Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 373 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2017 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Big fan of DePalma's version of The Untouchables. Interesting score by Ennio Morricone on top of all the other strengths you mentioned, Shaun.

I watched Clash of the Titans (1981) last night. A childhood favourite -- I was a fan of Greek mythology and Harryhausen -- but if I was to strip away all nostalgia, this only holds up in places. Olivier as Zeus is interesting and the Medusa sequence is excellent (though shorter than I remember!), but Burgess Meredith seems a little out of place and Bubo seems really out of place. I lapped the little mechanical owl up as a kid, but having it bleep and whistle really does seem like an attempt to mimic Artoo's popularity.
Back to Top profile | search

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2017 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

My sister called me in a rage after seeing the Clash of the Titans remake, because there was no Bubo.
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2017 at 3:05am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK.

Not much new to say about it, except that I hadn't seen it in quite a while, and that they truly don't make them like this one anymore.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2017 at 8:15pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

THE CONJURING 2 (2016)

It's pure bunk, but it's well-made, well-directed, extremely effective and spectacularly scary bunk.

Very rare for a horror sequel to have such a big impact on me, but it's one of the scariest films I ever saw in the theaters (just the score alone will make the hair on your arms & neck stand straight up), and my favorite movie from last year.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2017 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Frankenstein (1931).

First time I've ever seen this in its (quite brief) entirety. Karloff's monster deserves his iconic status, being both horrible and surprisingly pathetic and he is easily the best thing about the film. The art design is also very well done. I struggle to empathise with 'Henry' Frankenstein -- as with other versions of Victor in the various adaptations over the years. frankly, he's a an unusual protagonist. The first half of the film, he's more like a mad villain, but by the end our sympathies are supposed to be with him I think. I find that shift unsatisfactory, though maybe the ambiguity was supposed to be the point.

I prefer Cushing's version from Hammer's 1957 version, where he is just an out and out bad egg.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 10 June 2017 at 12:37am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

THE MATRIX (1999) - I hadn't seen this movie in at least 15 years.  It's on sale this week on iTunes for $4.99, so we bought and watched it tonight.  Solid film.  Revolutionary, really, when you think about it.  It's a precursor to every superhero film told over the last 17 years.  That said?  It should have ended there.  Been one and done.  I haven't watched in as long as I have because the sequels diluted and undermined the original in such a way that I found it hard to see what I loved about it.  So I think I'm going to ignore the sequels.  Put them out of my mind.  Pretend they never existed.  That's the only way I can truly enjoy the original. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2017 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Last time I went back and revisited the Matrix I really enjoyed it. It managed to give me the same buzz I got when I first watched it -- and I totally agree the sequels did nothing other than to diminish the original and fog up its qualities.

I watched The Kid (1921). What a sweet movie! Chaplin is so watchable in this film, his actions and acting so well-polished and effective -- he really does manage to convey everything he needs without the need of intertitles. The film is a wonderful mix of comedy and pathos and the overall result is utterly charming. The cherry on top is the wonderful score, which I understand Chaplin added in the 70s.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2017 at 8:58pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE (2016)

Nothing that spectacular--it's a solid B+ comedy--but I would gladly watch five or ten more movies featuring Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart, they're both that good together.

Don't necessarily need a sequel, just more of these two, in any comedy!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2017 at 7:53pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Followed by:

The Marx Bros. in A DAY AT THE RACES (1937)

Enjoyable, though overlong, and not quite as good as DUCK SOUP or A NIGHT AT THE OPERA.

Still loaded with some great lines!

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2017 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It should have ended there.  Been one and done.  I haven't watched in as long as I have because the sequels diluted and undermined the original in such a way that I found it hard to see what I loved about it.  So I think I'm going to ignore the sequels.  Put them out of my mind.  Pretend they never existed.  That's the only way I can truly enjoy the original.

That's how I handle THE MATRIX, too.
Back to Top profile | search | email

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2017 at 2:58pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Same here... I think anyone growing up in the '70s & '80s was almost automatically conditioned to think of sequels as a good thing, and that any movie collections were not complete if you didn't have every single entry to a given series.

For me, too, there's the original MATRIX--and that's it!  (I tried giving Parts II & III a chance on cable... I found both to be unwatchable.)

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2017 at 8:32pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

PREDATOR (1987)

Certainly caught it a few times during its late-'80s cable heyday, but hadn't watched it in full since then...

Admittedly, not a particular '80s favorite of mine (I can think of other, better Schwarzenegger, John McTiernan and/or alien films from that decade)... sometimes the cornball movie machismo and excessive gun violence can get tiresome for me, and I think it takes a little too long to get the full-on Predator action going, but it's still enjoyable.

(I will add that Bill Duke has one of the greatest faces for movies, ever!)

Edited by Shaun Barry on 12 June 2017 at 8:57pm

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 12 June 2017 at 9:46pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

One of the things I enjoyed about PREDATOR was that Arnold was Arnold not so he could kick ass, but so that he could still be alive at the end!

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2017 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

...sometimes the cornball movie machismo and excessive gun violence can get tiresome for me....

I think that's part of the charm.

C'mon..."I ain't got time to bleed!" It's not Shakespeare, but that's a GREAT line. Uttered by a guy who carries around a helicopter gun as a personal weapon.

