Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 395 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2017 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"Sadly, there's no Basic Instinct 3. If there were, I'd want it to end with Catherine ice-picking herself in the chest as she topples..."

My brain processed that as "I'd want it to end with Catherine ice-picking herself in the chest as she's topless". Hey, since it's BASIC INSTINCT, it could happen!
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2017 at 10:11pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

That would be thematically in keeping with the series, I agree. Other possible third movie concepts for Catherine Trammel...

She could clumsily fall into a Sarlacc pit fifteen minutes into the movie.

She could time-travel to the Old West to kill the ancestors of the men and women she's killed in the other movies. 

She could be exposed to artificial Cathronite tm , split into two, and battle herself.

She could team up with her father to track down a mythological biblical treasure. Can you imagine the daddy issues? Yikes...

She could fight Venom. Or Freddy Krueger. Or Jason. Or the Predator... Or all of them.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2017 at 10:15pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

THE EVIL DEAD (1981).

I've never seen any of these movies, so I'll be exploring this franchise, next.

I totally get why this is a cult classic. Gloriously schlocky fun, and full of gore and black humor. A very impressive--and super low-budget--display of raw talent from first-time director Sam Raimi. Looking forward to checking out the sequels. And maybe even the remake as well as the new ASH VS. EVIL DEAD series.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2017 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Not the biggest fan of the EVIL DEAD films as a whole (I also avoided the remake and haven't seen the TV series), but I will say that not only is the next entry (EVIL DEAD II) the best of the series, I also think it's the quintessential Sam Raimi movie.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2017 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

EVIL DEAD II (1987).

Much more self-aware and over-the-top than the original, but also quite fun and fast-paced. A lot of good gags and moments.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 21 April 2017 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

LOGAN'S RUN (1976)

A year or so back I read the book this movie is "based" on. So different from what I remembered of the movie. So, tonight I decided to give it a second (or maybe fourth) look.

Slow as molasses, with a lot of money spent on costumes and sets, but unconvincing special effects. Even in first release I was embarrassed by the opening exterior shot of the city domes.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2017 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

ARMY OF DARKNESS (1992).

The bigger budget and shift to a swords and sorcery/fish out of water vibe depart too much from the schlocky joy of the first two films, but this one is still fun. 

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 21 April 2017 at 5:57pm

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2017 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I still recall catching ARMY OF DARKNESS on opening weekend, in a college-town theater... the show was sold-out and the audience went nuts the entire time.  While I didn't love it (I think overall it's just waaaaaay too goofy), I still remember thinking, "Wow, this thing is going to be huge," simply because of the enthusiastic crowd response.

Imagine my surprise when it opened in something like 5th or 7th place for the weekend!

I certainly understand its cult status, though... and the scene with the little Ashes is a riot.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2017 at 11:46pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I think that Bruce Campbell's considerable charm makes those movies work far better than they might have, otherwise!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 12:31am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
LOGAN'S RUN (1976)...Slow as molasses, with a lot of money spent on costumes and sets, but unconvincing special effects. Even in first release I was embarrassed by the opening exterior shot of the city domes.

I know I shouldn't like this movie, but I'll be damned if it doesn't hold a special place in my heart.  I didn't see it in the theatre, but I'm sure I saw it a year later on network TV so I was an impressionable ten year old before the release of STAR WARS.  There's just something about it that, despite its glacial pacing, captivates me.  It really is just about the last of a generation of movies before Lucas revolutionized the genre.  It's so 70's (which isn't a good thing, but definitely puts me back in a time and place...nostalgia) that I can't think badly about it even though I know I should.

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

LOGAN'S RUN turns up on tv every few years and I always sit down to give it another shot, thinking it will eventually "grow" into a minor classic.

It never does.

But points for Jenny Agutter taking her clothes off!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

And now she's playing an old nun!!!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

After LOGAN I tried THE OMEGA MAN (1973). Those two, along with SOYLENT GREEN are in a set I picked up a while back, cheap.

This was the period when Charlton Heston became the go-to guy for sci-fi. Starting with PLANET OF THE APES he was suddenly the one Hollywood thought of first for movies like these.

