...of my head.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 13 November 2017 at 11:36am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"You wanna stare death in the face you should have gotten married."

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Best line in the movie, delivered as only Stallone can:

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I can go the rest of my life without hearing Stallone do an English accent. 

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

DANNY COLLINS (2015)

Powerhouse performances bouy -- but do not entirely save -- a pretty standard soap opera about a rock star seeking "redemption".

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

David Lean's THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI (1957)

Surprisingly, I found this one starting to lose its luster with me... mostly due to its unnecessarily long running time, some intrusive & bombastic music cues, and/or William Holden's acting style not quite meshing well with the rest of the (mostly British) cast...

However, still lots to admire and enjoy.  One of the must-sees from the '50s.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2017 at 6:25am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

My wife and I happened to watch DANNY COLLINS last night too, purely by accident. I hadn't even known the film existed. Pacino, about 75 years old when the movie was made, still has vitality, still has considerable screen presence. The acting was indeed topnotch and allowed us to enjoy what otherwise would've been a middling comedic-melodrama.

Tangent: When watching a movie you, of course, can't separate your life's experience from the viewing. So, something in that regard gave me pause about DANNY COLLINS, in particular, when the film showed college-age youngsters having jaw-dropping reactions to seeing the figure of "Danny Collins" in the flesh, well, this gave me a tiny bit of pause. My two older kids are 24 and 23 and I honestly don't know if they would recognize even Paul McCartney upon sight and, if they did, whether they would do more than shrug. From what I've seen of their peers as these two grew up, even The Beatles didn't mean much to most of them. To some, surely, but not to most. 

Anyway, here's the real story upon which the film was based...

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 14 November 2017 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

David Lean's THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI (1957)

Surprisingly, I found this one starting to lose its luster with me...

This is another one I lost after reading the true story. The movie version is so sanitized, the prisoners seem almost to be at a holiday camp compared to their real life counterparts.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2017 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Blacula (1972).

Kind of a bold, original ending but the rest of the film isn't much cop. William Marshall has presence and dignity, but the film looks like it was made for TV and has almost no scares (the only really creepy bit is when the cops encounter a nest of vampires in a warehouse).

Edited by Peter Martin on 14 November 2017 at 10:46am

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 14 November 2017 at 7:17pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

ATOMIC BLONDE (2017)

Lasted about ten minutes.

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2017 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Saw ATOMIC BLONDE in the theater a while back. Don't remember a damn thing about it.

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2017 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

"47 Meters Down"-2017
2 girls who go on a shark cage tour & end up falling in said cage 47 meters to the ocean floor with numerous Great White sharks between them and the boat and running out of air sounded pretty good. There are some tense moments once the main plot gets going and there's a bit of a twist at the end that you're like "WTF!?" but the actual end felt cut off and when the credits rolled, I felt like there should've been at least 5 more minutes or so of follow-up.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2017 at 10:04pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Ang Lee's THE ICE STORM (1997)

A personal '90s favorite of mine.  Not an easy watch for most of the time, but hits me on a number of personal levels.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2017 at 3:57am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Being a Teri Hatcher fan, I long ago bought a copy of TANGO & CASH, and never got around to actually watching the damn thing. I thought I could give it a go after picking up on its generally spoofy vibe from this thread, but man, it's not a knowing or self-aware 80's violence-film contraption. It's just more of the same, only less. Gotta give it up for the screen charisma of the leads, but overall that thing was really hard to watch. Yuck.

One the other hand, Teri Hatcher was extremely charming and watchable. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2017 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

After reading up on the film's extremely troubled production history, it's not really a surprise that the result is a total mess. There were major arguments over tone, a change in cinematographer during filming (Stallone had the first DP fired), several changes in director during filming, and Stuart Baird was brought in to try and salvage/re-edit the whole thing, late in the game.

It's sort of a fascinating time capsule of the worst 80s action excesses, all without a trace of self-awareness regarding its own stupidity. Yet, I find it campily entertaining!

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 16 November 2017 at 11:24am

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 3:12am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Allen Summerall wrote:
"47 Meters Down"-2017
2 girls who go on a shark cage tour & end up falling in said cage 47 meters to the ocean floor with numerous Great White sharks between them and the boat and running out of air sounded pretty good.

Hated this movie.  Such a ripoff of THE SHALLOWS, a much better film.  It tried to tell the story with the same pace and temperament, but it fell flat at every single telegraphed moment.  There was nothing unique or surprising with this film other than how utterly awful and derivative it is.  I can't recommend it less if I tried.  

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2017 at 5:11pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I won't watch it because I hate metric measurements. Imperial only or me. Always. ;-)

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2017 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Audrey Rose (1977).

Robert Wise directed a hatful of truly great films and there's not many directors you can say that of; unfortunately this film does not count as one of those. In fact, half the film (the second half) is pretty poor.

The first half is fairly decent though, kind of creepy and atmospheric. I caught some of it as a child (the effective part with Hopkins and the family in the apartment), it creeped me out and I'd always wanted to see the rest of the film -- sadly it all goes downhill as soon as the story shifts to a courtroom and the ending is both crap and underwhelming.

Wise's next film was Star Trek: the Motion Picture and then he started to wind down his directing career.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2017 at 7:38am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

BEN-HUR (1925)

A really need to put my phone in another room when watching movies.
While checking out the full cast I noticed there are a boat load of silent and future movie stars listed as extras.
I spent half the movie distracted looking for Gable and Cooper in the background.
No distractions during the chariot race though. Not sure if I even blinked.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 19 November 2017 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I won't watch it because I hate metric measurements. Imperial only or me. Always. ;-)

It did strike me as strange that it was not released "over here" with an Americanized title.

(But, then, I decided a few months back to switch to metric solely in STNV.)

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2017 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I haven't seen "The Shallows" yet, Matt. I'll put it in my Netflix queue though.   

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 393
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version