Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 1016 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2020 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Night #27 (heading into the home stretch!):

IT FOLLOWS (2015)

Ultimately, perhaps not a great film, but very good at what it sets out to accomplish... it is one of my Top 10 favorite horror films of the 2010s, even if its own logic and consistency is all over the map.  Some plot points & contrivances don't make a lick of sense, and there are a couple unintentionally silly scenes, but first & foremost:  It's scary & unsettling, and in a lot of ways that count, the perfect viewing for Halloween week.

Helped immeasurably by the believable & likeable performances from all the young leads; gorgeous, atmospheric cinematography; and a phenomenal John Carpenter-inspired soundtrack.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 28 October 2020 at 3:49pm
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2020 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973). First saw this in 1986. It was a slow-moving disappointment then; a slow-moving disappointment it remains. It has a handful of nice ideas in it, but really only one seems well-suited to a Dracula film (I'm talking about the immortal Count setting himself up as a captain of industry). The film feels too much like the New Avengers rather than Hammer Horror.

Cushing and Lee made many films together, but only three with Hammer as Van Helsing and Dracula. The first of those was a stone-cold classic. The other two flagrantly squandered the talents available to them and were poor films. Dracula AD 1972 is pretty bad, but it maybe edges this film slightly.

Edited by Peter Martin on 29 October 2020 at 11:27am

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2020 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Night #28 - returning to some lighter, classic b&w fare:

Universal Studios' DRACULA (1931)

Ironically enough, considering my love of vampire movies, probably my least favorite overall of the original Universal monster films... a wonderful first 20 minutes, followed by too much talky exposition, and too much action happening off-screen.

Thankfully, it's the 3 main performances that keep me interested throughout:  Dwight Frye as Renfield, Edward van Sloan as Van Helsing, and of course the instantly-iconic Bela Lugosi as the Count.

(Some days, I almost wish Universal would tackle an animated version of this same material, using all these noted actors as models, and bumping-up the intensity for more modern audiences.  I have to imagine a stylized CGI take could look magnificent... but I ain't holdin' my breath!)

Edited by Shaun Barry on 29 October 2020 at 1:47pm

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2020 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Night #29:  

Universal Studios' THE WOLF MAN (1941)

Probably my #3 pick for Universal monster favorites, after FRANKENSTEIN and BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN.  Just a ton of fun, from beginning to end.  There's nothing truly scary about any of these films today, but to me, this still feels like one of the spookier Universal entries... good pacing & tension throughout, with fine performances (this features one of the more solid ensemble casts of all the monster pictures).

All-around, just a great story!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2020 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Night #30:

Universal Studios' THE MUMMY (1932)

After the splendid opening sequence, I find this one a little, ehrm, dry... but it's got another fantastic Boris Karloff performance (that voice!), and it of course looks great (again, the new Blu-ray transfer looks exquisite).

Maybe not one of my favorites, but when it comes to the Universal Monsters, you can't do without it, either!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 31 October 2020 at 5:09pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

THE MUMMY is an annual view for me.

Tonight, however, GOLDFINGER (1964).

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2020 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Iím going to try and talk the wife into either DR NO or GOLDFINGER. If
she shoots thatbdown I may go for LAST CRUSADE.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2020 at 9:16pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Ugh. The wife wanted to watch HOCUS POCUS, so sheís watching
that and Iím watching DR NO.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2020 at 9:35pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

(I feel your pain, Brian... the appeal of HOCUS POCUS almost completely eludes me!)

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2020 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Last night of my Halloween marathon ends with:

HALLOWEEN (1978)

Honestly, not what I had planned... I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a huge fan of the "slasher" sub-genre, but my son wanted to see it, and aside from two scenes that I needed to speed through, the rest is rather tame, compared to what today's generations are subjected to.

Gotta admit:  It's certainly a notable film, but there's more I don't like after each new viewing... even given it's low budget, it just feels like Jaime Lee Curtis and Donald Pleasance (both fine actors in this) deserve a better script, with tighter plot structure, attention to detail, and believable dialogue (and at times, even a better, stronger supporting cast).  Other, bigger fans than me would surely call this a lean & mean thriller... I find the overall story on the slight, kinda sloppy side.

It's okay for what it is, and the filmmakers surely didn't anticipate the level of success it would achieve, going on 40+ years, and it will forever be a rite of passage for Halloween-time... for me, I'm always a bit more disappointed, each time I actually watch it.

(But really:  Genius use of a 1970's Captain Kirk mask!)

Edited by Shaun Barry on 01 November 2020 at 8:34am

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 01 November 2020 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Something occurred to me, watching GOLDFINGER last night.

The big set piece of the film is, of course, Bondís fight with Oddjob in the bullion vault at Fort Knox. As Bond mostly get the crap beaten out of him, the visual display on the atom bomb ticks closer and closer to zero.

Then, after more than fifty years and dozens of viewings, last night it suddenly hit me: how FAST is Goldfingerís helicopter supposed to be, that he expects to outrun a nuclear blast?

I know, I know. Willing suspension of disbelief......

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2020 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"...for me, I'm always a bit more disappointed, each time I actually watch it."

Yep, same with me Shaun. Watched it a couple of nights ago and as with most multiple viewing movies, I become more critical of the "smaller" things trying to make the perfect film in my mind. It's unfair really but can't help myself. I'll tell you what tho, those kids did a really good job of being scared!

And yes I'll be watching it again next year!

<< Prev Page of 1016 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version