Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: How Smart is Peter Parker? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 1  

Web spinning out of the Hulk Purple Pants thread, Jason Schulman said Peter Parker was a genius because he invented artificial web-fluid.

I agree.

Was young Peter Parker a wunderkind? He helped cure (however temporarily) Curt Conners when he was still in high school. He defeated the Vulture with a sonic frequency device in their first battle. He came up with spider-tracers. He came up with afformentioned web-fluid and the mechanism to fire it with.

How come we never really see that aspect of his personality anymore? Right now, today, just how smart is Peter Parker?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Pelletier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 2  

But he could never learn how to drive the spider-mobile.
He does figure out the trajectories of his swings quickly, and how closely he misses the ground.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 3  

My take was always that Peter was poised to become one of the great hero scientists joining the ranks of Banner, Pym and Richards...but that this was still years in his future.

Of course, now his character has aged from teenager, and he's obviously not doing the scientist thing...and so the writers have to downplay (if not ignore) Pete's brilliance.

I loved how Howard Mackie and JB gave Pete a job that involved being a scientist...great way to incorporate this characteristic in the "older" Peter. There was also a cool scene in an Avengers storyline by Roger Stern in the 80s (the Project Pegasus issues) where Spidey's scientific knowledge and training helped save the day.

Back to Top profile | search

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 4  

Peter is probably just as intelligent as Tony Stark or Hank Pym, but less intelligent than Reed Richards (nobody's smarter than Reed!).

The difference is that Peter's entire appeal lies in the fact that he is always the underdog, so he didn't have all the advantages that Stark, etc. had before beginning their costumed careers.

I don't think writers have to downplay Peter's intelligence at all. There are many extremely intelligent people who have occupations that are not typically associated with intelligence.  It all depends upon the circumstances of one's life, and we all know the hand Parker has been dealt. It doesn't make him any less intelligent.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dan Avenell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 5  

I think he's a very smart kid, but not a genius like Reed Richards. He's basically your average sciencey-nerd comic-book reader exaggerated for the Marvel Universe - where let's face it, half the heroes and villains are capable of inventions and engineering feats that would qualify them as wunderkinds in our world. And then they rob banks/beat up muggers instead of patenting them.

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 6  

But remember, Parker was frequently described by high school teachers and professors as having a remarkable scientific mind. He was definitely supposed to be more than your "average sciencey-nerd comic-book reader."

Mike Dunn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 7  

I like that Peter isn't the scientific super-genius anymore. Marvel has too
many. Plus, it is easy to "reduce" his intellectual power levels.
Lots of very smart kids don't live up to their intellectual potential, especially
when other personal matters get involved. it's not ridiculous for Peter's time
as Spider-Man negatively affecting his scientific career (hard to stay current
when you have no time to read papers, go to conferences, be a scientist, ettc
etc).

m'dunn

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 8  

I don't follow Spider-Man as much as I would like.  I get the impression though that Reed Richards is the ultimate genius of the Marvel Universe.  Everyone turns to him for the problems they can't solve.  After that everyone else is on fairly equal footing: Stark, Pym, McCoy, Banner, Strange, etc.  Where Peter fits in, I don't know.  I am not sure the scientific side of his persona has been exploited as much as it could be.  Peter is more known for being a wise-cracking hero with lots of personal problems.  Those seem to overshadow his scientific brilliance !

Edited by Dan Walsh on 13 April 2008 at 3:04pm

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 9  

I think teen Peter Parker would be as adept in general scientific skill as a teen Tony Stark or Hank Pym.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 10  

I remember a few Marvel books from back in the day in which Spidey had to work some incredibly complex machinery, and someone like Iron Man or Reed Richards would marvel at how intelligent or adept Spider-Man was for someone so young. I haven't seen much of that in the last few years, so I dropped the character's books from my reading pile.

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 11  

In Dan Slott's first issue writing Amazing Spider-Man it's actually pointed out that Peter is a genius...and yet, since his graduation from ESU, he hasn't lived up to his genius in a professional, career-oriented way. Peter doesn't even have any articles published in professional/academic science journals.

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 12  

It's one of the bigger hurdles to jump over when you start aging Peter too much.

If you're really smart when you're 17 and you have all the potential in the world to do great good, you're a bit of an outcast because you're nerdy and you might be a little less socially adept than the popular, jock type character.

If you're 28 and you have a part time job as a photographer and you still have trouble paying rent, you're not nerdy or smart - you're a loser.

Peter should be a bright guy - no excuses, no "well, he's had a hard life." With Great Power there must also come Great Responsibility. Peter is smart, gifted, and his entire reason for being Spider-Man would and should be his entire reason for using that intelligence to do good in the world.

Barry Allen was a forensic scientist, using his smarts for good even when not running around saving people at his other "job." Peter, currently, is a bit of an ass, and he's certainly not living up to the memory of Uncle Ben or his parents or even Aunt May, who he should be able to help out financially as she's getting up there in years and is presumably on a fixed income.

I have no problem with a 20 year old college student Peter Parker with the potential to be the next Stark, Pym, or McCoy. I have a huge issue with a 25-30 year old Parker that hasn't made anything of himself when he's so clearly advanced in his scientific ability.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version