Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 385 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2017 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

A question about BATMAN (1989), I have. I have commented on the film in previous topics (and I don't think my question warrants a topic of its own).

In the gallery scene, where Joker and Vicki Vale are having "lunch", Batman swings in, fires a grappling hook - and rescues Vale, before taking her to the Batcave.

Why didn't he try and tackle the Joker once he entered the gallery? I know rescuing Vale was a priority, but, and I know this is pedantic, he had the opportunity there and then to at least try and do something about Joker. Instead, he just...left him. And drove away with Vale (battling Joker's goons at some point).
Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2017 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

CONTACT (1997)

This one blew me away 20 years ago, when I first caught it at a Thursday night preview (the only time I've really done that)... and I ran out the very next week to catch it a second time.

Today, it's flaws are a little more apparent, in terms of logic gaps, plot contrivances and general implausibility (even back then, my biggest gripe was the blatant time compression, where the scientists decode the alien language & instructions, and build the advanced space transport in, what, 2 years tops?--never mind the ridiculous funding that would entail!), but overall, it still holds-up for me rather well.

An amazing opening sequence, good performances, an appropriately gentle score from Alan Silvestri... and yes, an ending that still manages to choke me up a bit (maybe moreso now that I'm a parent).

Good stuff.  One of the better science-fiction attempts.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2017 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS (2001)

Good, solid fun. Plenty of fantastic car stunts - and I did care about the characters, too. Definitely lots of glitz and glamour. Worth every penny (Blu-ray version). 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2017 at 5:06pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

To go back to your BATMAN question, Robbie:

I never wondered about Batman confronting the Joker and his goons in that scene... I always wondered HOW did that Bat-hook and -line support the combined weight of Batman and Vicki?  When it looked like the little harpoon shot into the concrete wall by only about an 8th of an inch???

Edited by Shaun Barry on 10 July 2017 at 5:07pm

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2017 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

DRAGNET (1987)

No comedy classic, and too long by a good 15 minutes, but a pleasant-enough time-waster.  Originally got a big kick out of this in the theaters, 30 years ago this summer (*heavy sigh!*), and re-watched it many times on cable afterwards.

Today, it's fairly slight, and it's debatable whether or not they needed to make this a parody to begin with (at least they changed the main character to be Joe Friday's nephew), but the main reason for me to revisit was the very funny chemistry & performances by Dan Aykroyd and Tom Hanks.

Probably no real reason to ever revisit again after this, mind you, but it was good fun to catch one last time.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 11 July 2017 at 5:52am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

DRAGNET may have been the first to decide TV dramas should be turned into comedies for the movies.

And look where that's gotten us!!

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2017 at 5:54am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

THE BOONDOCK SAINTS 2: ALL SAINTS DAY- I watched the
first one sometime about a year or so ago and liked it
enough to put this one on my Netflix list. Sort of fun
if you're in the right mood. Would've benefited from
being 25 minutes shorter.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2017 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

2 FAST 2 FURIOUS (2003)

A pretty solid sequel. I missed Vin Diesel, but Tyrese Gibson's character was a lot of fun. Many memorable moments - including a car chasing a speedboat. Loved it. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2017 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Jack Reacher (2012).

I found this to be still very watchable even on this second time of asking. Quite a decent little detective story for the most part and they even manage to do a brief but tensely effective stretch where you don't know who to trust. It gets a little far-fetched and I didn't find the denouement totally satisfying, but a decent film overall.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 July 2017 at 2:11am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That's what I think dooms the REACHER series of films, of which there are only two and that will probably be it.  They are just OK detective stories without a hint of anything new or different.  I enjoy the original, but it's nothing special and certainly nothing that we haven't seen on television.  There's just not a lot of "there" "there" if you know what I mean.  It is what it is without being much of anything else.  Take away being a vanity project for Cruise, who loves the character, there's not much else to sell it to a wider audience.  