Others abound:

"If it bleeds, we can kill it."

"You ain't afraid of no man!"
"There's something out there waiting for us. And it ain't no man!"

The fact that these guys are THE toughest, meanest, most savvy (and well-armed) guys on the planet (ours, anyway), and they're still scared and get their asses handed to them speaks to how dangerous the Predator is.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 13 June 2017 at 1:02pm

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 13 June 2017 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Another thing I like about PREDATOR is that it forces the audience to pay attention. I used to call it "the intellectual's slice-and-dice movie." Archie Goodwin agreed. They don't just hand us the plot, they trickle it out in bits and pieces.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2017 at 3:29pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I did say "sometimes," Brian!  :)

I certainly understand its popularity.  For some reason, it just never clicked overall with me, at least in terms of its re-watchability factor.  Once it initially left cable TV, I never rented or searched it out again.  

(Until now, of course--hey, I couldn't pass up the Blu-ray on sale for only $6!)

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 13 June 2017 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

A double feature while visiting my brother in northern New Jersey

RUMBLE FISH (1983) - Francis Ford Coppola's second adaptation of a S.E. Hinton novel, and I like this one much better than THE OUTSIDERS. I haven't seen it since it first appeared on cable, and it was great to revisit it. Coppola collaborated on the screenplay with Hinton, and I think it works incredibly well. Performances are all very strong - it's one of the few times I like Mickey Rourke. Matt Dillon is excellent in this. The score is by Stewart Copeland, and it's an inventive, unusual score that works well

INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS (2013) - I'm not sure why I stayed away from this Coen Bros. movie for so long, but I am glad I finally saw it. It really blew me away. The music, the performances, and the filmmaking are all right on point. One of their best. I already want to see it again.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 13 June 2017 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

JIMI: ALL IS BY MY SIDE (2014)

Given that I knew next to nothing about Hendrix when I started watching, I found this bio quite absorbing. Mind you, I can't be sure I actually know a whole lot now!

Hendrix is portrayed as a decent guy with some serious demons pushing him to make bad choices. The movie ends a few months befor his death at 27.

Recreation of the Sixties, thru which I lived, is quite astonishing. As is the casting of André Benjamin as Hendrix.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2017 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I friggin' love PREDATOR. It has no pretensions about being more than a solid action/popcorn movie, but does its job in a very clever way. Likable characters with interesting nuances and bits of backstory, and, as JB notes, a story that requires you to pay attention. Also, it contains enough pure testosterone to kill a dozen Lifetime Channel movies.

Originally, the film did not have that opening shot of the Predator's pod being dispatched to Earth by the mothership, but the studio was worried that the film would need to make clear to the audience from the very start that the Predator was an extraterrestrial. So, it could have been even more subtle in the unfolding of its story than what we ultimately got.

Matthew Chartrand
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2017 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I'v seen the green screen footage of the Jean Claude Van Dame Predator, but have they ever shown the uncloaked version of that original alien design?

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2017 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Sean Connery is James Bond 007 in YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE (1967)

Probably the best of the post-GOLDFINGER Connery/BOND films... not as bloated & overlong as THUNDERBALL; not as poor as DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER; and a little more essential than the curiosity of NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN...

Not great, but there's a lot to like, especially the John Barry score (one of my BOND favorites), the stupendous production design from Ken Adam, wonderful Japanese location footage, and of course the inclusion of Donald Pleasence as Blofeld... a performance that, for better or worse, would be parodied for the next 50 years!

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2017 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

JIMI: ALL IS BY MY SIDE (2014)...

Recreation of the Sixties, thru which I lived, is quite astonishing. As is the casting of André Benjamin as Hendrix.

I was born in 1969, so I can't speak to the 60's recreation so much. But based on footage I've seen of Hendrix in interviews, Benjamin seemed to channel him perfectly.

Apparently, the Hendrix estate frowned upon the more negative aspects of the portrayal and denied usage of any of his recordings...or even songs. A shame. It's a pretty good movie, all around. Having some actual Hendrix music could have made it exceptional.

Hayley Atwell as Jimi's girlfriend was a nice bonus.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 16 June 2017 at 8:59pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN (2016)

Beautiful production designs, but otherwise a pretty blatant X-Men imitation with time travel thrown in for good measure.

Underwhelming.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 17 June 2017 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

WALL-E (2008)

A friend talked me into watching this with her, and a second viewing did nothing to improve my opinion. In a nutshell, I find this a repugnant movie, with its message that it's okay to destroy the environment, because we can always go away for a while and the Earth will heal itself so we can come back -- after having learned nothing at all about improving our ways.

That plus the film's dependence on the audience having no long term memory just adds up to a waste of time and talent.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2017 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

WALL*E is very popular in our household--the kids and I get a big kick out of the visuals, humor and sound effects--but yeah, the story doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and there are a lot of logic gaps that stick out immediately, once you start to pick it apart.

However, for me, my biggest gripe has always been the rather bizarre conceit of sticking a live-action Fred Willard into the CGI mix.  Just doesn't work, and I can't quite understand the thinking behind that one!

<< Prev Page of 373 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version