Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Animal Smarts (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 4:11am | IP Logged | 1  

A couple of years back, I threw in the towel and started feeding the local raccoons dry dog food to cut down on their large-scale digging projects in the bird-feeding area, along with their periodic attempts to take the bird feeders down before I had a chance to. One of the positive effects of this (beyond saving the lawn) is the entertainment value of having raccoons around, including an albino one born this year who looks a lot like a possum but is indeed a raccoon.

The bolder ones know to walk up to me when I'm outside having a cigarette if there's no food on the ground and some of them have figured out what it means when I point and say 'Food!' if they've neglected to check a portion of the lawn.

I feel bad when I see one hit on the road as well, though around here they don't really have any natural predators other than the occasional large dog, so their population is pretty big -- leaving cars as about the only population control they have.

Cheers, Jon

Back to Top profile | search

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 5:18am | IP Logged | 2  

Animals in this country are treated in a manner that would be totally unacceptable in the west. To the Chinese, dogs and cats are vermin and treated like bugs to be squashed. I have seen workers spray oil in a little puppy's face and burst out laughing. I saw two guards kicking a dog that had been hit by a car and dumped in a garbage can, alive. They were kicking it to hurt it more, not to put it out of its misery. Our students recoil in fear at the sight of a little puppy and we have caught students keeping kittens in their locker. To most Chinese, the idea of a pet is laughable. There is a place about an hour from here where you can buy a dog and raise it for food. They leave the dogs tied up for about a month and then suddenly the dogs are no longer there.
I don't know where this mentality came from. I guess when you spend your entire life simply trying to survive, worrying about animals is not high on the list of priorities. However, people are starting to keep pets, especially in the cities, although they are a small, small minority. The Shanghai zoo has a dog section, as well as cats. They just do not understand.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 6:10am | IP Logged | 3  

Tracie, our long-departed pet dog, manifested a lot of traits that spoke of intelligence. She seemed to have an understanding of human vocabulary being able to fetch things asked of her: splippers, socks, ball without assiatnce from us.

She would also undestand things like "wanna go out?", "wanna play?", "wanna eat?", etc, etc, etc. We tested her several times by delivering these queries to her point-blank with, level voices, and no hand gestures.

While I was always impressed with how well she understood us (she would often detect when my Dad would come home tired from work and lick the back of his hands or sit her head on his lap) the thing that floored me is when I realized she had dreams.

I don't know why I would have thought otherwise but I noted a few times how she got animated in her sleep: beating her tail, baring her teeth, whining. She even had rapid-eye movement. I had to wake her a couple of times because her dreams seemed to be very unpleasant. She woke with the same kind of disorientation that I noted in people.

I've heard it said that many scientists consider these manifestations antropomorphic projections on the part of dog owners. Phooey on that!

Michael Ferrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 4  

I don't think there's any doubt animals dream.

I once read an of experiment that was performed on cats. Cruel, but at the same time illuminating.

The cats had surgery performed on them so their muscles wouldn't relax when they were asleep. While they slept, all of them went through the motions of stalking and catching prey.

Now I need to find the reference for that.

Edited by Michael Ferrier on 22 September 2008 at 7:14am

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 5  

Years ago my college biology teacher told the class that scientists (not sure which ones) had declared that the thing that marked human intelligence higher than animals was that we use "tools": we take something other than what it was intended and use it for something else.

But then, he said, it was pointed out that chimps take sticks, rip off the leaves, and use them to get termites out of mounds. And ants use leaves as bridges. And so on.

So then the definition of tool was changed: two or more major modifications are made to an object, to then be used in a different way. So the chimps would have to not only take off all of the leaves but also radically bend or alter the stick for it to count as a tool.

"So" I said "whenever we find an animal that meets our definition of tool-making, we change the rules so that they don't qualify?"

"That's right," he said.

Sure is nice being at the top of the pile.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 6  

In one case I saw, Magpies have been recorded using cars as tools.

Unable to crack open walnuts themselves, they were observed picking them
up from the ground underneath the walnut tree and very deliberately placing
them on the roadway where the car tires were most likely to run them over
and crack them open.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 7  

Not too long ago a friend sent me a video of a crow that was put in a room with some food at the bottom of a bottle. The crow took a wire and very deliberately bent it so that it could hook the food and drag it out of the bottle.

Crows also do the "car as nutcracker" trick.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 8  

My friend the park ranger tells me that there has been an observed case of a
raven using the 'car as a nutcracker' trick on a turtle, as well.

Gary Olson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2008 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 9  

I recommend a story by Chad Oliver entitled King Of The Hill. It appeared in an sf anthology edited by Harlan Ellison called Again, Dangerous Visions, and no doubt elsewhere by now.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2008 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 10  

Not so much a post about smarts but about boldness.  Today I saw a group of 3 racoons (known as a "gaze," apparently) unconcernedly picking around some garbage at a subway station in the Bronx in the presence of commuters.  The people might as well have not been there.

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2008 at 9:00pm | IP Logged | 11  

I consider myself an animal lover...but man, racoons give me the heebie jeebies. Maybe it's the hands.

No doubt, animals in general are smarter than we give them credit for. Except maybe for my cat...but even she has her moments.

Bill Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2008 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 12  

I live in the middle of a city, but near a park, so we
have raccoons and deer in the neighborhood. I often have
raccoon tracks on my car and the raccoons will knock out
garbage can down onto the hood of my car so that they
can go through it without spilling everything everywhere
(it's a Beetle, so the hood is sloped).

I was throwing out some chicken and I thought "uh-oh,
some raccoons will get this maybe I should..." and then
I stopped myself, thought "Wait! I like raccoons!" and
opened the plastic bag before throwing it away.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version