Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 395 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 11 October 2017 at 5:30am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

But I do agree with JB. They certainly are sadistic killer robots, but I also agree that the sadism comes from their inability to deal with the emerging emotions they are experiencing.

•••

You're writing the movie. I recall nothing that suggests this.

Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2017 at 6:42am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Clearly the Nexus 6 is a flawed model - that they are banned from earth due to their actions shows this.
But, I think Bryant and especially Tyrell do seem to imply the flaw relates to emotional incapacity, fuelled by the knowledge of a short life span (that they may very well not know the start date of - Roy needs to ask about when his inception date was).

So, they have an impending sense of death but no knowledge of when they will just, stop.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 11 October 2017 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

As much as we might struggle to make it something more, BLADE RUNNER is yet another example of what Asimov called the "Frankenstein Syndrome". The fear that our creations are going to destroy us.

Argue as we might that the replicants are not "robots", the story nevertheless has its roots in every evil robot story that preceded it, all the way back to K. Čapek's play R.U.R. ‘Rossum's Universal Robots’ (1920).*

* The play that gave us the word, from the Czech "robota", forced labor.

Significantly, an online synopsis of R.U.R. has this to say at one point:

"Other problems ensue: The robots have decided that they're sick and tired of being ordered about, and so decide to kill all humans on earth. You'd think maybe there could be some middle ground between slavery and murdering everyone on the planet, but this isn't a middle-ground kind of play."

Sound familiar?

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2017 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

`So, they have an impending sense of death but no
knowledge of when they will just, stop`

How very...human!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2017 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I actually thought that as I wrote it Bill. Thing is, we get an appreciation of that impending sense of death only once our mind and emotions have matured (on the whole).

Children do not have an impending sense of death - which is why they do the most crazy things

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2017 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

True James! In the words of Neil Peart `We`re only
immortal for a limited time`

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

THE COLLECTOR (2009)

I really don't know where modern serial killers find the time, money and resources to set up traps. Or how they do it without being noticed...

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

TOTAL RECALL (1990)

As entertaining as ever. Been a few years since I've seen it in full, didn't recall (ha) the gore content being so high. I'm probably just getting more sensitive in my old age.

This film needs to be practical effects 101 for any F/X academy. A standard for its time for sure.

Sharon Stone truly did a solid acting job in an early role.
So again I ask myself, was it all just a dream?

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

IN THE HEART OF THE SEA (2015) 

Starring Chris Hemsworth, Benjamin Walker, Cillian Murphy, Ben Whishaw, Brendan Gleeson, Charlotte Riley, Michelle Fairley, and Tom Holland.

Directed by Ron Howard, who has cooled off a bit in terms of his bankability after his heydays in the 80's and 90's. I still enjoy his work, but it seems like for the last few years that he has mostly been helming movies in The Da Vinci Code franchise.

This film was a flop at the box office, earning only $94 million worldwide against a budget of over $100M. But I think that the movie got lost at the cinemas among all of the expectations and hype for Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which was released just a week afterward.

I enjoyed it for what it was. It certainly wasn't an epic but it kept my attention. And I thought the whaling and whale battle scenes were well shot. I don't know exactly how much of the screenplay was altered from the true story of the Essex and its crew but I thought it was a solid effort to bring the tale to the big screen.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

James Wan's THE CONJURING (2013)

So derivative, so preposterous... but so damned scary!

Unless some other film surprises me in the next 2 years, this one will continue to get my vote as the Horror Movie of the Decade.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 12 October 2017 at 8:01pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2017 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

THE GORGON (1964)

Pretty tame by modern standards, but I saw this for the first time when I was about 9 (and it was scary then).

Hasn't aged well, but still effective in many ways. This was my first experience of seeing Peter Cushing as a bad guy and Christopher Lee as a good guy.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2017 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

HAYWIRE (2011)

MMA fighter Gina Carano leads this surprisingly subtle and interestingly paced espionage thriller from Steven Soderbergh that at once seems very up-to-date and yet stylish in the manner of the 1960's classics of this genre. 

