Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: This smells fishy to me Question for the board (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2008 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 1  

Although I'm not backing up Bob Kane, this person is saying he thought up Batman and that Finger and Kane ripped him off.  What do you think?http://www.originalbatman.com/
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2008 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 2  

Even if everything on the site were accurate, the claim that this was the original Batman seems a bit much. At most, the name was ripped off. The Shadow precedes both these characters, so I find the son's argument that it is unlikely that Kane and his father both came up with the idea of a crimefighter who works at night around the same time a little off.

Craig Bogart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2008 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 3  

"...dated 1932..."

They're not just claiming Kane/Finger ripped off this idea... they're saying this predates Siegel & Schuster!

Good luck with that.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mikael Bergkvist
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2008 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 4  

It looks legit, to be honest.
As an artist myself, I can see the seeds being there, which later evolved into Batman.
But if anything is right out stolen, it's mostly only the name.
And I doubt Finger knew anything about any of this..

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2008 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 5  

reading the site -- he also created Nightwing.   Amazing.

Biggest hurdle here is that if they'd sued in the 40s, 50s, 60s or even 70s they may have had a shot at showing material was consciously (or subconsciously) borrowed without recognition to the original work - similar to saying Shazam was a copy of Superman simply because they had similar abilities.  In today's environment there is probably no similarities in the character's origin stories, motivations and costuming and showing that material was borrowed (other than a name) would be very difficult becuase there are so many characters out there that are similar to each other (like Superman and Hyperion) but no body cares anymore.

Besides -- the design looks more like Hanna Barbara's Birdman then DC's Batman.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2008 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 6  

That's quite a loooooong shot.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2008 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 7  

Ludicrous.

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2008 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 8  

First, there's no copyright issue with the name "Batman". It's a trademark, and one that this Foster guy never established. Second, this "Superhero"  looks nothing like Kane's early designs OR the character that Finger helped develop. And that's just visually- The complexities of the early character's backstory are not in evidence.

Second, although there is no evidence of great artistic talent in the work of this Foster guy, he seemed to be a notch or two above Bob Kane. Why would an editor or somebody on staff at the comics company hand samples of a concept off to a freelance artist (one who wasn't all that great) so that he could present it as "his own work"? Foster claims he left samples witth the editorial office. If the company had ripped him off, they would have claimed ownership of the character directly and pulled Kane and Finger in as strictly work for hire. Or more likely, hired Foster.

This is just a silly coincidence that some guy and his family have been stewing over for 70 years. Just looking at the mountains of  material about the early stages of Batman's development is enough to dismiss this as silly.

To top it all off, the differences between Foster's concept and Kane/Finger's concept is so great that even if Kane had stolen the name from Foster, there would not be enough grounds to sue.  Not even back then , when DC managed to sue Fawcett over Captain Marvel despite the substantial differences.

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2008 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 9  

Looks legit to me - why people would assume this guy's not being truthful when several threads in the past have been dedicated to Kane's thievery is beyond me.  It's not like the site shows an exact replica of Batman, it's some other costumed hero with the name.  Total plausible to me.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2008 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 10  

why people would assume this guy's not being truthful when several threads in the past have been dedicated to Kane's thievery is beyond me.  It's not like the site shows an exact replica of Batman, it's some other costumed hero with the name.

----

I don't think people are doubting his honesty as much as dismissing the merit of his claim. Even if Kane had stolen the name, as you mention, Foster had created some other costumed hero, not Batman™.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2008 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 11  

Yeah, really the only thing there is the name.  It's kind of the same as Joe Simon having created a Spider-Man character in the late 50's.  I wouldn't be shocked to find that Kane maybe crossed paths with this guy and swiped the name from him.  Maybe he even saw the drawings.  But the Batman costume developed by Finger is totally different from this one, and it doesn't seem like Foster's concept was fleshed out much beyond "a crimefighter who works at night" so there isn't anything else that could be claimed as stolen.  It would be ironic if Kane swiped the name, since that is the only major part of Batman's character/creation that is not actually attributable to Finger.  

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2008 at 10:52pm | IP Logged | 12  

I think this is a cool story.  Maybe someone remembered the name after Superman's success.  Maybe not.  It means nothing, but it's a cool story.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version