Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: DCP - Digital Comics Preservation (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2008 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 1  

I am not sure if you are familiar with DCP Digital Comics Preservation, they are not making any profit from it and (on the contrary) encourage people to buy the comics they scan and put on the internet. For me it was a great thing, because I live in Brazil and it is very hard to get most of the good stuff, but more importantly, allowed me to have nearly all superheroes comic books that I ever wanted (of course a digital version is not the same, but it works when you do not have an alternative.

JB, What is your opinion on that? I believe that the market for digital comic books is huge and overlooked by the industry and authors, and I believe that a monthly subscription to have full access to our favorite comic creators pieces is something that would definetly work!

I am a great admirer of your work and have been collecting everything I can find, even is it is a digital version.
Back to Top profile | search

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2008 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 2  

Just for the record, the checklist in this website is very usefull for people who likes your artwork. I just learned that you published on Epic Ilustrated 26 - 32 (The last Galactus story) and, thanks to the DCP initiative I am reading it right now for the first time. It is a great feeling to find something like this from your favorite artist after more than 20 years.

Craig Markley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2008 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 3  

DCP=Piracy

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2008 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 4  

Sorry, but I disagree. DCP=Piracy is an unfair statement.

If there is no profit for the Pirate, where is the Piracy?

And, what is the damage to the revenue of a company like Marvel or DC when you create a digital version of a comic book that is not available for many years.

In my opinion we are living an era of several paradigm break. The music industry knows that and the comic industry knows that.

It is time to adapt, like in the rat story "who stole my cheese", instead of complain.

Craig, it would be very interesting if you could explain how you define "Piracy" something that holds no profit for the "Pirate"?

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2008 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 5  

If there is no profit for the Pirate, where is the Piracy?

It could still equate to a unit not sold by the publisher. Say CAPTAIN FLYFAST #26 is released this week and 4 people buy it. Those 4 people then scan the comic and share for others to download. Each original buyer of CF #26 shares it digitally with 100 people. That's potentially 400 units that the publisher didn't sell, yet got into consumer's hands. No, the original 4 aren't making a profit, but they are potentially keeping the publisher from making one.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2008 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 6  

Brian, the same concept applies to libraries, if the comic book is there, anyone could drop by and read the comic, again, the publisher is loosing potential revenues.
Now think about movies on TV after they go to the Cinema, your argument is the same. If a person is watching on tv, then the cinema is loosing something, or the DVD reantal, etc.

For me the companies are losing a tremendous opportunity to adapt. I would be more than happy to pay USD 20,00 per month to have access to my favorite comics.
In fact, who in this forum would not be more than happy to pay to JB USD 20,00 per month to have access to his creations.

Another point. DCP only shares the content of the comic book, not the comic book itself (paper) so it is a different media.

For the record, I spent more than USD 1.000 per year on comic books and hardcover editions, and it is very frustrating when I cannot buy the one I miss in my collection, For example, I am looking for the Marvel Masterworks Uncanny X-Men n.3 is the only one missing in my collection and I cannot find.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2008 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 7  

Just another thought.

Last year I finally purchased the whole Lone Wolf and Cub (Dark Horse Manga).

All 28 books and paid USD 9,95 each. But the size is ridiculous for such masterpiece and I would be happy to pay another USD 9,95 each just to see those marvelous images on my 42" LCD tc set.

Unfortunatelly, the companies believe all readers are interested in spoliling their revenues and would not even consider selling the comics in digital files.

And I am not just talking about the new releases, but also the old stuff, are they loosing revenues from a magazine cancelled 24 years ago?

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2008 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
the same concept applies to libraries, if the comic book is there, anyone could drop by and read the comic, again, the publisher is loosing potential revenues

Well, the publishers have even been known to donate trades to libraries, so they don't seem to have a problem with this avenue. I guess it's because they are the actual property of the library and not the person checking the book out. Nothing to stop you from checking one out, then scanning it when you get home I don't suppose.

