Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 1016 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 October 2020 at 6:35am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

KING KONG paperback cover, circa 1965:

Amazing to think that thru all the different moves since then--about a dozen--I still have it!

To the best of my recollection, I had not yet seen the movie when I read this book.

(The image I found online.)

Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2020 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Thanks JB (I really shouldn’t have been lazy should I? Apologies)

That’s a beautiful book.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 October 2020 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I really shouldn’t have been lazy should I? Apologies

••

Forgiven. If you google "King Kong novel" you get a WHOLE lot of results, with no way to know which is the one I have!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2020 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Halloween marathon, Night #12:

John Carpenter's THE FOG (1980)

I've said before... oddly enough, this Carpenter entry feels more appropriate for this time of year than even his more noteworthy HALLOWEEN (a film I can admire, if not love).

Slight script, but dripping with tension and atmosphere.  A solid, straightforward ghost story.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 October 2020 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Continuing with the KING KONG novelization, it's fascinating how much of the dialog is lifted more or less whole from the script--tho an earlier version, I would guess, than the one that made it to the screen. Charlie, the Chinese cook, for example, is replaced by a White sailor called "Lumpy". Dialog is different, but along the same lines.

Since this novel was originally published before the movie reached the theaters, I wonder if this was in the original script?

It's reminding me of the James Blish STAR TREK adaptations, where he combined elements of the first draft and the shooting script.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 October 2020 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

THE THING (2011)

Second attempt since it first arrived on PpV, nine years ago. Hard slogging. Impossible for it not to be predictable and derivative, after all.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2020 at 6:41pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

(Tried watching some of the THING remake/prequel/whatever-it-was a few months ago... couldn't get past the obvious, not-very-good CGI.)

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 October 2020 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Apparently, at the director’s insistence, this version used mostly puppetry to portray the monster(s).

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2020 at 8:28pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Night #13 - Blu-ray upgrade impulse buy of:

Universal Studios' FRANKENSTEIN (1931)

I've had the DVD edition for close to 20 years now, and always figured someday I'd pick up the Blu-ray set (which comes with a number of bonus Universal films) somewhere down the road... but my local WalMart had the original film on sale for only $10, with a nifty & striking "glow in the dark" cover that I couldn't pass up.

Glad I grabbed it, as it's also noted on the back as a digitally "restored" edition... and it looks stupendous, especially for an almost 90-year old film.  Almost like seeing it for the first time!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2020 at 9:59pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Regarding the 2011 THING:

I found these on YouTube a few weeks back... informative and entertaining.  Apparently, there were plenty of practical effects to start, but studio heads demanded a bunch of CGI augmentation on top of said effects.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 13 October 2020 at 10:08pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2020 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Cat Ballou (1965).

I still find this quite funny. The humour, in places, almost feels like a precursor to some of the style of Airplane! Not quite the same, of course, but like an ancestor.

The main song is a catchy little number and this vintage of Jane Fonda, I think, would have made a good Sue Storm.

I also watched Corruption (1968). As I'm a fan of Peter Cushing, I recorded it from TCM, but unfortunately it was one of the worst Cushing films I've seen. Pretty awful. Terribly inapt score as well.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2020 at 9:28pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Night #14:

Vincent Price in THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER (1960)

(It's October, I've got to get in at least one requisite Vincent Price viewing!)

Any horror elements don't really manifest until the last 15 minutes, so until then, it's mostly a gothic, gaudy soap opera... well-done and stylish, for such a typically low-budget production from Roger Corman and American International Pictures.

I have very vague memories of seeing this when I was about 8 or 10, probably on a local TV station on a rainy weekend... first time seeing this all the way through since then.  Perhaps not great, but still very good, and held my interest throughout.  But another top-notch Price performance!

<< Prev Page of 1016 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version