Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 393 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2017 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Interesting trivia, thanks. 

I actually could not finish Cameron's version. I know lots have told me it was the best thing since sliced bread, but much like Peter Jackson's KING KONG, its popularity baffles me (each to their own, of course). I realize not having seen all of Cameron's movie, that's a tad unfair for me to say, but I just couldn't get into it. I probably gave it 70 minutes. 
Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2017 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Look, I'll admit that I bought into the TITANIC hype back in 1997... hell, I was only 25 at the time and instantly started crushing big time on Kate Winslet (much to the annoyance of my then-girlfriend), and I was taken with the big-screen spectacle... but it certainly has not held up to repeat viewings.

A NIGHT TO REMEMBER is the only RMS Titanic film that anyone needs in their collections.  I'm hoping to pick-up the Criterion edition sometime soon.  Robbie, I believe you'll enjoy the film immensely.  Much more powerful and simple, compared to the Cameron nonsense.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 30 August 2017 at 5:37pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2017 at 6:16pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I watched Gilda (1946).

There's very clearly something magnetic about Rita Hayworth in this role and she is very watchable, especially in the dance numbers. The story isn't that dynamic though and part of the problem is that Glenn Ford's character is just not likeable enough (though it's interesting to see Pa Kent as a young man).

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2017 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I think T2 was the last Cameron movie I really enjoyed.

TITANIC and AVATAR, I've seen once each. I didn't think either were bad films, by any stretch. But, I don't understand how they became such monster box office hits.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 31 August 2017 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

There is an important and significant bit of mythology that clings to the Titanic. People are still shocked and horrified at the "arrogance" that caused the ship to be equipped with too few lifeboats. How could they??

The answer is surprisingly simple. We have grown used to a North Atlantic that is very sparse when it comes to big ships. Passenger travel has been almost entirely taken up by airlines, and with it much of the cargo shipping, too. But at the time of the sinking, the North Atlantic was a very busy place. No ship -- and this may seem hard to believe -- could be expected ever to be out of direct line of sight with one or more other ships. (Remember, Titanic was in line of sight of at least one, and possibly two.) Even as late as the 1950s, when I crossed three times by liner, I was taken up on deck several times by my mother to see other ships passing at a safe distance.

And lifeboats were not intended to be used for anything more than transporting passengers from a damaged ship to one of those others (which would presumably have moved closer). Even the idea of a ship SINKING was virtually unheard of. The scenario was imagined to include a crippled ship from which the passengers and crew could be removed in a fairly leisurely fashion, and the ship then towed to the nearest harbor.

That the Titanic actually SANK was a thunderbolt to the thinking of the time. People were forced to accept that such a thing could happen, even if it was extremely unlikely, and adjustments were made based on what was learned from the disaster.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2017 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Fascinating insight, Mr Byrne. Not something I would have thought or considered!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 31 August 2017 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

RULES DON'T APPLY (2016)

Warren Beatty's biopic about Howard Hughes. Like much about Hughes, tough to know what's real. Entertaining enough.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2017 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY (1935)

I'll watch this one every couple of years or so.
Very enjoyable, Laughton is excellent, he makes you really love to hate him.
The non mustachioed Gable does a fine job, as does Franchot Tone. All three nominated for best actor.

trivia, I noticed who I thought was Jimmy Cagney in the background of a couple of scenes. So I checked IMDb, and sure enough he was in the movie uncredited . Which seemed kind of odd since it was deep in his career and it was not a cameo.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2017 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Blazing Saddles (1974).

More than 20 years ago this film was on TV and all my friends talked about how funny it was the next day at school. Lo these decades later, I finally got around to watching the whole thing.

I think I'd have found it funnier back then. Still had quite a few places that had me chuckling out loud. More than a little sad that the dumbass prejudice that the films spends so much time thumbing its nose at is still apparently live and kicking in 2017.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 01 September 2017 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

trivia, I noticed who I thought was Jimmy Cagney in the background of a couple of scenes. So I checked IMDb, and sure enough he was in the movie uncredited . Which seemed kind of odd since it was deep in his career and it was not a cameo.

TCM has this to say:

"While sailing his yacht on vacation, James Cagney came upon the production crew. Since director Frank Lloyd was an old friend, he asked him if he could work on the film to make a few extra bucks (he was on suspension from Warner Bros. at the time). Lloyd had him dressed in a naval uniform and used him as an extra for the day."

As a teen, I had a plastic model kit of the Bounty and was much amused to note that one of the tiny crew figures (no more than a quarter inch tall, if that) was a spot on likeness of Gable!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2017 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

"TCM has this to say:..."

Well that explains that, thanks.

Also interesting that even though BOUNTY had those 3 leads nominated for best actor none of them won it. That went to Victor McLaglen from THE INFORMER.
THE INFORMER also won best writing, director and score.
So what won best picture?...Why MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY of course.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2017 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Guardians of the Galaxy, watched in readiness for Vol 2
on release next week,a feelgood romp that I left the
cinema smiling.Still enjoy it.