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 12 July 2017 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

DUNE (1984)

Superb production design and near perfect casting, undercut by a plodding script that is somehow simultaneously unfaithful and too faithful. Might have been vastly improved if David Lynch had trusted his audience to follow the story without narration that is almost immediately repeated in dialogue.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2017 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Another round of punishment:

DIE ANOTHER DAY (2002)

Okay, I bought this sight-unseen when it first hit DVD, simply because I'm usually a pushover for any kind of BOND film, and it featured Halle Berry in an orange bikini... a no-brainer, right?  Imagine my surprise when I discovered that it very quickly, for me, turned into the single worst James Bond movie ever made!  I've long said it's the BATMAN & ROBIN of this particular series of films.

To help make it more palatable this time around, I watched it with the commentary track from director Lee Tamahori and producer Michael Wilson... much more enjoyable that way!  But even the visuals are still ridiculous, even by the more outlandish standards of a typical BOND film.

Too bad Pierce Brosnan ended his run on such a low note... I very much liked him in the role.  He deserved better.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 13 July 2017 at 9:41am

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2017 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I have not seen DUNE, but feel it's one of those films that I want to see, sort of a "bucket list" thing. Keep looking at the novel in Waterstones, thinking about buying it. 

I've heard some negative things about it, but as a historical curiosity, I am intrigued.

I did actually buy it on VHS about six years ago - and my VCR player broke immediately... 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2017 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Robbie,I read the book in 1983 after Iron Maiden did To
Tame A Land,Herbert refused to let them call it Dune.I
could tell that it was one of the many influences of Star
Wars!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2017 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Too bad Pierce Brosnan ended his run on such a low note... I very much liked him in the role.  He deserved better.
--

I like Brosnan a lot, and on paper he seemed a good fit for Bond, but I don't think it worked out too well. The movies were generally bad - some of them downright awful - and that didn't help matters. I felt he was more Bond in a movie like NOVEMBER MAN than he ever was in his actual Bond movies.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 13 July 2017 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

LUCY (2014)

What can I say? Fourth or fifth time? More? Doesn't make a lick of sense, but I love it!

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2017 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

THE LADY VANISHES (1938), one of Hitchcock's earlier films.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 13 July 2017 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Too bad Pierce Brosnan ended his run on such a low note... I very much liked him in the role. He deserved better.

A reviewer back in the day perfectly summed up my own reaction to Brosnan as Bond -- he said the whole thing felt like an SNL skit.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2017 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I remember some being in awe of his invisible car - but Nick Fury had an invisible car long before 007. ;-) 

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2017 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I only became a Brosnan fan post-Bond. 

Aging gave him a quite appealing gravitas, which he fundamentally lacked, for me, as James Bond.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2017 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

A reviewer back in the day perfectly summed up my own reaction to Brosnan as Bond -- he said the whole thing felt like an SNL skit.

+++
I like Brosnan as an actor, but by casting someone who was effectively the tv version of James Bond, the producers turned the film series into its own cheap knock off.

I hated DIE ANOTHER DAY. James Bond ordering mojitos? I think not.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2017 at 9:33pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

LIGHTS OUT (2016)

Sleeper horror hit from last summer, big disappointment for me.

I loved the initial trailers, but within the first 7 minutes, I had the feeling that the whole just wasn't gonna cut it for me, and sure enough, it didn't... incredibly lovely actress Teresa Palmer gives a wonderful performance as a protective big sister, but the kid brother was especially annoying and was a big distraction.

Over-written, over-plotted, and ultimately just too silly and preposterous for its own good.  Some nice, eerie imagery here & there, but also too many cheap jump scares.

I was really hoping to love this one, but in the end, it's typical Hollywood horror schlock.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2017 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

SUPERMAN AND THE MOLE MEN (1951)

Entertaining and solid fun. I like the concept of the Mole Men. Great story from beginning to end.

And thus begins my DC superhero "marathon". I'm going to watch EVERY theatrical DC film. That was the first. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2017 at 3:42pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

(Every one, huh?  Let us know how you hold up!)  :)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2017 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Every one, yes. ;-) 

<< Prev Page of 385 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version