QUOTE:
If a person is watching on tv, then the cinema is loosing something, or the DVD reantal, etc.

No, no. The rights of the movie don't belong to the cinema. They belong to the studio. The cinema pays the studios for the right to show the movie. Same as TV networks showing movies. They pay the studios for the right to show the movie on their channel. The rental movie store paid the studio for all those copies of the movie ( and they used to pay a lot more for any given movie than we, as DVD buyers do. Don't know if this is still the case, tho.)

QUOTE:
DCP only shares the content of the comic book, not the comic book itself (paper) so it is a different media.

The content is the whole point. Or would you like to go buy a comic that has nothing but ads and blank pages?

QUOTE:
For the record, I spent more than USD 1.000 per year on comic books and hardcover editions, and it is very frustrating when I cannot buy the one I miss in my collection, For example, I am looking for the Marvel Masterworks Uncanny X-Men n.3 is the only one missing in my collection and I cannot find.

Then you aren't looking hard enough. I just did a very quick search on eBay and stopped when I counted 5 of the very volume you are looking for. It's not the publisher's fault you missed the volume. You seem to think it's your right to get the item for free since, for whatever reason, you missed an issue. It's not.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2008 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
are they loosing revenues from a magazine cancelled 24 years ago?

Maybe. Who knows what old books they are planning to release in an ESSENTIAL, SHOWCASE PRESENTS, MASTERWORKS,  or just general TPB volume. We, the consumer don't until they solicit those old books. Would you have thought ten years ago that you would be able to have the first 50 or so issues of GREEN LANTERN reprinted in 3 affordable, attractive volumes? I sure wouldn't have.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2008 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 10  

If it wasn't for DCP I wouldn't be *buying* any comics.  I discovered that even though the Earth-based comics may be sucking, the "cosmic" Marvel stories were actually pretty entertaining.  Now I subscribe to Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy for whatever that's worth. 

DCP has also been useful for reading things like... old Timely comics that I would never be able to read otherwise.

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2008 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 11  

Please remember that libraries aren't in the habit of scanning books and
distributing copies for free.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2008 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 12  

Brian, it is obvious that the rights of a movie do not belong to the cinema, and yes, tv companies have to pay to the studios to have movies broadcasted, that is not my point. Think on the perspective of the Cinema, if the movie will be released on tv in a few months, then the CINEMA would feel that they are losing potential revenues.
Renting a DVD at the blockbuster is a different story, they do not pay royaties or anything, although they purchase a disc in a contract that allow them to make money renting it.

The content is the whole point, but the media is different, so it is not fair to say that if someone obtain a digital comic the revenue lost is the same that of a comic book on paper. So the revenue basis should not be the same, here the movie concept is the same, or do you think studios charge tv companies the same of the cinema entrance ticket for all house holds that can potentialy whatch the movie.
  Quote:
Then you aren't looking hard enough. I just did a very quick search on eBay and stopped when I counted 5 of the very volume you are looking for. It's not the publisher's fault you missed the volume. You seem to think it's your right to get the item for free since, for whatever reason, you missed an issue. It's not.

I dare you show me the MarvelMaster Works Uncanny X-Men n.3. It is not available anywhere. (it is not X-MEN it is Uncanny X-MEN) And I find outrageous that you suggest that I think that I am entitled to get the item for free, which I am not. I just believe that it is a pitty that readers and fans of comic books are doing a lot more to preserve the history of comic books than the publish houses.

They should understand that there is a paradigm break and they must adapt.

I can assure you that "Playstation Generation" care less and less about comic books and the reason for falling selling indicators has a lot more to do with terrible storylines (Spider-man clone to start) and lack of appeal compared to youtube videos and modern videogames, than to scan of old comic books shared amongst comic book lovers.

The music industry is learning, and learning fast to adapt of new medias. Metallica fought Napster and it didn't worked, now, they are posting music on their website and encouraging people to download it. Comic book industry should do the same.

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version