I realized while watching that I had not actually seen OMEGA all the way thru. And I was reminded why. Really not much to recommend this one, except those haunting views of a deserted LA. I should look up how they achieved them, in those days before CGI. Based on the shadows, they were not shooting a 6 o'clock in the morning!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Ha! Just checked the IMDb. They shot most of the LA exterior scenes on the weekend, when downtown LA was virtually deserted!!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

LOGAN'S RUN shouldn't work on any level... but the whole is so bonkers, it can't help be entertaining.  I always laugh and shake my head, but I re-watch it often!

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

ME BEFORE YOU (Netflix Blu-ray)
TERMINATOR: GENYSIS (Amazon Prime streaming)

The wife wanted to see the former. And it was quite good. I'm not a Game of Thrones watcher, so I wasn't that familiar with Emilia Clarke. Her character was supposed to be...adorkable, I guess. Mission accomplished.

Within a day or two of that, I happen to stumble across GENYSIS, also co-starring Ms. Clarke. I went in with really low expectations, so maybe that's why I didn't think it was all that bad. I had fully intended on turning it off if I felt it was unwatchable within the first 5 minutes. A half-hour later, I'm all in. Not without its flaws, and has nothing on the original (or T2), but, you know that feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when you realize you just wasted 2 hours of your life on a really bad movie? I didn't feel that way at the end of this one.

The one-two punch made me a new Emilia Clarke fan, to be sure. Enough to start watching GoT? Probably not....I know. It's reportedly awesome. Someday, perhaps...

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 22 April 2017 at 3:35pm

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 10:48pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Brian,having seen Emilia Clarke being interviewed on
tv,she her personality seems the same as in Me Before
You.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 23 April 2017 at 5:07am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Caught Ms. Clarke on an episode of THE GRAHAM NORTON SHOW, which also featured Matt LeBlanc. She confessed to a huge (and persistent) crush on Joey, and said she would like nothing more than to have him say "How YOU doin'?" to her.

He complied -- only it came out "How you DOIN'?"

(One of the staff at a diner I frequent looks very much like Ms Clarke in her dark haired form. I've thought about commenting on the resemblance, but I fear the young lady might think that weird old guy was hitting on her!)

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2017 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

MOONRAKER

Easily the most preposterous of the Bond movies. I'm trying to get through them all on Blu, but there are times - like this - when I wonder: HOW has this franchise survived this long?

(Of course, the next is one of the better ones.)

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2017 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Though don't forget, Petter... MOONRAKER was marketed as "James Bond in outer space," only two years after STAR WARS.  How could it have not made money??

(Even today, it's still the biggest hit of the Roger Moore era.)

Edited by Shaun Barry on 23 April 2017 at 8:43am

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2017 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

J.B. it was on Graham Norton that i saw Ms Clarke,she
seemed to have a naturally radiant personality.

Regarding James Bond,let us not forget that the early
Roger Moore ones rode the coat tails of the latest
trend,Live And Let Die-Blaxploitation,The Man With The
Golden Gun-The Kung Fu/Bruce Lee phenomenon,The Spy Who
Loved Me-A bad guy called Jaws and an aquatic
setting,Moonraker-Star Wars...all 2 years after the
fact!

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 12:24pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Just watched that Graham Norton/Matt LeBlanc/Emilia Clarke clip.

Love her.

(It's quite something when Kate Beckinsale is the second-most interesting lady on the couch.)

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 4:04pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

MORGAN.

Sadly, not a movie about Morgan Freeman, but a sci-fi/horror thriller. Heidi and I both figured out a particular plot twist not revealed until the end of the movie when we were about half an hour into watching it. (The movie is just over an hour and a half long) We both gave it 3 stars when it was time to rate it on Netflix before putting the dvd in the mail.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 24 April 2017 at 4:05pm

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 4:15pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

MR. RIGHT (2015)

Again. I should not like this movie. But I do. All in the performances, really. The "story" is kinda like an even more outrageous version of SHOOT 'EM UP.

Jim Lynch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------
Honestly the only reason I watch Logan's Run anymore. I had a sentimental distorted idea of the movie, and when I saw it about 7 or 8 years ago I saw how bad my memory was.

Ms Agutter is also the only reason I ever look at American Werewolf in London.

<< Prev Page of 395 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version