Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: 5 Worst Superheroes...? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 1  

So there was a caller this morning on Howard Stern's show who asked him who he thought were the 5 worst superheroes. I thought his choices were intriguing for several reasons--including the fact that none of these characters ever had a celebrated association w/JB. Anyhow, Howard's choices follow, along with some paranthetical explanations and a few of my personal thoughts. I'd love to get JB's own take on the list, as well as the opinions of others on this board. They were, in no particular order...

*Thor (Howard commented that you just can't relate to a guy weilding a hammer and wearing a funny hat. While I personally love a few of Stan & Jack's cosmic Thor stories and a big chunk of Simonson's run, I basically agree.)

*War Comics (Okay, these are obviously not in the superhero genre, but I will wholeheartedly concur that a war comic has never kept my interest!)

*Dr. Strange (Yeah, Ditko's early trippy artwork is killer, and several of Roger Stern's later issues had solid stories, but this is a character it's hard to get excited about.)

*Martian Manhunter (The JLA's "Flo" [my comment, not Howard's], great as a supporting character, deadly as a lead. Howard also alluded to Marvel having an equally ridiculous Martian character but I have no idea who he was attempting to refer to.)

Ant Man (Sure, JB co-created Lang, but Howard was referring to Pym. And while his mental instability has occasionally made him mildly interesting, I don't think too many people will argue the fact that's he's a pretty flat character.)

"Honorable" Mentions--Green Arrow, Aquaman

Finally, Howard went off on a funny riff about Mr. Fantastic, attributed to Norm MacDonald. Basically the premise was that the other three FF characters got mind-blowing powers too, but none of them were egotistical enough to put the word "fantastic" directly in their codenames.  

Back to Top profile | search

Richard Callaghan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 2  

I would have expected less stellar names in there, though admit Ant Man always seemed a step too far. I mean, while I'm not Thor's biggest fan, the fact that he had a successful book seems to show he ain't so bad. Maybe Disco Dazzler could have been in or something?

As for Mr. Fantastic, that is an odd part of his character. In one of the early issues (first 40 or so) he talks about how everyone began to call it him... even though he gave himself the name. The guy's clearly got some issues.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 3  

I kind of agree with the thought that there's no bad heroes, just bad writing.

Some heroes like Aquaman have suffered from lots of bad writing, but you occasionally see excellent stories featuring 'second-rate' characters and you have to think it's more the writing than the character when a character fails.

Unless you have a really bad concept like NFL Superpro.....
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 4  

For the worst, we'll have to look at Image, the early years. This is not a subjective statement. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 5  

Lets make a list of the five worst radio jocks.

Howard Stern
Howard Stern
Howard Stern
Howard Stern
Howard Stern

Did I miss anybody?

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 6  

I agree about Thor but for an entirely different reason.  Thor is a "god," which is at least one rung above "superhero."

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 31 July 2008 at 8:48am

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 7  

I swear I am NOT trying to be snarky, but this thread brings to mind the rule about not starting a negative thread.  Sometimes I want to start a thread, but don't, out of concern that it crosses that line.   Does this one?

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 8  

That's pretty weak..."these are the worst 5 because I don't like them...".

Brian Talley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 9  

You beat me to it John.....I just can't figure out the appeal of Stern. Guy's about as funny as a cramp.

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 10  

I know JB often brings up the Neal Adams quote about there being no bad characters, and 99% of the time I'm in agreement, but even my willingness to be open-minded is strained by Marvel's premiere bomb:

The Bantam. He made his debut in an Annual during the 90's when the big trend was to introduce "bold new characters" into the Marvel U. I think DC was doing the Bloodlines minis with the same goal. Regardless, this Bantam guy fights crime in Puerto Rico dressed as a rooster. That's it. I'm not even sure if he has powers. And you know he's meant to be a serious character, because he teamed up with Captain America.

Richard Callaghan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 11  

In a funny sort of way that's genius. I note it's also an anagram of...

Robert Tilelli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 12  

Lets make a list of the five worst radio jocks.

Howard Stern
Howard Stern
Howard Stern
Howard Stern
Howard Stern

Did I miss anybody?

yeah...Don Imus....

Edited by Robert Tilelli on 31 July 2008 at 9:07am

Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version