Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 367 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2017 at 6:12am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I remember having the `Corgi` toy car for Xmas around
67/68 it was THE toy to have that year!
Back to Top profile | search | email

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2017 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Woody Allen's ANNIE HALL (1977)

Aside from EVERYTHING YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT SEX, etc. (which I don't own yet), this is the only other Woody Allen film I have any interest in, and currently the only one is my collection.

Can't deny there are some very funny scenes and one-liners in this, even if I don't care very much for the two main characters!

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 15 April 2017 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

THE TEMPEST (2010)

The always interesting Julie Taymor directs the always amazing Helen Mirren as Prospera, in a gender-switched abbreviation of one of Shakespeare's later plays (according to the official chronology).

It mostly works, and is visually stunning.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 16 April 2017 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

THEATER OF BLOOD (1973)

Critics at the time called this one Vincent Price's TRUE GRIT, and it really is. Here's the movie for which he should have received a stealth Lifetime Achievement Oscar like they gave John Wayne.

An actor murders his harshest critics, using motifs from the plays of Shakespeare. Black comedy, really quite clever. Not long after my Ex and I got married, she (being a working actor) showed my Betamax (!!) copy to a party of her actor friends, none of whom had seen it before, and they LOVED it.

Plus, a young Diana Rigg.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2017 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

BACK TO THE FUTURE - Honestly, hadn't seen this from beginning to end in like twenty years. It certainly holds up and is as enjoyable as ever.  Maybe moreso.  

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 17 April 2017 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

PITCH BLACK (2000) - Hard to believe this one came out 17 years ago.  Holds up incredibly well.  The scares are earned, the visuals on a limited budget are well done and the script is lean in all the right ways.  I consider this a one-off, choosing to ignore the truly awful, bloated and pretentious THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK.  

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 17 April 2017 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

CHRONICLES really misses the point. I've noted that PITCH BLACK takes place just down the road from ALIEN, but CHRONICLES moves over into DUNE territory.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 17 April 2017 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Agreed.  I saw it in the theatre and couldn't believe what a 180 it was.  

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2017 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

"PITCH BLACK (2000) -...."

I agree on all points with Matt!
This movie snuck up on me when I first watched it years ago. I rented it on a whim from the new releases section and I was pleasantly surprised.
I didn't really know any of the cast at that time except for maybe Keith David. Very tight movie.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2017 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

BACK TO THE FUTURE - Honestly, hadn't seen this from beginning to end in like twenty years
--

It's one of few movies I can watch on a yearly basis. After 30 + years, it still hasn't lost any of its appeal.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2017 at 8:09pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

HARDCORE HENRY (2016)

A total box-office dud in the States last year, but I found this to be surprisingly ingenious and uproariously funny... loved almost every minute of it!

Maybe not for all tastes (some of the violence is really grisly), but heartily recommended just the same.  It's got "cult hit" written all over it... wouldn't be surprised if it becomes worshiped and studied in college dorms and film schools in another 10 years time.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 17 April 2017 at 8:23pm

Cory Vandernet
Byrne Robotics Member
Henchman

Posted: 17 April 2017 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I love PITCH BLACK, I put it the DVD player 3 or 4 times a year.

I was watching the Making of Alien 3 Documentary a couple of months ago, and David Giler briefly mentioned that David Twohy's rejected Alien 3 script involved a Male prisoner being shipped off to a Prison Planet. Ripley was not in the script because they were unsure if Sigourney Weaver was going to be signed for the movie or not.

Apparently, when Rennie Harlin was attached to Alien 3 as director he wanted the movie to visit the Alien Home Planet, other ideas were bounced around, like a Prison Ship, a Prison Planet, a Mining Colony, and Ripley was included in the next draft, Harlin left the film about this time. Perhaps the Carolyn Fry pilot character may have her roots in Ripley.

Anyway, kinda cool

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2017 at 7:19am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I've seen PITCH BLACK a few times. Not recently, though. Time to fix that.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 18 April 2017 at 8:26am

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2017 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

BASIC INSTINCT 2

A sequel filled with odd choices and ultimately no reason for the Catherine Trammel/ Sharon Stone character to be in it. Moving the action to London, the interactions become more mannered and white-glove which is the wrong tone for a sleazy romp. The director praises himself and his choices in a once-removed British manner on the commentary track, saying that truth and naturalism are deliberately absent since this is, at heart, meant to be merely clever entertainment. Unfortunately, the film doesn't play fair with the audience and undercuts its intent with bad decisions and at least one shameless cheat along the way. 

Sadly, there's no Basic Instinct 3. If there were, I'd want it to end with Catherine ice-picking herself in the chest as she topples backwards into a foundry of molten lead... 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2017 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Gotta say that I rather unashamedly love the original BASIC INSTINCT. Gloriously Paul Verhoeven-esque over-the-top soap-opera neo-noir.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2017 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

BASIC INSTINCT 2 was close at hand. I'm sure I have the first one around somewhere. I should go find it and re-watch it. If my memories of the film are accurate, I agree with you, sir.

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2017 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

THIS IS SPINAL TAP for me. Watched it last weekend. Still makes me laugh.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2017 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY (2016)

I liked it in the theaters, but it's somewhat of a chore on second viewing.  It's not exactly rip-snortin', and the whole just doesn't sing, you know?

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 19 April 2017 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

FRANKENSTEIN 1970 (1958)

Last (and only) time I saw this was on the Late Late Show, circa 1965. Not the most worthy addition to the Monster's canon. Remarkable production design, accomplished thru the use of sets built for other movies!

Sad to see Boris Karloff in his fading years.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2017 at 8:28pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN (2016)

Easter basket surprise... picked this up for my youngest daughter, who is generally inclined to these sorts of movies, and all 3 of my kids ended-up loving it!

And I found it very good as well.  Certainly one of the better Tim Burton efforts in a long, long time.

Which probably means his next feature, the "live-action" DUMBO remake, will be quite the shitstorm!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 20 April 2017 at 2:39am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Really good trilogy.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.  That's why I've been hesitant to watch the adaptation especially considering it didn't do enough box office to merit any sequels.  This is ostensibly the only film version we'll get of the three books and that's too bad.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 20 April 2017 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Although there may have been sequels to MISS PEREGRINE if it had been more successful, they probably would not have based on the other two books in the trilogy.  The movie wrapped up the story; books two and three are condensed into about 10 minutes!
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2017 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Gives me a someone-stepped-on-my-grave kind of shiver to think that Basic Instinct turned 25 years old this year. How in the world can that be?

Verhoeven has had an odd career -- his Hollywood career has a quite distinct identity... that is totally different to the films he made either side of that Hollywood stint.

Also -- doing a quick Google on the man --I'm surprised to find that Verhoeven is 7.5 years older than Spielberg.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2017 at 3:58pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Basic Instinct, which I saw in full youthful male vigor, was the first movie I ever saw where I found myself thinking, "Okay...another sex scene...can we move it along and get back to the plot?"

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2017 at 6:04pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR (1986)

Been decades since last watched.
Movie starts off well enough, I like the premise. Midway thru it falls off the rails, too much Pee-Wee Herman !
The ending has some charm, too little too late though.

<< Prev Page of 367 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version