Carano is serenely confident and drop-dead beautiful, reminiscent of a taller, more physically substantial Rachel Leigh Cook, and effective every moment she's onscreen as a professional operative in the employ of a private contractor, and not just during the action sequences, although those do carry a surprising level of power in their level of restraint and real-world brutality. I'd rather watch Carano's rooftop running and parkour than any number of skyscrapers blowing themselves to smithereens while stylish CGI sports cars leap from one to the other.

Other actors include Michael Fassbender, Channing Tatum, Ewan McGregor, & Michael Douglas. Carano was one of the villains in the Deadpool movie, and what's she's done there and here strongly suggest that she really should have an action franchise of her own or at least a lot more roles.

Final note: The bit near the end with McGregor... Was that done with Revenge of the Sith in mind or is it just a lucky coincidence somehow...?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2017 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

BULL DURHAM (1988)

A favorite film that I revisit time and time again. Funny, foul-mouthed, and dirty-minded, it is nonetheless poetic and sad at the same time. There isn't a wasted moment onscreen and the whole thing just sings with a special sort of energy. I love those characters and the performances that enliven them. But as in all things, if it's not on the page... Ron Shelton's script is a brilliant diamond-in-the-rough approach to people who are either too smart or too stone-stupid to be caught up in the lives they're leading, but also aren't particularly looking for a way out. Not yet.

Susan Sarandon's Annie Savoy: "I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. Well, when I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance. But it didn't work out. The Lord laid too much guilt on me... I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball."

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 6:23am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

TOM AND JERRY AND THE WIZARD OF OZ (2011)

A reasonably entertaining 60-minute film which sees Tom and Jerry living in Kansas with Dorothy/Toto. You know what happens next. It's a great adaptation of THE WIZARD OF OZ, but with Tom and Jerry assisting Dorothy, Toto, Tinman, Scarecrow and Lion against the Wicked Witch.

Good fun! 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

John Carpenter's THE FOG (1980)

Watched this old favorite with my 7-year old son... before any howls of protest of this being a rated-R film:  Yes, this was an R way back in 1980, but it would barely even pass as PG-13 today (any language or gore is extremely minimal, and no nudity)... there's much more intense stuff in your average MARVEL or HARRY POTTER film these days.

Anyway, he enjoyed seeing a legitimately creepy film for Halloween-time, and it's one of my all-time horror favorites (probably Top 10, at least).  It's ultimately slight stuff, but so effective!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 11:30pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Sorry Shaun, but language and gore are not the only things that make a film an R or 15 (UK). Your comment totally ignores the psychology of a film.
Yeah, I’ll be one of the howlers who asks ‘you showed the Fog to your seven year old? What were you thinking?’

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 12:05am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

THE LEGO BATMAN MOVIE (2016)

I didn't love it, but there were definitely moments when I thought I did.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

LOL, no problem, James... I won't bore anyone with another thread topic on this subject, or a life-history of movie-viewing, but it all came down to making an informed decision, based on a matter of degree...

Certainly I don't mean to imply that every rated-R film from the '70s or '80s is the equivalent of a PG-13 today... my son asks & wonders about THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE, HALLOWEEN or THE SHINING?  Will I show him those?  No way.

THE HAUNTING (1963) and NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968) are both black & white and weren't even rated in the 1960's.  Will I let him watch those this year?  Nope.

Different things scare different people (or kids) at different ages and at different levels.  We took the family to see HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA 2 is the theaters two years ago (when he was only 5)... and the climactic battle, featuring hundreds of red-eyed, sinister looking bat creatures, gave him nightmares for weeks... so much so, that we wouldn't even let him watch anymore Halloween shows (even kids' stuff) for the rest of the year.

