Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 32 Next >>
Topic: Whatever happened to the X-Men? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2007 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 1  

QUOTE:
Without getting any better, this same artist went on to become a fan
fave, so what does that tell us?

An idea as to who the artist might be, perhaps.

Back to Top profile | search

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2007 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 2  

QUOTE:
Remember, kids! HIDDEN YEARS was canceled because there were too many X-Books!

Ah, if only you somehow contrived to have Wolverine in that book.  You can never have too much Wolverine, apparently...

Brad Teschner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2007 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 3  

I first discovered the X-Men through the Dark Phoenix Saga TPB, as did many of my friends.  That came out right around the time Paul Smith was working on X-Men, I believe.  Sure, he made some pretty pictures during his run as did JRJr, BWS, Marc Silvestri and a score of others but I think most everyone was just hanging around hoping to see the X-Men reach the same story-telling  heights they achieved while JB and Claremont were working together on the book. 

Instead the X-Men fell into a 10 year meat grinder and they never really got anywhere.

Brad Teschner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2007 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 4  

You can never have too much Wolverine, apparently...

Too true...there's even room for a female Wolverine!

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2007 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 5  

QUOTE:
Maddy Pryor ending up being the real Phoenix

Sadly, she did at the end of Inferno which is why I despise that crossover so much. At least the Marauders and Mr Sinister got what they had coming to them in it though, and stayed dead til Chris left.

Cycklops backstory is indeed a mess. On top of being the son of a space pirate, it turns out the orphanage he was sent to was handled by a guy named Mr Sinister who planned it all along and created a Jean Grey clone when she was 10 just to "mess with Scott Summers mind IN THE FUTURE hahahhaha". When Phoenix killed herself on the moon, the P force went back to earth and animated the Jean Grey clone (Madeline). Seriously, all that led up to Inferno was 10 times better and more exciting than the clusterfuck of that was the event itself. Couldn't they just write off Madelyne with a "we're through Scott Summers, I'm taking the baby with me" and have it be that. Argh! rant rant rant I'm pathetic I know.

Edited by Martin Redmond on 10 December 2007 at 11:25am

Bill De Simone
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2007 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 6  

I remember Comics Journal interviews from the late 70s/early 80s, where Shooter was quoted as saying, "Just because he's popular doesn't mean there should be Wolverine Comics". 

So much for that idea.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 December 2007 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 7  

When Phoenix killed herself on the moon, the P force went back to earth…

••

All the bitching and moaning I've been subjected to about bringing Jean
back, and this is the first time I've heard about THAT. Ye gods!!!!

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2007 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
...there's even room for a female Wolverine!

Is she still his daughter?

Donald Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2007 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 9  

Well, I guess I need to start at the beginning.

I discovered the X-men through the reprint series Adventure Comics. 
I simply saw the title X-men at the time and did not realize that they were re-prints(I don't know how I missed this either) until I was deep into the series around issue 9 which was August 1980.  I was telling a new friend at school about this cool team and he told me he had a big pile of these that he would sell me.  HA!  He couldn't fool me they hadn't been around that long.  After a swift and embarrassing education, I agreed to buy his collection for $50.00.

X-Men 101 all the way through that months issue. I read them all, back to back over the next couple of weeks.  I am still impressed today that the storytelling is so good that I didn't really feel lost jumping from what was essentially issue 6 all the to issue 101... after reading a couple of issues I felt all caught up and ready to roll...

And Roll I did,

Let's review...
Birth of Pheonix... Battle on Muir Isle...Battle with Shiar...Mesmero/Magneto storyline...SavageLand...Japan...Alpha Flight...Arcade...Proteus...Search for new recruits...Helfireclub...and finally the resolution of agonizingly slowly developing backplot that became Dark Pheonix...

I finished this run of back to back books and went to my comic store to buy the latest...

This was the first time I can remember being moved to tears by a comic book story.  When my daughter wanted to know why X-men 3 pissed me off so much...why I was so disgusted...I told her to read the same run of books and get back to me....She understood.

This run of comics, raised the bar across the board for me, for life.  I have since expected more, demanded more. 

I stayed with the x-men for many years...but finally left as the stories drifted off into ninja silliness, and the art went sadly south....I've tried to pick it up several times over the years...only to drop it as I couldn't follow a story with buying multiple titles...I did enjoy the whedon take as seemed so oldschool...and a story unto itself.  I miss that.

Don

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mike Farley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2007 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 10  

X-23 is Wolverine's clone. Never was his daughter as far as I know. She was originally created for the X-MEN: EVOLUTION cartoon.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2007 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 11  

QUOTE:
I remember Comics Journal interviews from the late 70s/early 80s, where Shooter was quoted as saying, "Just because he's popular doesn't mean there should be Wolverine Comics". 

I agree with that.  Not having Wolverine titles would solve the problem of "needing" to tell Wolverine's origin.

Donald Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2007 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 12  

I liked his original origin....
Guy with powers(and a bit of an attitude) recruited by Government for super team...decides to work for X-men.

Don
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 32 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version