Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: How Smart is Peter Parker? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 1  

"I have no problem with a 20 year old college student Peter Parker with the potential to be the next Stark, Pym, or McCoy. I have a huge issue with a 25-30 year old Parker that hasn't made anything of himself when he's so clearly advanced in his scientific ability."

Exactly!

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 4:56pm | IP Logged | 2  

Brad sums it up very well.  As we have discussed before, a grown up Peter Parker can't be written as a genius because he becomes a loser with all of his problems.  That aspect works well for him as a teen ager or Freshman college student.  If you play up his genius side as an adult, you have to change his lifestyle to at least a normal middle class guy.  That means giving up the part time job at the Bugle.  Why not make him the Bugles' science reporter? But then we get away from things that have been central to the mythos.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 3  

Peter is a genius.  Does he match up with Pym or Reed?  I dunno.  He's too busy with the "Great power, Great Responsibility" motiff to even concentrate on his smarts.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 4  

In the classic Lee/Ditko mode, Peter's too busy trying to pay the bills to devour all the studies his brilliant mind could gobble up.

He's a genius.

William Lukash
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 5:26pm | IP Logged | 5  

Did you guys read the latest ASM?  Pete states that he would have added a thinner to his web fluid if he had known it was going to be cold out.  I thought that was a nice touch to remind readers that Pete is a genius...and Spider-Man.

John Webb
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 6:13pm | IP Logged | 6  

Peter is a genius but has never had the opportunity to show it much due to him taking on the job of being Spider-Man. I would put him on the second tier of Marvel smart guys behind Reed Richards and Tony Stark but around the same level as Hank Pym and Hank McCoy.

In the real world circumstances can derail a genius as much as in the world of fiction you only have to look at child prodogy Sufiah Yusef who is now working as a prostitute.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.htm l?in_article_id=557568&in_page_id=1770

Michael Connell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 6:14pm | IP Logged | 7  

Peter's smart, he's just shiftless when it comes to his studies.

Greg Reeves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 8  

JB had included Peter as one of the top 5 smartest MU characters, which I thought was interesting.  I do like when he uses basic principles of science to defeat his enemies.

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 9  

Michael - He's too busy with the "Great power, Great Responsibility" motiff to even concentrate on his smarts.

John - Peter is a genius but has never had the opportunity to show it much due to him taking on the job of being Spider-Man.

+++

But his smarts are one of his greatest powers! Not using them is irresponsible!

Never had the opportunity to show his intelligence because he became Spider-Man? Isn't that Beast I see leaping all over that Sentinel? Isn't that Mr. Fantastic winding around the arms of Mole Man's monster? And hey, Yellowjacket and Iron Man are really giving a wholloping to Baron Zemo - almost feel sorry for the guy.

It's a goddamn comic book! The only thing Peter Parker needs to devote more time to his studies is a writer who says "Gotta clean Doc Ock's clock fast - that essay on Cold Fusion isn't going to write itself!"

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Edwards
Byrne Robotics Member
Wish Granted

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 10  

Why does Peter always have to work for the Bugle?  I don't get what gives fans chubbies over Peter being stuck with that dead end job.  I actually thought the Teacher job he had was a great change of pace because Peter is smart enough to teach classes.  It's a shame all of that was wasted so he can go back to work for that old skinflint JJJ. 

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 11  

"Why does Peter always have to work for the Bugle?"

Because that's a pretty essential part of what makes the character work. Same reason Clark Kent should work at the Daily Planet, Bruce Wayne should be a billionaire, Matt Murdock should be a lawyer, etc., etc.

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 12  

The only thing Peter Parker needs to devote more time to his studies is a writer who says "Gotta clean Doc Ock's clock fast - that essay on Cold Fusion isn't going to write itself!"

If we're stuck with a 28-year old Peter Parker, then that is indeed something we ought to see.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version