Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Shazam!!! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Chronology

Posted: 27 February 2008 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 1  

I've been slowly working up the nerve to pick up some Golden Age Captain Marvel comics.  I'm finding it hard to pull the trigger because they are pretty expensive, and there's not a lot of reprinted material out there to find out if I'll like them or not.  I've heard it really got good later in the series, long after the period the Archives cover.

So, any recommendations for particular issues of Whiz, Captain Marvel Adventures or Marvel Family I should test the waters with?  What books have the classic stories?
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2008 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 2  

I read SHAZAM! Archives Volume 1 and enjoyed it. 

I've heard the original Monster Society of Evil story is very good but it has been out of print for a long time.  I've looked for collections of it and can't find it anywhere (eBay).  All I find is references that a reprint of it did exist at one time.  Never even seen a pic of it!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

José Emilio Amo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2008 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 3  

I've ordered Archives Volume 1 and 2 in a comic shop 4 months ago and I still waiting. :(

The 70's DC new stuff had sometimes reprints of 50's comics if you want to see how they were, these comics are cheap.
The new Shazam showcase only includes the 70's new stuff and I recommend it.
One of this days will appear a TPB  with the best stories from Shazam.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Trevor Giberson
Byrne Robotics Chronology

Posted: 27 February 2008 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 4  

I like the Batman and Superman Chronicles.  I'd like to see Wonder Woman, Plastic Man and Shazam done that way. (Spirit, Namor, and Captain America, too.  And Uncle Scrooge ;-) )

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2008 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 5  

http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/shazam

While I have come to enjoy and admire Beck's artwork, when I was a kid, it just didn't grab me.  In terms of the DC series, I was always blown away by the art on the last two covers and wished that that artist(anyone know who?) had done much more with the character.  I think there was a half page ad that ran in DC books that was original art too(as opposed to clip art from the comic).

Shazam 34

Shazam 35

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2008 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 6  

Alan Weiss?

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2008 at 3:49pm | IP Logged | 7  

Yeah, the Captain Nazi issue has Weiss art. The other cover, I'm not so sure about, but I believe the interior art is the beginning of Don Newton's considerable and underrated association with the Family Marvel. The series continued in World's Finest.

Paul Anthony Llossas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2008 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 8  

I've never seen those stories.  I hope they do a Shazam Showcase Vol. 2 that includes them.

Michael Andrew Gonoude
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2008 at 3:58pm | IP Logged | 9  

Alan Weiss did #34*; #35 looks like it might have been Mike Netzer (Nasser, at the time), doin' his Neal Adams schtick...

By the way, it's been a while since I read the collected Monster Society of Evil; as I recall, I enjoyed it, overall - as any 25-chapter story is almost guaranteed to do, it sags in one or two spots, but certainly deserves its place in comics history (in fact, I think I'll get it off the shelf when I get home, and give it another reading...)

*Look between the bottom edge of Junior's cape and Captain Nazi's right boot -- there's Alan's signature.

Edited by Michael Andrew Gonoude on 27 February 2008 at 4:09pm

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2008 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 10  

#34 is the one I really like and was never sure about whether the artist was the same on #34 & #35.  The art looked different but I assumed that it was the same artist for some reason.

Is Weiss known for any particular run in comics?  I really like that #34 and would be curious to see what his other work looks like.  Any other super hero stuff in particular.

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2008 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 11  

You may be right, Michael. The Mary Marvel figure certainly looks like Nasser's work.

Edited by Ron Chevrier on 27 February 2008 at 4:05pm

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2008 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 12  

Alan Weiss did a three issue Avengers run featuring Tigra and the Molecule Man. Don't remember the issue numbers though. Sorry. He also created Steelgrip Starkey for Marvel's Epic Comics line many years ago. Most recently I've seen his work on Young Tom Strong in Tom Strong's Terrific Tales from the DC/Wildstorm America's Best Comics imprint. I know that he also did some sword and sorcery material for DC early in his career, but I've never seen any of it. Beyond that, I have to say that his appearances in comics have been pertty sporadic, at best.  Here's another sweet Shazam drawing by him:

Edited by Ron Chevrier on 27 February 2008 at 4:18pm

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version