A year later, he pulled a 180 and was kind of obsessed (with at least talking & wondering about) all the horror movies in my collection, last Halloween.  Not wanting a repeat of the year before, but wanting to test the waters a bit more, I let him watch some of the old black & white Universal Monster films, which he enjoyed very much.  When you speak of the "psychology" of the horror film, James, may I suggest you watch THE FOG and THE WOLF MAN (1941) back-to-back... which one is the more psychologically intense of the two?  Personally, I think it's the latter... which my son was fascinated with last year.

Again, it's about what I think is generally appropriate at Halloween-time, measured against other stuff out there that I know he's already been exposed to.  I took him to see CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR last year, and that's a fairly grim film, if you think about it... and my son seemed visually upset and depressed at the deaths of Tony Stark's parents, and the big fight between the good guys, Cap and Iron Man.  This was movie that, on paper, should have been for kids, too, but it's the one Marvel film that upset him the most.  And it terms of language and inappropriate humor, I thought GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, VOL. 2 was kind of awful for the kid audience.

Watching some spooky stuff, at least around Halloween, is okay... just as long as you think some movies through beforehand.  THE FOG was straightforward and simple, just telling a great old-fashioned ghost story, with maybe only two or three swear words, no nudity, barely any blood or gore, and featuring mostly implied violence (yes, someone got a hook in the neck at one point, but the shot was quick, again with no blood).

Will I show my son every horror movie in my collection?  Heck no.  But it was a fun, spooky time for the both of us, and he slept through the night with no problems... as opposed to two years ago, when he was up every night for about 3 weeks straight.  Again, after HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA 2!

And I asked him this morning, before typing this response, "What'd you think of THE FOG last night?"

He simply smiled & shrugged, and said, "It was creepy!"  I think he'll be okay!

:)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 4:32pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

THE PHANTOM (1996)

One-word review: ennui.

More detailed review: unlikely to leave a lasting impression. A few good moments, but I definitely feel unfulfilled after watching it. 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I watched slasher and scary movies when I was six and seven.  I was the youngest kid on the block and wanted to do what the big kids were doing.  Sure, I was scared of the dark for years.  I survived.  

Matthew Chartrand
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 4:04pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

My parents took me to see ALIEN when I was 11 and THE THING when I was 13. I don't think I'm too messed up. :)

Edited by Matthew Chartrand on 16 October 2017 at 4:06pm

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I saw Alien and the Thing long before I was 18. But there is a big gap between 7 and 11. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 9:17pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I also try to gauge what I saw at a young age, and add a few years to whatever age my kids are now... my father let me watch THE SHINING on HBO when I was only 9!  And I would watch POLTERGEIST and/or THE THING (1982) on cable every time they were on, when I was about 11 (back when my mother would work nights).  So yeah, I'm waiting until my kids are well into their teens before I even begin to think about showing them those particular films!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 10:07pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Tobe Hooper's THE FUNHOUSE (1981)

In honor of the director's recent passing, I tried to give this one another shot (for what seems like the umpteenth time)...

Try as I might, I've never been able to sit through this one from beginning to end... lacks the verisimilitude of TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE, and lacks the smarts and solid storytelling structure of the 1979 SALEM'S LOT made-for-TV movie.

Mired by a set-up that takes forever to get going, unlikable leads and some distractingly silly villains (sometimes resorting to some awkward humor).  Barely held my interest up to the halfway mark, and even then, once the major proceedings were underway, I just didn't care anymore.

The film looks great, with lots of vibrant, lurid color, and some interestingly composed shots (and I did think the various scenes of Kevin Conway as the 3 different carnival barkers were nicely done), but I've just never been able to get into the film as a whole.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 11:05pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

BABY DRIVER

This movie is half classic heist picture, half two hour music video for great music of decades past.  Most fun I've had watching in quite some time.  Also has a star-studded cast surrounding the leads.  Great stuff.  This one is gonna be watched many more times by me. 

<< Prev Page of 395 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version