Edited by Bill Collins on 01 September 2017 at 2:53pm

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 01 September 2017 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

ALIEN: COVENANT (2016)

I knew I wouldn't like this, but, geez, I'm only 12 minutes in.....!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 01 September 2017 at 5:22pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Oh, and it completely negates PROMETHEUS.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 02 September 2017 at 1:35am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Oh John...

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 02 September 2017 at 1:40am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

COLOSSAL (2016) - Fun Anne Hathaway film that also stars Jason Sudeikis and Tim Blake Nelson.  It wants you to think that it's one thing going in (a romantic comedy) but what it really is turns that notion on its head half way through.  Anything more and I'll spoil it.  Highly recommended.  

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 02 September 2017 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

If I may be allowed a brief rant, COVENANT seems to me final proof that Ridley Scott has forgotten how to tell good stories. Not only is it wall-to-wall cliche (smart people doing stupid things, evil robot, audience double-cross ending), it violates the rules of its own franchise and, as noted, negates the previous film. This is ALIEN III all over again.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2017 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Were they supposed to be smart? Billy Crudup is introduced complaining that the company doesn't trust him because he's a fundamentalist yo-yo, a character trait the film builds on and pays off. The women may have technical jobs but in the backstory they still married men with names like "Tennessee." I assumed the imbecility was textual.  

At the very least it takes place in a universe where science fiction films were never invented. Nobody bats an eye when the genocide-bot cuts his hair (HOW DOES A ROBOT GROW HAIR?!?!!?)  for what can only be the purpose of replacing his lookalike on the crew, so why wouldn't they go into a basement and stick their faces into a space egg?

I hope the next one is set in a futuristic summer camp. Maybe that's what all the embryos were for.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2017 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

In Prometheus they treat alien creatures that resemble
cobras as if they were fluffy kittens,I'd say that was
dumb for the sake of dumb wether it's a sci-fi universe
or not!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 02 September 2017 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Were they supposed to be smart? Billy Crudup is introduced complaining that the company doesn't trust him because he's a fundamentalist yo-yo, a character trait the film builds on and pays off. The women may have technical jobs but in the backstory they still married men with names like "Tennessee." I assumed the imbecility was textual.   

Biased, much?

I am a hardcore atheist, but I do not assume religious people are stupid. Misguided, sure, but there have been some brilliant people who had the sad character flaw of religion.

As to "Tennessee," curiously enough, there is nothing in the film to indicate this is a nickname. It is the name on his computer screen ID, for instance. And even if it was a nickname, it is the worst kind of arrogance to assume it indicates low intelligence on his part. Tennessee Williams, anyone?

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2017 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

"Dallas" was an excellent character in the original ALIEN, don't forget.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2017 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

THE AMITYVILLE HORROR (1979)

The sequel, which is actually a prequel, is in a league of its own if you ask me, but the first film is probably the best. It's a good example of "less is more". It's what you don't see, and what you feel, that works here. For a film that is nearly 40 years old, it's aged surprisingly well.

It's just a shame that, like many horror films, they went to the well once too often (wasn't there a later entry where a lamp was haunted? Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel). 

This one remains the best of the franchise.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2017 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Ah, the original AMITYVILLE...

When I was about, oh, 7 or 8, I was completely fascinated with the story and imagery of the original film... the ads & posters were very creepy ("For god's sake... GET OUT!!"); a particular segment on TV's "That's Incredible!" gave me nightmares for days; and when I finally saw the edited version on network TV (around '81 or '82?), I thought it the single most disturbing horror film I'd yet witnessed.

Years and years later, I bought a copy on DVD, for nostalgia's sake, and I have to admit:  Most of it I find downright laughable today, particularly Rod Steiger's over-the-top hammy acting, the cheap blinky-blink red, floating eyes outside the window, and Helen Shaver's ridiculous demon voice/possession scene.

However...

There are still brief moments here & there, when coupled with the fantastically diabolical Lalo Schifrin score, that instantly take me back to when I was about 10 years old, and I can still get a major case of the goosebumps.

Can't quite agree that it holds-up too well... and yet it still does the trick!

EDIT:

Lo & behold, look what I found on YouTube:

Now imagine first seeing this at about 8 years old... is it any wonder this screwed me up for days??

Edited by Shaun Barry on 02 September 2017 at 5:30pm

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 03 September 2017 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

MONTY PYTHON'S LIFE OF BRIAN (1978)

Not as sacreligous as I wanted it to be, but still gets funnier every time I watch it.

Also, every time, I wonder about the identity of the blonde with the startling modern hair style who starts the Cult of the Gourd.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2017 at 9:02pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Myrna Loy, Shirley Temple & Cary Grant in:
THE BACHELOR & THE BOBBY-SOXER (1947)

First-time viewing, as it was included in a Cary Grant DVD box set I got on the cheap at Costco a few months back...

By today's standards, I suppose it can't help but be a little too uncomfortably skeevy and sexist at times, but the whole is generally agreeable, and there are some admittedly uproarious moments.  Lots of smart, knowing dialogue, with all three leads at the top of their game.

Also another great reminder of what a fantastic comedic actor Grant could be.

<< Prev Page of 393 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version